Top 10 Midnight Oil Songs, and/or your Oils Compilation CD

bltn has been trolling BB hard. First this thread, then the OILS announce a reunion??? Co-incidence? I think not.

I might have to go. Pretty sure i saw them at sth melb footy ground in the early 80s but canā€™t quite remember, lol

Iā€™m taking bltn Jnr to at least 1 show.
He"ll probably be 14 by then, so should be right.

Man, itā€™s been a while since I saw them live.
Going to be mega exciting as the date nears !

I might have to go. Pretty sure i saw them at sth melb footy ground in the early 80s but can't quite remember, lol

l clearly remember the first time l saw them live, 1978, in the tiny side lounge of the George Hotel in St. Kilda. I went there straight after cricket, so l was a bit hot and sweaty, with a few grass stains. Blown away by Garrett and his movements on stage. He wore a pair of leather pants, but no shirt was and was bathed in sweat by the end of the night. So much sweat l forgot about my own grittiness. He was a bit unorthodox, but a real stage presence, as opposed to the obvious rock star style of MHutchence. The band were magic, form go to whoa. l was an instant convert.

1 Like

Blitz made this happen.

Iā€™m watching the Oils set at Sound Relief, and Garrett says between songs just before Power and the Passion, that he is a little bit of a Bombers fan.

Wonder if any blitzers have had a crack at the Garrett dance, I mean what do you call it ?..itā€™s off tap, would take some giant gonads or some good drugs (or both) to pull something like that off in public these days.

Loved the Weekly Show dig.
How do we dance when our earth is turning?
How do you dance when your feet arenā€™t moving?!

balddruggedraver.gif

Wonder if any blitzers have had a crack at the Garrett dance, I mean what do you call it ?...it's off tap, would take some giant gonads or some good drugs (or both) to pull something like that off in public these days.

Flex everything at one time and pretend youre trying to stay put in a wind tunnel

You just scored yourself a LIKE young man :smiley:

Wonder if any blitzers have had a crack at the Garrett dance, I mean what do you call it ?...it's off tap, would take some giant gonads or some good drugs (or both) to pull something like that off in public these days.
Wait, it's not what all the cool kids are doing?!?

Ok, Iā€™ve had a crack at a compilation for 81-87 Oils. Double LP, 16 track goodness. Only listened to it once from start to finish, it might need some tweaking. Basically just realised/reaffirmed Iā€™m obsessed with 10-1 and Red Sails (I couldā€™ve put every track from 10-1 on here), Diesel And Dust is pretty tame these days, all experimentation kinda vanished by Species, and Power and the Passion is a phenomenal song :

Side A:
US Forces
Best Of Both Worlds
Brave Faces
Beds Are Burning

B:
Short Memory
Read About It
Sleep
Jimmy Sharmanā€™s Boxers

C:
Hercules
Power And The Passion
The Dead Heart
Armistice Day

d:
When The Generals Talk
Pictures
Kosciusko
Maralinga

Saw the oils on Redhead beach back in the day, 30.000 there. was unreal, Probably the best atmosphere at a gig I have ever experienced.

have tour dates been announced yet, I think Iā€™d like to see them in a small Sydney venue if possible, as this was their heartland

PS fwiw I think Truganini is underrated even though it was commercially successful

The closest that I've ever seen anyone replicate his dance moves would have been Elaine Benes on Seinfeld.
PS fwiw I think Truganini is underrated even though it was commercially successful

Redneck wonderland is awesome after a few jars.
stuffed if I know what itā€™s about though.

You clearly didnā€™t see me & the mates at (almost) any Melbourne Oils gig in the 80ā€™s then ā€¦ we had 'em down pat.

Sweat?? By christ we did, shirts off, dripping wet, down to the socks on a summers night.

Go in 3/4ā€™s cut, come out judge sober. Good times.

1 Like

Redneck wonderland is awesome after a few jars.
stuffed if I know what itā€™s about though.

Butā€¦really?
Itā€™s about Hanson and Howard, and the ALP falling away to complete irrelevance and the shift in the nationā€™sā€¦feel?
Couldnā€™t be clearer, surely?

It is vision-free.
Itā€™s poor bugger me.
Something less than grand.
Redneck Wonderland.

Edit: Iā€™ve never seen it confirmed, but I always assumed Powderfingerā€™s The Day You Come was on a similar theme.