Top 8 - who drops out to make way for us?

Good thread.

I think there will be multiple changes this year. North is obvious and I think they will be bottom 3.

Hawks will drop out. Consolidation year while Mitchell and Jaeger integrate themselves into the team. I’m also not convinced Geelong will make it. Last year they did well on the back of Danger having his best ever season - but if he copped an injury they would struggle. I also just don’t see where any improvement is going to come from.

The Eagles I think also won’t be as strong without NN and Lycett for most of the year, but It’s hard to see them missing with 12 games in Perth and with Mitchell/Priddis feeding JK. But they could also miss with a few injuries.

So, my prediction:

Out: North, Hawthorn, Geelong, West Coast (possible)
In: Essendon, Melbourne, Collingwood, St.Kilda (possible).

My draft 8:

Sydney
Bulldogs
GWS
Adelaide
Essendon
West Coast
Melbourne
Collingwood

farkcollingwood

I’m in a drafting fantasy league so I’ve been going around other clubs boards lurking to see who they think is best 22 and which youngsters will improve. And the level of optimism and way they talk about their chances is very similar to here. Their older players will hang on or find some of their better form. Their youngsters will come on. Good runs with injuries. New recruits will have an impact. Game plans will be better and the team will jell. At St Kilda, Melbourne, Suns, Collingwood, Port, Fremantle and Richmond (them slightly less) it is the same story as us. The exceptions are North, Brisbane and Carlton fans.

So I’ve become a little more lid on about ourselves. I think we’re a final chance, but I also think the competition is huge. Our draw will help us, but we’ll need lots to hold right. And of course our predictions about multiple youngsters will need to bear fruit. Eg, for all our optimism about our forward line, probably only one 2017 starter (JD) was playing in our F50 at the start of 2016…

But there will be spots in the eight for grabs. North is a given. Hawthorn won 6 games by less than 6 points, lost their best two players + Hill and don’t have much young talent. Even with Roughead back I see them falling. Bulldogs may have a hangover. And someone will have a bad injury run.

Short of injuries, I disagree with some here on Geelong. Adding S Selwood and Menegola added some depth to their midfield in the last part of the year. I expect Motlop and Menzel to be better in 2017. Touhy replaces Enright. Bartel was meh last year. And they play a heap of games at Skilled. I know they had an easier draw last year due to finishing outside the eight in 2015, but I think they’ll win enough to be finalists. Of course, one major injury to key players and they’re stuffed, but that applies to many teams.

North and west coast, West coast have no ruck

Take a different perspective for a moment. Which of the top teams do believe we will defeat in 2017? This will help shape your answer. I for one are hopeful we will defeat a number of them including Hawthorn and Geelong.

Looking at probably the easiest fixture we have had in my memory. I think we will win the following:

Rd 1 - Hawks
Rd 2 - Lions
Rd 3- Blues
Rd 5 - Pies
Rd 6 - Dees (etihad)
Rd 9 - WCE (etihad)
Rd 10 - LOLmond
Rd 12 - Farkport (etihad)
Rd 15 - Lions
Rd 16 - Pies
Rd 17 - Saints
Rd 18 - Roos
Rd - 20 - Fark
Rd 21 - Crows (etihad)
Rd 23 - Freo (etihad)

15 wins ~5th

Injuries will blow us out of the water though as they always do.

The great unknown. Experts don’t expect a lot from Essendon given their unique circumstance. A lot are claiming 2018 is the year they will make their run. 2017 is about reintegration … apparently

I go back to 1999 / 2000. Lost opportunity drove a near perfect season. Not suggesting similar outcome … but, motivation / something to prove / making up for lost time / last chance / anger and a genuine desire to be successful will drive standards THIS year.

Success will be achieved as a collective. Injuries will not have a huge bearing on results … one goes down, another comes in. Everyone will have clearly defined roles. The added bonus for Essendon / supporters is the quality of players coming through. They’ll provide the highlights for an exciting year.

I’m going top 4 this year. Why not! Go Bombers!

West Coast and North will drop out for St Kilda and Essendon.

Good thread.

I think there will be multiple changes this year. North is obvious and I think they will be bottom 3.

Hawks will drop out. Consolidation year while Mitchell and Jaeger integrate themselves into the team. I’m also not convinced Geelong will make it. Last year they did well on the back of Danger having his best ever season - but if he copped an injury they would struggle. I also just don’t see where any improvement is going to come from.

The Eagles I think also won’t be as strong without NN and Lycett for most of the year, but It’s hard to see them missing with 12 games in Perth and with Mitchell/Priddis feeding JK. But they could also miss with a few injuries.

So, my prediction:

My draft 8:

Sydney
Bulldogs
GWS
Adelaide
Essendon
West Coast
Melbourne
Collingwood

Just out of interest, why do you see Collingwood making the 8?

I

I’ve got my doubts about Collingwood, but the one that gets me is so many people having Melbourne in the eight.
Sure, I guess it has to happen some time, but when it does it’ll be the first time since 2006.
Lost by 111 in their last game of 2016.

I've got my doubts about Collingwood, but the one that gets me is so many people having Melbourne in the eight. Sure, I guess it has to happen some time, but when it does it'll be the first time since 2006. Lost by 111 in their last game of 2016.

they’ll be like us in 2011 vs carlton.

Melbourne have a lot of mental “demons” to overcome before they generate a winning culture good enough to consistently make finals.

I’d go:
Group 1 (Flag Favourites): GWS, Swans
Group 2 (Top 4 contenders): West Coast, Adelaide, Bulldogs
Group 3 (Prime Movers): Essendon, Fremantle, St Kilda, Geelong
Group 4 (In the Hunt) Port Adelaide, Melbourne, Hawks, Gold coast, Richmond
Group 5 (Not this year): Carlton, Brisbane, North, Collingwood

I think GWS will win it. I think GWS, Sydney, Adelaide and Dogs will make up the top 4. I think it will be an absolute dog fight for 5-8 between 10 teams.

In the end I think we will be good enough:
GWS
Sydney
Adelaide
Dogs
West Coast
Essendon
St Kilda
Geelong

Gold Coast may surprise a few people this year.

Good thread.

So, my prediction:

My draft 8:

Sydney
Bulldogs
GWS
Adelaide
Essendon
West Coast
Melbourne
Collingwood

I

I think they are far from a perfect side but they have got some signiricant improvement in them.

Their midfield in particular has the ability to be exceptional. Pendlebury and Sidebottom are obviously great players, Treloar will be a top 5 mid in the comp by the end of the year, Crisp/Adams/Greenwood/Aish/DeGoey are all young and will only improve.

Grundy is easily the most promising young ruck in the comp.

Their forward line a shaping up ok. Darcy Moore is going to be a player and Fasolo/Elliott will pick up the crumbs.

And although their trading was odd, I think that Wells makes them a better side at least this year (although not moving forward), and bucks achieves his aim of getting another contract.

As I recall last year they had a horrific run with injuries but finished off the year pretty well. I think if they get a good run this year that will definately help and I think they’ll do enough to sneak in.

Good thread.

So, my prediction:

My draft 8:

Sydney
Bulldogs
GWS
Adelaide
Essendon
West Coast
Melbourne
Collingwood

I

I think they are far from a perfect side but they have got some signiricant improvement in them.

Their midfield in particular has the ability to be exceptional. Pendlebury and Sidebottom are obviously great players, Treloar will be a top 5 mid in the comp by the end of the year, Crisp/Adams/Greenwood/Aish/DeGoey are all young and will only improve.

And although their trading was odd, I think that Wells makes them a better side at least this year (although not moving forward), and bucks achieves his aim of getting another contract.

As I recall last year they had a horrific run with injuries but finished off the year pretty well. I think if they get a good run this year that will definately help and I think they’ll do enough to sneak in.

Very ■■■■■■ defence…

I'd go: Group 1 (Flag Favourites): GWS, Swans Group 2 (Top 4 contenders): West Coast, Adelaide, Bulldogs Group 3 (Prime Movers): Essendon, Fremantle, St Kilda, Geelong Group 4 (In the Hunt) Port Adelaide, Melbourne, Hawks, Gold coast, Richmond Group 5 (Not this year): Carlton, Brisbane, North, Collingwood

I think GWS will win it. I think GWS, Sydney, Adelaide and Dogs will make up the top 4. I think it will be an absolute dog fight for 5-8 between 10 teams.

GWS
Sydney
Adelaide
Dogs
West Coast
Essendon
St Kilda
Geelong

Not bad, but I think I’d be moving Richmond into group 5

I'd go: Group 1 (Flag Favourites): GWS, Swans Group 2 (Top 4 contenders): West Coast, Adelaide, Bulldogs Group 3 (Prime Movers): Essendon, Fremantle, St Kilda, Geelong Group 4 (In the Hunt) Port Adelaide, Melbourne, Hawks, Gold coast, Richmond Group 5 (Not this year): Carlton, Brisbane, North, Collingwood

GWS
Sydney
Adelaide
Dogs
West Coast
Essendon
St Kilda
Geelong

Yep think that’s pretty spot on IMO. Except I think Collingwood should be up in the next group. I don’t think they’re a worse team than Gold Coast and Melbourne.

Good thread.

So, my prediction:

My draft 8:

Sydney
Bulldogs
GWS
Adelaide
Essendon
West Coast
Melbourne
Collingwood

I

Very ■■■■■■ defence…

Oh yeah absolutely. I don’t think they’re perfect by any means. No chance to win a final but they could still sneak in. Or I could have nfi what I’m talking about (likely)

I’m suprised on people thinking the dogs might slide out. Last year they had a bunch of injuries and smashed some of the other finalists. They are getting murphy and crameri back too plus have Cloke and redpath as cover.
Geelong were almost flag favorites before the prelim, touhy is a good addition.
West coast are always good and have added Mitchell who will still be a gun giving them 4 A grade mids.