Trade Discussion 2018 thread #1 - We’re gonna need a bigger boat for the wave pool!

Yep Gibbs for 2 x 1st round picks was always overs but at least they could objectively look at their list & say he was a possibility to take them 1 step further to a flag. Its a little bit like when StKilda gave us pick 16 for Lovett, it was overs BUT he was exactly what they needed after finishing top of the ladder but losing the GF. Are we really that close that 1 player is worth selling the farm for?

2 Likes

Can someone please put Shiel in an Essendon jumper and share?

we are on a upward trend…we are a top 8 easy next year and should of been this year except for the dismal start.

saad smith stringer guelfi have been all good for us

weve had redman francis ridley mutch clarke all play.

neeed to part ways with long merrett green and any of the others who may want to go…

Age and list are the main factors, Sheil is 25 and should give us at least 5 years of strong output. Our list should be primed over that period to challenge. I believe 2 first rounders is reasonable right now for this group. If we can get him any cheaper that would be a significant bonus.

Even if it was two first rounder’s if it’s effectively pick 9 and pick 18 for a contracted gun you probably wouldn’t call it overs.

Assuming we win flag of course!

That said as others noted above if we got our 2nd rounder back off GWS this year/ or their 2019 2nd you’d be pretty happy with that result.

Still much better than GWS would get losing him as a F/A also.

You wouldn’t be getting rid of Long, Green or Merrett to free up cap. They’d all be at or near minimum contracts already, replacing them with draftees would save you under $100k.

Edit: to be clear, I have no inside knowledge. I’m just assuming guys who have been publicly put in the “we’ll see how the trade period goes and then maybe give them a one year contract” don’t get lucrative deals.

We wouldn’t have to cut into our list for that. Our contracts have been handled extremely well with just this sort of scenario in mind.

We should cut into our list to remove a bit of dead wood and refresh things a bit though. And we could always try to sweeten a deal by adding a player to the mix as well as a pick.

3 Likes

Welcome to the Laverde and a third rounder - Trade & Draft board

4 Likes

I get all the reasons for optimism but again what we should or might do is not the same as actually being able to do it. So many of the players we assume are going to be better or at least as good have little or no finals experience so its just not the same as a team like Adelaide who could say they were 1 performance off a flag. Even then look at whats happened to the Crows this year.

I’d prefer to look at trades like Mitchel & Prestia who only cost 1 x 1st rounder or ever look at Dangerfield - best player in the comp, brownlow medallist was traded for pick 9,28 & steak knives. Beams is another top mid, traded at prime age (younger than Shiels is now) & cost a 1st + 2nd + steak knives (who turned out a decent player). Again let me be clear I want Shiels, I think he would make us a better team straight away but I’m just not sure we are in the right position to go all or nothing (assuming we don’t have other free agents or bargain targets).

I’m not even sure if 2 x 1st rounders is possible for us. The rules seem blurred (Geelong haven’t had a 1st round pick for 3 years) but I believe we are not allowed to trade out our 2019 1st pick unless we somehow get another 1st round pick this or next year. What could we possibly trade to get that 1st round pick without weakening the side so that Shiels isn’t the nett gain we need.

I would think they’d be on close to 600k collectively.

3 draftees is 300k ish or less.

So that’s circa 300k extra space. That can make all the difference.

I think he signed an extra year, but I’d be trying to convince Bonar to come home to Victoria. I reckon he’s going to become exactly what we need.

He wants to stay in Sydney so he can be closer to his family in Melbourne.

Agree to disagree I guess.

Or, we give our 2018 and 2019 first picks. We get Shiel and their 2019 first pick in return.

Dodoro will need to find a way to get another earlier 2018 pick. Possibly through the trading of a player and pick combo. For example, we trade out the 2018 GWS second that we have plus Hartley for a GC early second rounder and perhaps their third rounder given they may not want it (or their 4th rounder).

Im certain he would also want to trade out another player (perhaps an Ambrose??? for example) to try and bring in another second rounder in a packaged deal. He would then try and package the two second rounders to pick swap with an academy/fs club to get us back into the top 15 picks in the 2018 draft. We go to 2018 with pick 12-17ish, a third rounder and a fourth. Plus we have Sheil in the sash for 2019.

And we have Gaff as a free agent because Dodoro bought a new jacket for the occassion.

You missed a few, theres: shiels, sheil, shield.

3 Likes

WSPTU

3 Likes

Or if he wants to return this year to Melbourne.

UNSUBSCRIBE

8 Likes

Don Tyson? Blergh.

If we’re gonna do made up definitive statements, can’t they at least be about someone good?

1 Like

Swings and roundabouts

1 Like