Trade Discussion 2018 thread #1 - We’re gonna need a bigger boat for the wave pool!

No spongey floors. No big games. No members

2 Likes

They’ve shown they can bounce back pretty quickly, they’ll also offer more money than us, potentially a lot more money

Same number of shin bones.

1 Like

Also managed by Connors.

I think club/Dodoro playing happy families now with him after the Stringer trade & McGrath re-sign.

If Connors is true to what he says about wanting his players to gain premierships then Blues won’t be in frame regardless of $$ or their high first rounder.

Cripps right now is even unsure of extending contract. Murphy might leave. They are miles off.

1st pick and a player, or our 1st and 2nd pick for Shiel.

Players Id consider: Hartley,Colyer,Brown.

Probably doesnt get the job done.

I know the word is Sloane is not in the clubs sights due to age (and we’ve had this chat before), but he’s just turned 28, which means you could go with a 4 year deal “front ended” as such. With his lingering injury, his market value has to have been smashed this year and the Crows expected to have had him locked away by now. 44 Brownlow votes over the past two seasons is still nothing to be sneezed at. OR are the Dons still adamant of only getting players under 26?

Otto. start mixing

Value is dropping, so you go all in and offer more.

Hope you don’t invest in the stock market.

Four years for Sloane would be insanity.

1 Like

Throw the kitchen sink at Shiel.

12 Likes

GCS vulture trade #1: THE DUMP
GCS are a rabble. They might fall for being force-fed some old but genuine competitors of ours. That could include:

• McKernan (rookie list, uncontracted, could fit a full-forward role if Lynch leaves)
  • Baguley (31yo, uncontracted, but could help short term with competitive culture)
  • Jerrett (uncontracted, rarely injured, covers ground well, still a few more years left on the clock)

I’m not expecting to receive much in return, perhaps just a pick upgrade in return for the bundle, but GCS might just do it, to be even vaguely competitive.

GCS vulture trade #2: THE 2MP DREAM
TBC is in the form of his life. He is an unrestricted free agent, so he can go where he wants, but maybe we decide we don’t want to fight too hard. Because what if he could get a big contract for himself, and good compensation for us? Is an end of first round pick possible? That is the upper reach of this dream IMO…I know he is clearly our best ruckman, but he has some injury history…and we might just have to take this backward step for a longer-term step forwards.

The dream would then be to use that pick received, with a bit of extra sugar on top, and make an offer to GCS for the former number 8th-pick Peter Wright. He has been in and out of their senior team. Unfortunately he is still contracted until end 2019, and GCS may hold tighter if Lynch leaves…But if we could pull it off, we would rejuvenate our ruck stocks at almost nil cost, and go into 2019 with a ruck contingent of:

• Leuenberger
  • Wright
  • Draper

I would consider that to be a huge coup.

Wow.

Option 1 is just fantasy land.

Option 2 is just suicidal for us on field.

Reading that cost me a minute of my life that you now owe me for.

20 Likes

Just a smorgasbord of temptation right there :grin:

7 Likes

No one is touching any of our young midfield brigade. We need them all to come through together for the next premiership. 1-1=0. 1+1=2

1 Like

I just looked at the upcoming draft order. GCS already have a large number of picks:

• 2 first rounders
  • 2 second rounders
  • 2 third rounders

Plus, they’ll get more picks if Lynch leaves.

They’ll want to trade up, or switch into future years…but at the end of trade period, if they still have any third round picks, they might be willing to throw them away for some AFL-experienced players.

There’s nothing really left to trade for and trading for tradings sake is not smart. Wines is gone, DeGoey won’t be traded, Murphy and Cripps will likely stay, Gaff is the only one left worth asking the question and that will only cost us cap space. Go to the draft and get the best available.

Unless the Shiel talk is more than just talk, or another young player of that ilk, that’s the only way I’d give up our first and second round in this bumper draft year.

2 Likes

Pretty sure Murphy is gone.

Know some North Melb player sponsors who reckon the Roos have already made a 3 year offer to him.

1 Like

Some GC players being chased by Blues

Scrimshaw & Brodie (whose uncle in carltons recruitment team).

-1±1/0=?

1 Like

Boy it must suck to be one of the three GWS supporters out there

The majority of our valuable players are very committed to the club. Any player with value on our list wouldn’t want to leave imo. Especially not to GWS.