Trade Discussion 2018 thread #1 - We’re gonna need a bigger boat for the wave pool!

gaff replaces colyer in the vfl? because that’s where trav will be.

4 Likes

I didn’t say Gaff was Zaharakis. I said Gaff was a much better version of Zaharakis, who runs hard but can also find a target. I’m not sure running to break out when we’re bogged down is much of an issue, we’re regularly breaking the field down with runs from half-back. I don’t think another link-up player is a key, another tough inside player that can burst through a pack is. But yes, I’ll take either.

1 Like

You mean quick running outside player with good disposal…like Polec

IIRC it has felt like our midfield get the clearance enough but Myers, Heppell and Parish just boot it as far as they can (or they just aren’t the best). I agree Shiel would improve this as rather than kicking around the corner he tends to break away and then aim at a target even though his kicking is not perfect. While Gaff would improve it but is more an outside in player he is a great kick. He also averaged just under 4 clearances but from the games I saw they were usually as the ball spilled into the open in his direction rather than him getting it out.

Anyway as mentioned many times my deciding factor is the cost. Shiel will cost minimum our first while Gaff is free.

1 Like

Talking Footy talked about Roughead. Apparently when he was injured 2 weeks ago, he flew up to the Gold Coast to catch up with Lynch.

Hoping they’re priorities stay that way, and they focus on him and not Shiel!

2 Likes

Media does seem to think it’s a given Lynch goes to Tigers but things can change very suddenly & unexpectedly.

As per Buddy to GWS >>>> Swans

Hawks would still be up to eyeballs in Lynch.

1 Like

Jake has played on the wing and high half fwd a lot a lot Sydney. He can play there and play well. He was moved to the hbf to eventually replace mcvay He is a very consistent footballer due to his work ethic.

Buddy to swans didn’t happen late in the piece, it only seemed that way to the media. Buddy had met swans soon after the 2012 grand final. He was always going there. Pickering did a great job throwing the media off the scent.

6 Likes

Interesting discussions on here gaff vs sheil. Do we need inside or outside mids. I think both but an inside mid with pace and strength is probably what we require most.

1 Like

Exactly.
Sure,the last season or so our inside game has absolutely improved. Myers and at times Stringer helped improve that,but Hepp adjusted his game,through neccesity,and won more inside ball too.

He was farked at the end,not sure he could of got the body deep into September if we got there.

No,what we need is a genuine inside mid to take the hits and dish it out to the runners.An upgrade on Myers,as has been stated over n over.

Dont think thats Shiel or Gaff,but lets get one of them if we can as class is class.

Nothing changed re buddy to GWS>>>>Swans. He was always going to the Swans they just kept a real ■■■■■■■ tight lid on it.

1 Like

Did they talk about how Rough will be the bloke that gets shifted to make room for Lynch?

3 Likes

It only seems like none of “the kids” played: because none of them played like kids.
Realistically there wasn’t many weeks where we didn’t have 3 or 4 or 5 sub-50 gamers play roles through there (between Guelf, McGrath, Parish, Langford, Mutch, Raz and Tippa).

last year we used predominantly old guys in all those roles - Howlett, Bird, Hocking, Colyer & even Goddard started 2017 in the mid rotations. Only real midfield contributions from kids were parish (whole year) and about 3 games from Langford.

Credit then needs to go to the coaches (Skipworth Kelly and Woosh, as well as the development guys) for being able to constantly rejig the midfield, and produce a better performing midfield than we’ve had for many, many years.

3 Likes

Myers being the biggest worry is a good thing - he’s the most replaceable player in there.

2 Likes

Jack Lonie is up for trade at St Kilda. Wouldn’t be a bad pickup as a small forward at the right price. Could push Fantasia up into the midfield more.

We need our 3rd rounder back !

It’d be good if you can expand on this.
You barely ever mention Myers when elaborating on our weaknesses :sunglasses:

IMG_2758

1 Like

Did you just make a pun???

14 Likes

https://www.draftguru.com.au/lists/2019/essendon

Draftguru shows that for 2019, based on current list changes(i…e Goddard going) we are ranked

17th for Experience, average 62.5 games.

In 2018 we were ranked 11th, with 57.6 games

Depending who we bring we are going to be one of the more inexperienced sides.

And for average age we have gone from 7th (2018) to 11th (2019).

4 Likes

But that was always the plan. After cutting those older guys there were no older players to go through, except maybe Colyer. The fact so many played isn’t evidence of injuries. Of the guys you mentioned, only Guelfi wouldn’t have been in the best 22 plans and was depth (Mutch was too, but he only played 2 games).

I think whether it is a mature state option such as Schloithe, Pickett or Grigg, or a player like Wallis, we do need midfield depth. Obviously the preference would be to get one or more top players/youngsters but if that isn’t an option we need some cover for injuries.