Trade Discussion 2018 thread #1 - We’re gonna need a bigger boat for the wave pool!

that just makes no sense on stkildas part.

saints need talent in every department, but im not sure half back flankers is the place to start rebuilding

1 Like

Except he doesn’t play HBF

Suits saints perfectly for outside run and classy foot skills in midfield. Exactly the same reason North are after him as both sides lack it.

3 Likes

always thought he was a rebounder. having said that i havent paid too much attention to port this season

A lesson on why you play your cards close to your chest.

Essendon are doing this brilliantly, very discreet so far.

5 Likes

It’s been reported tonight and mentioned by Adam Simpson, Gaff is back at WCE training. His father is now over the line health wise and will recommence contract talks this week. Tends me to think he will be staying in Perth.

1 Like

Nope

But one who does on the trade table also

Pittard & Hombsch

I want pittard because he is the seediest afl player in recent history

One of the worst footballers in the modern era.

6 Likes

My personal preference is for Gaff over Shiel. Both are guns, but watching Essendon games this year, I tend to think a beautiful field kicking outside runner who could deliver to the likes of JD, Fant and Stringer would be much more desirable. Don’t get me wrong. Shiel would be a great pickup. Just I feel we have that sort of player covered. With Gaff, we could potentially be one of the quickest teams in the league with Saad, McKenna, etc.

2 Likes

It’s fine to prefer Gaff, but you realise Shiel is quicker right?

3 Likes

Shiel is a mile ahead of Gaff in terms of needs. Gaff is a great version of Zaharakis, I’m not sure in a team full of quick outside runners with Saad/McKenna etc the ability to improve our run and gun game is a dire need. We can play exciting fast football. Shiel fits the empty puzzle piece next to Heppell whilst most are trying to fill it by still hoping for Myers to piece together 2 good games in a row and relying on kids like Langford/Parish. We wonder why our midfield falls apart, is because we rely on an outside game which is touch and go, Shiel stablises the inside game and ball winning ability for whom Heppell needs help. And he’s fast. To put in perspective we’ve kept a 30 year old inconsistent 100 gamer in our best 22 because he’s a strong inside body (Myers). I hope we put all our efforts into Shiel, and then if that fails then maybe Gaff/Setterfield. Agin I feel people are being seduced by the sexy outside game that has dominated Essington since the Knights era for a hard inside Luke Parker esque Sydney inside style that has netted results for over a decade.

15 Likes

I can see your point here. Just that I think Gaff is a better user of the ball, especially at speed which takes some high skill. He rarely misses a target. However for an inside mid, Shiel would be great I admit. Do we want an inside mid or outside?

1 Like

There’s no doubting Gaff would be a quality edition, I just think Shiel would get us closer to a premiership. When I look at our issues over the past decade, I don’t think that I wished we had more outside players to run the ball. I wished we had a stronger more consistent inside contingent that can win clearances. Big reason why we send Stringer there to help with clearances, Heppell does a good job but our losses all show the same issues. We don’t lose because of outside run, we lose because our midfield gets overpowered. With Heppell I feel like it’s us leaving Pendlebury in the middle and saying that he’s got the inside part covered. People thinking we’ll win a premiership next year with a young and developing Langford/Parish and god forbid Myers are kidding themlseves…

I don’t think Gaff is a Zaharakis. He’s a Stanton with better disposal. And we desperately need one of those. Because they’re the players that when we’re bogged down and can’t break out run to provide an option. That Gaff can then kick it and hit a target is also great.

We look worse when it gets locked in and we just can’t get the ball out of our backline. When they’re sitting on Saad and Mckenna. Gaff would provide an out.

Plus, just generally being a top link up player and possibly free!

9 Likes

Interesting. Still think that’s incorrect as I know for a fact kangas deal wasnt 700k. Was closer to 600k than 650k a year. Media over hyped and guessed it.

Port, St Kilda and North throwing cash at you.
You couldn’t help but feel a little dirty, could you?

2 Likes

Gaff would likely be free, therefore a better option than Shiel.

If Gaff wasn’t free, then Shiel is the better option.

3 Likes

gaff replaces trav. which makes him an infinite want for me.

3 Likes

It would be like replacing a cheese sandwich with a juicy Porterhouse steak

1 Like

coles cheap bread with kraft fake cheese.