Trade Discussion 2018 thread #1 - We’re gonna need a bigger boat for the wave pool!

In Zerrett’s interview yesterday, he just casually mentioned how we missed out on getting Josh Kelly last year, but ended up with the three S’s.

So…if we made some salary cap space for Kelly…do you think we used it all up for the total cost of SSS?

Now that I think about it…the appropriate salary comparison is Kelly plus two new draftees, versus SSS…hmmm…remaining fire-power…:thinking:

1 Like

Especially when we seem content to fill up on white bread before we get to the sirloin

2 Likes

I wonder if Kelly seriously considered us. Perhaps we’re still in th hunt?

He’s trash. Just as slow as Sam but a worse kick. Not sure where his improvement comes from, he’s been a unit since he was 18, he’s gotten arguably less effective every year.

Kolo… the sneeze… can play, but not sure he’s any sort of need with Redman, Francis & Ridley in the wings.
I agree GC are (right now) a better target for a’plunderin than GWS.

1 Like

Because otherwise you could say “here, 28yo recruit X, have a 10 year contract”, then when they retire at 34, you’d pay out a few years of it & have it waived off the cap.

Ie it could be used as an inducement outside the cap.

Cough, Diggers, cough.

1 Like

We also had a bunch of guys retire - Watson, Stanton, Kelly would’ve been on good coin still. Not sure what happened re- salary cap with payments to the rest of “the 34” but quite possible guys like Howlett & co had their wages frozen at 2016 levels.

Setterfield at right price seems like the go.

2 Likes

I would have thought if you retire and don’t play, unless your contract was backloaded or there is some injury clause triggered you don’t get paid.

Otherwise what is to stop a player signing a 10 year contract on big coin and retiring the next day?

They don’t necessarily actually get paid.

Just for the purposes of the salary cap, they are counted as getting paid.

I can see then going for Lynch and Sloan.

Lynch is a great replacement for Roughead. Sloan would make them a pretty dominant stoppage team which Clarkson could role put a new game plan under.

1 Like

I see Roughead as one player they won’t offload as they did Mitchell and Lewis. Too many fans are too invested emotionally.

A couple of things : let’s not talk about trading for spent players because they were really good 5 years ago.

And guys who aren’t getting a game after being at a club 4 or 5 years usually are not getting a game for a reason. Obviously this doesn’t include rucks.

4 Likes

I think they’d happily offload Roughy if it acquired Lynch. All part of refreshing entire side to push for next flag.

If he went to the GC as part of trade it would also help them given they losing key pillar of their fwd line. And Roughy would get a contract there unlikely to get anywhere else $$ and term wise.

I’d love Cerra but think he will up at the Cats

1 Like

Does he like to surf as well.

1 Like

I really don’t think Roughead has much left in the tank.

1 Like

Why’s that? He grew up in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne. Went to primary school in my neck of the woods.

He just likes good blokes and wants leadership.

3 Likes

But if people listen to this, we’ll miss out on Nino’s suggestions about the 15 or so players in the league he hasn’t already suggested we trade for.

1 Like

With Kelly almost certain to go back to Perth I’d think Cerra could be used in a swap/trade. Cerra is a former top 10 pick and Kelly is worth a late first for me so both clubs might see this as the best option

Kelly, as in the guy Geelong just drafted in 2017?