Trade Discussion 2018 thread #1 - We’re gonna need a bigger boat for the wave pool!

If they have a deficiency in that area they might have a use for someone like Hartley. Don’t forget with their cap issues they will need to bring in mature players who are cheap. They have hacks like DeBoer, Keeffe and Reid getting regular games. You can’t tell me Hartley isn’t better than that Keeffe potatoe

8 Likes

When they don’t have a large injury list there is no way Keefe is getting games.
Possibly he would be a useful backup.
I tell you what, DeBoer has improved a hell of a lot and is very valuable to their team now.

2 Likes

That’s not how negotiation works. May have been drafted as a top 5 prospect, but he has only played two games in two seasons (compared with Pidge’s 40+). Injuries/durability count & would reduce his value (regardless of perceived potential at the top level) from a negotiation perspective. Jackets is a seasoned recruiter & clever enough to push this angle. KPP of Heart’s size & 2nd rounder isn’t far off the mark - as a starting position - from a negotiation perspective. The lad is obviously talented & I’m on the bandwagon, but he isn’t worth a straight first round pick for mine. At the very least, an exchange of first round picks would need to be involved (plus Hearts).

1 Like

I love trade time!!

I’m guessing private school toff. Some of them had today as their last day for the semester…

3 Likes

Its the AFL’s fault for trying to expand where it was not needed nor was it necessary. Now at the detriment of the other clubs the AFL will give them favours to keep them competitive. It will be a long, long time (if ever) that GC will be able to hold its own. For all I care they can merge or fold. Six of the AFL favouring clubs to help them be competitive without understanding the long term damage it causes to other middle of the road clubs.

Cool story.

Needs more golf.

4 Likes

But that’s not how reality works. Setterfield is highly rated at GWS, is contracted until the end of 2020 and from all reports is quite happy in Sydney (i.e. isn’t going to dermand a trade at all costs). So to get him not only would we have to sell him on Essendon (more money, how he fits in to the team, where we are headed) but we would also need to come up with a deal that satisfies GWS. It really doesn’t matter what you think Dodoro’s starting position is, because when clubs invest draft currency of that magnitude into players unless they are absolutely forced to by the player demanding a trade they don’t let them go cheaply even if they have injuries early on. Hell, we held on to a duck-taped together Gumbleton for what, 7 years I think. Two years is nothing.

Hartley is probably worth a 3rd rounder in trade, regardless of his “KPP size” so there is no way GWS are going to accept a 2nd/swap of 1st rounders and 3rd rounder for a guy who was spoken of as being potential pick number 1 type talent (although not as much as others as he was a GWS academy pick). Not to mention other clubs are interested in him too so given he is contracted the have extra leverage there.

3 Likes

I think people underestimate Hartley’s trade value a little.

He isn’t top shelf, I’m not being naive. But he has some good upside, is in a good age, has been developed over a few years and could be a steal for another club looking for a key defender.

It would not surprise me if a deal involving a future first, future 3rd and Hartley was enough to net Setterfield and a 2nd rounder.

3 Likes

Isn’t Hartley a free agent?

If FIFA counts I’m the most qualified to make up trade rumours. So in 2022, current league 2 team Exeter City will have earned promotion to the premier League and have signed Sanè and Jesus on a free and Richarlison hates us because he wasn’t getting enough game time. Also I would know cause I was the manager and slept with all the players sisters and bullied them all.

Am I doing this right.

4 Likes

Blitz is a different place now days

Ever seen someone with a bigger chip on their shoulder with regards to trades than yungbaz?

I went to school with every AFL player and they all say they don’t know you.

8 Likes

If either this years or next years first round picks are given in any deal involving Setterfield (unless he’s the steak knives), I will burn this place down. He is unproven and his body keeps breaking down.

3 Likes

My ideal scenario… Setterfield & Rozee

4 Likes

Huh? A skilled negotiator doesn’t give in straight away. Both parties would outline their starting positions, based on how they valued a player, by using objective criteria.

He was pick 5 two years ago. Is he still worth that? GWS may argue ‘yes’ & we would point out his 2 games in that time & injury struggles & suggest that his value has diminished somewhat. We certainly wouldn’t disclose our bottom line from the get-go, nor would GWS accept our first offer without putting forth their case.

They would negotiate until they reached a mutually acceptable agreement (or not). Whether the deal is fair or whether we pay unders/overs is yet to be determined. We can only assess that after a deal is done. The outcome doesn’t change the negotiation process, though.

Weird, I didn’t know they all attended fuccboi academy

3 Likes

If we’re talking abkut what would be the most advantageous (but arguably fair and balanced) trade scenario for EFC, then it would be hard to go past the following.

1. Gaff as a FA without a trade triggered by a WCE matched offer.
  2. Setterfield for 2019 first rounder and Hartley (because it may actually get Harts more opportunity as well as help our trade position) We may also need to do some swapping around of later picks.
  3. Take pick 8 to the draft and snag one of best kids in the country.
  4. Pack up and go home.
  5. Worry about how to get back into the 2019 first round for the next 12 months.

If the above eventuated, Dodoro and team would have achieved another A Grade offseason imo.

It would be great to improve our 2018 mid-draft picks, but if not then the team still take a bow.

4 Likes

I agree with all of that except you didnt mention how competition/demand can inflate price. The fact that Setterfield is being chased by Carlton and presumably others (whilst contracted for not one but two more years) means that GWS hold the Aces in this negotiation.