Trade Discussion 2018 thread #1 - We’re gonna need a bigger boat for the wave pool!

interesting

9 Likes

Similar to how we lost guys when McCartney and Goodwin moved on as coaches, I wonder if any Richmond blokes were particularly close to Rutten and would be prepared to follow him. Kane Lambert is out of contract next year …

Is there anyone we would want that would be a realistic chance of leaving?

I’m confortable with moving leuy, Dea and Hartley on if other clubs are interested.

Means we would need to draft another ruck and Draper would be backup. Would like him to get some games next year.

Shiel, Setterfield, Martin would be a good trade period.

Except maybe it’s another S not Martin.

Shiel, Setterfield and Scully

Could we afford the 3S in he salary cap?

God no…Lambert suffers from a condition known as ‘lack of talentitis’, and whilst it can be treated with hard work (Lambert known to work harder than anyone) this illness is exposed in big games when he needs to stand up.

No, it at this stage

Shiel, Setterfield and Martin would be a mind blown offseason

8 Likes

Their list is chock full of ‘meh’ - sprinkled with a few untouchables

Money talks and Bullsh1t walks.

My suspicion re Lambert is that the injury he suffered 6 weeks ago hadn’t recovered enough to allow him to work as hard as he needs to.

Ditto injuries to Martin and Astbury’s illness.

They’ve had so few injuries that they’re not used to playing under sufferance.

4 Likes

Reminds me of Woewoddin… Short on talent, relies on massive work ethic and running ability. It’s a combination which doesn’t last forever at the top level. Will be delisted in the next 3 years. Typifies Richmond. High speed, high endurance combination but lacklustre talent. Worst premiership side in the last twenty years

Not enough places in the best 22, would be surprised if we made more than 2 moves. As they also wouldn’t want to hinder development of younger players

2 Likes

Injuries will always provide opportunities to fringe players

that lack of talent that got him into the All Australian squad? a guy who has improved every year he has been in the league and fits smack bang in the age profile we seem to be targeting?

In any event, I am not hitching my wagon to Lambert who is just an example, but as much fun as it is to look down on Richmond, they are infinitely more successful than we have been lately, so any number of their players could come in and add value to us.

I wonder more generally whether we could add talent simply by having a good working relationship with Ben Rutten. We’ve seen it happen out of the club with Crameri and Hibberd leaving, and we have seen the benefits of a coach bringing in talent eg Fantasia/Bassett. Is there an opportunity there to poach from the tigers?

1 Like

Haha I didn’t. I was asked if I’d trade him. I replied only if he wanted out. Same with any player.

You don’t keep blokes who don’t want to play with you.

Unless I guess if your gold Coast.

Im of the small portion of people who believe outside of the Richmond system, many of their players are pretty average and low on talent.

Their work ethic and frenetic defensive game covers their flaws big time.

8 Likes

All-Australian squad membership isn’t validation of longevity of delivery or talent , indeed I’d suggest that in some instances it reflects the team systems which drive inflated stats and perception that a player is good more so than reality. Richmond have been playing above themselves for a while now. Fundamentally a solid system and a well drilled unit, but on talent alone I’ve never rated them.

1 Like

Just to bring back to reality, how do you feel about Cameron Ellis Yolmen and Jackson Hately?

2 Likes

Which Cameron are we talking about? Jeremy or Charlie?

because YES to either

1 Like

Neither, just the Ellis Yolmen ‘Cameron’!