Trade Discussion 2018 thread #1 - We’re gonna need a bigger boat for the wave pool!

I agree with this. I’d be happy for Hartley to be delisted, but even if he is, if we switch Stewart to defence have we got too many talls fighting over KPD spots? The other benefit with Stewart in defence is that his kicking could be a weapon.

The balance of the list for next season might depend a lot on whether we pick up little Fletch and whether he is seen as just an option in defence or he could be an option either end. If we don’t get him, I reckon we should go for a young KPF to develop and switch Stewart to defence.

Edit: It would be interesting to see if they switched Hartley and Stewart in the VFL over the remainder of the season, how they’d go.

2 Likes

Back to Adelaide with Sloane Re-signing, is there a chance Brad Crouch could be on the way out of the nest @Aceman

1 Like

Smack is worth between 45-55 IMO, You’d be silly to offer a higher pick than that.

Worth more to us as depth.

1 Like

We got 41 for Jenkins and he had absolutely no exposed senior form. Lot younger than Smack at the time though.

1 Like

People are massively underselling Smack

He kicked 4 from 9 shots at goal versus Cats, 3 in a quarter versus North and a very important one in last quarter, could have kicked 3 in a quarter vs Pies also. If he ever lights it up over a whole game he could kick a massive bag.

Strong body, good mark, great set shot and goal sense on the snap. And can part time ruck.

IMO he is worth plenty right now. Stocks would have seriously risen given his output for us over the last 8wks.

There are heaps of teams that could do with him and he’d be in their best 22 as he is ours.

8 Likes

We actually got pick 31, but it was swapped for Jenkins and pick 41. So it was an upgrade of 10 spots.

If we got something similar for Smack I’d be happy. Although I’m not convinced we really want to be losing him in this offseason.

3 Likes

Chris Dawes went for more than pick 20

Shaun Hampson went for pick 32

Not exactly unheard for teams to play overs for structural players

What did we give for Smack?

In current form, he’ll be playing along side Daniher and Stringer next year.

Why would we give him away for nothing, as he’s currently a best 22 player?

He’s more of a Leigh Brown for Collingwood type. He’s there to contest, and if the defenders pay too much attention to Daniher and Stringer he will hurt them on the score board.

3 Likes

Mitch Brown 27
James Stewart 24

While Brown has been playing some good footy surley you keep the younger player with more upside?

1 Like

I’m surprised Brown is still that young.

Unless we have our eye on a young KP froward late in the draft (Doddoro special), I’d suggest we keep both.

I don’t think we’re going to get a Key Forward in the first round.

Turns 28 in August

Really depends on Daniher as well.

If he is impacted by op next year can he play the relief ruck role. If not, you need Smack more than a Stewart or Brown.

Agreed.
As a club you need to weigh up the trade value vs the actual value (to the club). They’re not the same thing.

Trade value might see McKernan as a late second/third round pick. But If we’re worried about Daniher’s fitness next season. He might be valued a first round pick within the walls of EFC. So there is literally no point in trading him.

If the opposition club arnt willing to come to the party, with something similar to what we value him…then there will be no deal.

1 Like

Nothing. I thought we picked him up in the rookie draft after Adelaide delisted him

1 Like

Probably a couple of hundred a point

2 Likes

I see what you did there :wink:

1 Like

1 Like

I think we need all three, Hartley on the hand is genuine surplus.

1 Like

why would you trade Smack? although his decision making is erratic at times he has performed better than many others

2 Likes