Trade Discussion 2018 thread #1 - We’re gonna need a bigger boat for the wave pool!

Many here wanted to delist McKernan at the end of last year. I certainly did…I just think he will forever be one bad game away from refreshed calls to be delisted. So if we could get a third rounder for him I would jump at it. If we convert that pick into an 18yo KPF or RUCK option that is the equivalent of Zerk, then we have hit the jackpot…(I should also mention that I don’t think we are going to be a top 4 team in 2019, so don’t think McKernan is structurally important for a premiership push)

On the other hand, I find it amazing that people talk about delisting Hartley. If he is happy to stay as depth, I think he has a valuable place as a depth tallest defender for the next 5 years.

1 Like

McKernan has been a solid forward contributor.

No way I would trade him considering Stewart has fallen off a cliff this year.

Leuy is reputedly retiring. Given what Smack has done this year and only having Draper as backup ruck, there is no way we would trade Smack. However, if he asks to leave we’ll get very little.

1 Like

I wouldn’t trade any of our key position players they either mean to much to the side or they would get too little to be worth the trade. I’ve said it before but the recruitment of Brown, Hartley and Mckernan was very astute drafting and which really has allowed us to focus on different parts of our list. The key to trading in players is to convince them to want to come to your side, we did a wonderful job with SSS last year and I hope we can finish of the season well because we have lost some good will.

1 Like

Yep Hartley, he may be crap, but let’s not forget he is tall.

I reckon GC would entertain something like pick 7ish + Smack + Dea for pick 2.

Draft meant to be very deep so top 10 are all super high quality. So I doubt we would do that.

Smack structurally important to us. Dea however would be tradeable and has a bunch of kids chasing him down plus Gleeson back from injury. Woosh rates him though and he isn’t that old.

I don’t. In this draft, if it gets around that they’re willing to trade pick 2, 16 other clubs will offer them more than that.

3 Likes

Probably right, could be a bidding war but we sit in a decent spot pick-wise at least.

Not to many players wanna head to the GC though, so it’ll be whether rival clubs can convince anyone who’s better than a Smack/Dea type to agree to leave.

You’re assuming of course that we’ll have no problem convincing Smack/Dea to leave and spend a few thankless years in a sucky team with a rotating cast of disillusioned drug-hoovering 18yo ex-first-round picks.

5 Likes

The offer of a 3yr contract would appeal to the likes of Dea and Smack.

Maybe not. Would get longer contracts/$$ there though and would be regular best 22 players.

What about this one

Pick 7ish, Lav and Smack for pick 1 or 2?

Or we just use pick 7 on best mid there given draft meant to be so deep anyway.

Based on last years trading efforts not convinced we will keep it regardless anyway. Trying to bring in a 23-25yr old proven player more likely.

If so it could pick 7 + fridge player(s) out.

I’d be very surprised if Adrian traded out of the first round this year.

Would have to be an absolute a grader - don’t see it happening myself.

9 Likes

Why’s everyone trying to trade Smack? He’s in the best form of his career.

Blitz gone full tilt this year.

1 Like

Unless it’s a midfielder the quality of a Shiel type player I would be genuinely shocked

Well he should, he basically turned 11 last year into Stringer and Smith which is the best result we have had in living memory.

In a post-Jenkins world I wouldn’t be losing any player based on having “too many of that type”.

2 Likes

The more I think about it the more I like the idea of pursuing both Wallis and Dahlhaus as FAs, both add depth, one was a premiership player, both can play as mid/fors, both should come cheap, neither would cost anything, both are 25/26ish (which helps flesh out that demographic of our list), both have shown they can play good football consistently, both would likely be better with a fresh start, Dahlhaus was a Dons fan, we still owe Footscray for pinching our VFL players, and FARK Gordon.