Trade Discussion 2018 thread #2: Shiel or no Shiel? SHIEL

Meant to write ‘player’ managers

You think Connors has Tom Browne there spoon fed purely to give the scoops?

Player managers is different from List managers obviously but the point remains.

LIST managers don’t get their info from the media they have large networks and very good info.

The majority of media hype is all about getting clicks and viewership so they can sell more expensive advertising.

When you are listening to trade radio this year, assuming you do, and you hear that advert for the 1000th time, that’s more $ from hype going into Hutchy’s pocket.

1 Like

Who?

Can you help me out here, @scotty21?

Let’s hope it’s a blind corner with a 200 tonne B Double semi trailer coming the other way with the driver up to his eyeballs in pingas

13 Likes

surely if GWS let go of lobb and shiel they wont need to get rid of setterfield.

also if shiel went to carlton you can bet your bottom dollar part of the deal would be carlton taking on the contracts of 1-2 other gws shithacks. maybe they’ll take dylan buckley back. lol

1 Like

So your concern is that if you take out the ‘young blokes’ demographic on our list- McGrath, Zerk, Begley. Mynott, Ridley, Houlihan, Mutch and Clarke (first and second year players) - then there will be a hole in our list demographics. :thinking:

1 Like

Setterfield can’t be on that much dough that he’d be giving the Giants salary cap issues. He’s a second year player with two career senior games.

I would have guessed if they get rid of one of Lobb or Shiel, they might be able to keep the other.

1 Like

Well - he’s not wrong.

We are definitely creating a hole. But I think it is deliberate.

What we do have is have maybe 12 of our best 22 in that turning 22-25 age bracket next year. And our turning 21 age bracket is also looking reasonably strong.

As such, I don’t think that Dodoro gives a flying rats that there is a hole developing. I think we will see him double down on that hole, and continue to build into the above age bracket. If the strategy fails, I think he will call it a day. It’s all or nothing I reckon, and I personally am fully supportive of it.

1 Like

Alright smarty pants…:wink:

In all seriousness it’s just a low key way of pointing out to people that “why would he go to Carlton?” Without getting Permabanned or ridiculed.

But screw it, here I go.

Carlton are going to be a lot better in the short to medium term. They have a load of young talent. If Shiel chose them under the impression that it may be tough for 2 years and then the kids will grow then that makes sense to me.

I’d kill for Curnow or Cripps.

1 Like

It not all or nothing. Doubling down would be having a butt load of 27-30 year Olds.

Having an age gap now is an easy gap to fill later.

Much better.

METER
PETER

insta ban PP2 for addressing him incorrectly please

3 Likes

so it looks like GC are fine with clubs poaching Lynch, May and Hall, but will give us hell for trying to poach Martin. Stay tuned for a horrendous ess/gc trade period, this time with no religious leverage

4 Likes

Nah, that’d be a hail mary strategy, I’ll stick to my interpretation.

He has a strategy, which is building into that 21-25 age group.

It comes at a risk, which is having next to nobody coming through in the younger age group.

I think he will continue to invest in that 21-25 age group at the expense of the younger group. Hence doubling down on his strategy.

fixed.

1 Like

I think you missed the point.

If we are giving away our first round picks in 2019 & 2020 for Setterfield, Martin and/or Shiel.
That’s 3 years worth first round picks we have given away.

I’m not saying the lack of young players is an issue, as I think it’s time to go ‘all in’. But I’m pointing out that we will eventually have a hole in the age demographic.

The majority of our list will be the same age. We have a huge age demographic between 21-24.

2 Likes

Quality use of English

5 Likes

Until we send ‘Buddha’ farking Hocking in,to help with negotiations!

So, if we are into everyone, and not getting the Shiels’, Mays’ and Lynchs’…what about the brothers from adelaide?