Trade Discussion 2018 thread #2: Shiel or no Shiel? SHIEL

The technicality will be this

It’s unknown if Hawks will trade out players in order to get first rounders next year to meet the requirements.

So ultimately the AFL will probably only place the restrictions on them next year if they don’t and let them trade it this year regardless.

He also said “on our day we’re just as good as them”, referring to Melbourne on the eve of the 2000 Grand Final. Still possibly the dumbest football comment of all time…

2 Likes

I personally want know know what cereberu…oh i mean Brasha thinks

4 Likes

We upped our offer on the weekend.

Carlton then upped their offer today, to counter.

a bidding war?

12 Likes

I can’t imagine them being allowed to do it.

So the Blues look like getting McGovern, Setterfield, Shiel and Walsh - who by all reports will be a superstar.
Embarrassing.

2 Likes

This has been talked about over and over. If you go into a trade period having not taken 2 first round picks in four year you will be prevented from trading your future first round pick. This year hawthorn are not in violation of the rule (2015-2018 they have two picks), therefore they can trade the pick. If they trade the pick then next year they will be in violation and be unable to trade their 2020 pick.

Please see

Specifically

The AFL this week confirmed to AFL.com.au that unless a club has acquired two first-round picks between 2015-2018, it cannot trade away its first-round selection for 2019.

The hawks have that, and thereforce can trade their 2019 pick.

2 Likes

Oh thanks for the clarity mate. I hadn’t seen that. It really covers 5 drafts then.

1 Like

Yep, the Cats went all in and the black, and it landed on red.

Especially considering they don’t look like retaining Kelly.

What does he know about taking anything to a bank?

6 Likes

Yeah. It’s a poorly worded rule. Well, I assume it’s poorly worded. It’s not actually written down anywhere, at least anywhere available to the public.

1 Like

Carlton have some great young talent and are in a great position to build a competing side for years to come. To add these guys or even any of the two to the mix , I’m starting to get worried. They’ll leap frog us soon. Our key pieces are aging.if we are going to make any push we need to do so in the next 2-3 years, so we need to get some ready to go pieces in a reasonable age bracket.

1 Like

Guess he knows a lot about taking dosh out of the bank, didn’t he have a gambling issue or something?

He took JOM news to bank. That’s the only time I can think he nailed a trade movement.

Easy for him, he’d have probably 25 bucks left in his account.

14 Likes

And it will be a free bet.

1 Like

Crikey some of you getting upset reading rumours from two bit twat journalists is embarrassing.

11 Likes

Nothing left in it after he took Michael Hurley to the bank a few years ago.

2 Likes

I was thinking exactly the same. Perhaps because at Carlton he’s guaranteed a game… with us he might have competition for a spot.

2 Likes

We’ve been out of the premiership conversation for 17 years. We are a couple of quality players short. We have a good list, but we need to add to it. Now is the time.

4 Likes