Trade Period Review

No meaningful changes.

This year was all about just sitting on our hands, as we pay off the price for the dumb Shiel trade.

1 Like

Yep, I’m happy. Two biggest weaknesses, improved for cheap.

Now go after small forwards in the draft.

1 Like

8/10

Cutler is nice but superfluous IMO
Phillips is a pretty solid ruckman who will play a fair hit IMO and fills a dire need
Retention of Joe and Orazio was no mean feat

Honestly think this will set us up more so than our previous drafts. We held firm. Refused to be pushed over. Line in the sand type stuff.

We have put our trust in ourselves for once as opposed to doubting our processes and fearing the future.

I think it’s a real turning point post Saga tbh. I don’t think anyone should be underselling it.

15 Likes

Are you feeling ok?

9 Likes

blink

1 Like

Joe, Devon Smith, fit Raz?

1 Like

Who are you, and WTF did you do with Alex

12 Likes

We kept who we wanted to keep. Got some additions who strengthen us.

We farked Carlton.

And made Sydney look stupid.

Magnificent.

5 Likes

daniher was suppose to be fit this year wasn’t he ?
ditto raz ?
smith has a degenerative knee issue.

and the funniest thing of all is, i’m pretty sure pre season hasn’t even started so how can anyone be predicting in 6 months time any of these players will be “fit” ?

good to see not much changes around here, and everything will just magically happen and get better next year.
can’t wait.

By the way Fark Carlton

1 Like

After the previous years trades, we had to have a fairly quiet period.

Then Joe threw us a curve ball, but we held firm and stuck to our statements. The hard bit is still to come - get him fit and get his head back in the game. A new fitness guy and the coaching shuffle will hopefully do that.

Badly needed another ruck. Tick. Phillips looks ok, has a bit of mobility and able to follow up on the ground. I think he’ll offer something different to Belly, but perhaps not the tapwork.

Cutler. I’m a bit meh, but when I think about it, the wing position is becoming more important again and depending on our gamestyle he might be more useful than I thought. Solid player either way.

2 Likes

Could have been worse. You can’t really rate this year’s trades without knowing what happens with joe (and raz) next year. But we played the hand we were dealt fairly well, and managed to avoid (or at least delay) having our entire forward line blow away in the breeze…

Phillips is a good pickup, bit worried about his lack of durability, but he can play (and he should only be a backup anyway)

Not wildly excited about Cutler, I’m just not quite sure what role he plays in a side. Would have preferred Bonar or Martin, but it seems we just didn’t have the $ for either, so que sera sera there.

1 Like

We traded aggressively last year and the year before that. We have new coaches. We have a new head coach in waiting. Plenty has changed.

I’d also argue depth is important. Cutler isn’t best 22, but it’s pretty rare a list is 100% healthy. I think he’s an upgrade on 2018 Begley, Hams, McNeice, Baugley.

We have next to no genuine wingmen. Fills a genuine need.

3 Likes

We retained 2 of our best players - thats a win. The 2 sides to every coin favoured us this year with Dodoro’s reputation being an advantage in deflecting unwanted trades. We needed a ruckman & got one - hopefully we don’t need him much or he outperforms expectation & becomes a best 22. Also picked up a cheap fringe with some potential to get back to a decent best 22 player. On the whole it was a successful trade period & job well done by Dodoro & all others involved.

My wish list was for an inside mid but of the trades done Greenwood is the only one that stands out as something I would want & maybe Steven if we thought we could get him mentally back to his best. I thought both those trades were good value to the buyers. I also thought the dogs did well (I rate Bruce as a solid KP) & would have been disappointing had we lost Joe & not targeted Bruce as a replacement.

3 Likes

Cutler is one a 1 year deal.

Hardly over investing.

1 Like

New Fitness guy
New Coaching direction
New Caracella
New Decade
New Essendon.

2 Likes

Yep, and cost SFA.

Not sure why so many see him in the B22 straight up yet.

He may light up immediately with a new club, environment & new opportunities etc, … or we’ve just scored the bargain of the decade, … but I think you’d presume he’d have some shortcomings, & work & proving to do at that price & single year rating.

Need to get Nubrick & Dons smallgoods back on board as co sponsors.

NuDon’s.

3 Likes

EFC 4th best

Syd 16th- nice vid of Barrett and Plough giving Swans a massive clip for their offer!

1 Like