Trade scenarios to land Stringer, post Saad and Smith?

Next years first for Stringer
11 for Saad and 22
22 for Smith
Get it done this week.
Put our feet up and wait for draft day
Win flag 2018
Simples

19 Likes

I would do that. Dogs won’t.

Dogs wil do that. Strong draft.

1 Like

depends. if he says he only wants to play for essendon like luke ball, could be pick 30, or less.

Agree right now, yes, Smith would be in our top ten, but at his peak… 2 years ago. he would be in our top 2-3 players

Smith is still young, can peak a second time. There are loads of examples of this happening. For example Hibberd , back almost to his 2013 best with Melbourne this year.

I think the Dogs would do it. Strong draft and Scott West’s lad is coming through who is rated highly. Would give the Dogs their first pick and one to use on F/S as every chance he could be bid on very early

4 Likes

Agree entirely, but it does constrain things a bit which helps. We now have a baseline to work from.

I would do everything we can before trading our 2018 1st rd. We might be able to get a 2nd rd next year if say Langford, Lav, Colyer want to leave for more opportunity but would not get a 1st. Not having 1st rd draft pick in 2 year would be very risky

2 Likes

As long as we get the dogs to counter our initial, quite frankly, poor offer, then we can figure something out.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Dog’s counter was pick 11…again

So put next years first to GWS for Smith and 23
11 for Stringer
23 for Saad and try for 36 or 39 back.

1 Like

Then we should say ok, how about your third back see what flies. If yes then lock it away and move on.

I don’t believe at his peak he is better than those players.

All of those players have more runs on the board except maybe Fantasia.

We’re no guarantee to make finals next year. It’s not like we made it easily and we had an easy fixture this year.

Dogs would take it, i’d play that card late if necessary.

1 Like

I’d keep it really simple and I think it can be.

Pick 11 for stringer

Next years second for Saad. GC already has a heap of seconds this year, Saad is good but they shouldn’t get to hung up on draft order.

Then it’s what do you do with Smith. This is the one trade we’re points do matter as GWS predominantly drafts academy. So get them the most amount of points. Pick 28, swap positions on our 3rd and 4ths. Even offloading someone for a third rounder would give GWS points more in line with early second.

Can do the three trades today, they are fair and uncomplicated.

But that is dependent on whether those clubs want that. It may seem simple but it rarely ever is.

FFS were not giving up 11 for stringer on his own. hes not worth that with the risk involved. also fark the bulldogs.

7 Likes

I don’t know about this, we were pretty clear we wouldn’t chase anyone over about 26-28yo. Which suggests they’re looking at avout a 5 year window rather than focusing on 2018 in particular.

Particularly with Watson/Stanton/Hocking, Kelly and probably Bird and Howlett going. A lot of years and games’ experience going out the door.

FWIW I think it’s the right approach. We need to spend a year on developing and blooding 3 or 4 midfielders.

GWS don’t have many academy prospects this year.

Only parties that might be interested in points are… Richmond for Naish?..Brisbane for Ballenden?

(EDIT: Who knows, but Brisbane may join the table once the Rockliff compensation is announced)

Make this guy Prime Minister