Trade scenarios to land Stringer, post Saad and Smith?

Someone wants him, and were not kicking him out of the club. If you want contracted young blokes you pay up.

Bar anything completely unreasonable (ie GC not trading Saad unless they receive 1st round pick) we have to complete each of these trades.

2 out of 3 isn’t enough, if each of these boys has selected us as their destination club we can’t let them down. It would set this clubs reputation further back and embarrass us so much if this goes pear shaped.

What decent player and their manager would come near us again if we fk this up, we look to have finally got ourselves into a position of being a trusted and appealing destination we need to rubber stamp it.

If it means paying abit overs so be it, Melbourne did it with melksham, hawks with omeara, Geelong with Stanley etc.

We can’t be targeting in demand players and expecting a fkn bargain, we gotta be prepared to swallow our pride (just a little)

32 Likes

Jumpers

String #5
Smith #4
Saad #39 or #10 (if Francis is traded).

@Stallion
Good post buddy.
Wholeheartedly agree.

l would take that trade and do it pronto,

2 Likes

28 and Ablett to Geelong
Duncan to Gold Coast
Saad and 24 to Essendon
11 to Gws
Smith and 25 to Essendon.
24 and 25 to Dogs.
Stringer to Essendon.

Dons Get SSS. Lose 11,28
Dogs get 24,25 lose Stringer.
Gws get 11 lose 25 and Smith
Gold Coast lose Saad, Ablett and 24 gain Duncan.
Geelong gain Ablett and 28, lose Duncan.

I think GWS are the ripped off party. That being said I think they are just looking for first round picks to use. They’ll trade for the saints first two(Tomlinson), our first(Smith) and be set for draft picks.

Can’t see geelong being happy there
Duncan is a serious player

1 Like

I couldn’t agree more with this
Just get it done (within reason)

I too dream that our 11 and 28 could get it done with a bit of pick wrangling but if not, just do 11 for stringer. 28 for saad and next year’s second and this year’s third for smith

I feel the Stringer one is different…surely WB get saddled with all the criticism for their schizophrenic behaviour on that one.

The more I think about WB-Stringer, the more I think WB just created a mess. I bet when they told Jake to find a new club, they didn’t mention to him that a top 10 pick was required. That is an important detail that I would love to find out about…Stringer probably started doing his due diligence visits, and they added that clause later on…What did WB expect? That there would be so much demand from multiple clubs that a top ten pick was assured, without even needing to mention it in the first place? Clearly they misjudged the market. Now the second best bid appears to be at pick 20, and transactions are typically priced marginally better than that next best option. But WB are trying to backtrack. What a total stuff up. Connors is going to publicly flame them I reckon.

1 Like

I wrote this at the start of the thread, and still think this principle is important.

The rumours on Bomberblitz now seem to be $600kx4 for Stringer, $550kx4 for Smith.

But people here are still saying give 11 for Stringer, 28 for Smith? That’s illogical! The picks surrendered for each player should be similar.

Frankly, we need to find out what GWS will accept, hopefully an early second round pick, and then hammer WB in mediation with this logic that they should accept virtually the same.

PS. WB just acquired Trengove for something like $500kx3, and it generated a FA compensation of pick 30. Again says to me that pick 11 would be overpaying for Stringer, and pick 28 underpaying for Smith.

3 Likes

Yeo Stalion spot on.

If we pay slight overs and all 3 are best 22 and peeforming close to their best.

We still win big time.

Surely a pick 6 franga, is a timely reminder that picks are overratted

3 Likes

@skidmark82
You are on the money
Of course bulldogs will insist on pick 11
Stringer is our priority

Not enough

If 28 isn’t enough how is throwing in a plastic takeaway spork gonna sweeten the deal?

1 Like

I’d be surprised if Jackets didn’t use a future pick to keep at least a second rounder in this year’s draft.
The argument against that seems to be next year’s supposed Super Draft.
However counting this year the last three drafts have all been seen as weaker than the next years draft.
2016 was supposed to be much better than 2015, 2017 much better than 2016 and so on.
A so called super draft hasn’t eventuated for quite some time.
Better to keep the list ticking over with some reasonable chances of another Zach, than to put all our eggs in a 2018 basket, which by the time it arrives may be overrated.

GWS are going to want ~ 24 for Smith
GC ~ 28 for Saad

1 Like

Ess
Out: Francis, Colyer, Green, 28
In: Stringer, Saad, Smith

WB
Out: Stringer
In: 16

GC
Out: Saad
In: Colyer

GWS
Out: Smith
In: 28, Green

Adl:
Out: 16
In: Francis

28 for Saad throws into sharp focus thatbwe really did get boned on the Hibberd deal last year. Not much that could be done, Dees simply couldn’t find a better 2nd round pick. If only they had Carlton to give them a 2nd rounder for no discernible reason…

1 Like

The Hibbo trade was a bit of a skewed transaction though - probably more similar to how Stringer is now. He wanted a trade, coming off a year off, with the club publicly stating it would facilitate. So we were never going to get his worth, and the year off cooled his value regardless. He would have been more of a 15-19 pick otherwise. Stringer would be a top 10 easy without the negativity - maybe top 5.

1 Like

Just get the trade done. 11 for stringer. This year’s 2nd for saad. Next year’s for Smith.

The less 2nd rounders we have the less chance of more Steinberg Morgan types.

2 Likes