Trade scenarios to land Stringer, post Saad and Smith?

Ok. Here is a crack at a trade strategy

First

Trade 11 & 28 to GC
In Saad & 23 & 36 (currently GC have pick 35 from Tigers and this will likely be 36 after FA)

For those who love draft points, this values Saad - 663 points which is around pick 28/29 but keep in mind GC have loads of early 20’s picks so upgrading into 11 would be very advantageous for them.

Next
Francis and 36 to Adelaide
Essendon get 16 and 52 (likely 54 after FA)

So at this point we have 16, 23, 46 (likely 48), 52 (likely 54) & Saad

And we need Smith and Stringer which is very achievable from there.

I’d suggest Jackets would be able to find a way to get both Stringer and Smith and attain a second round pick.

No future picks damaged.

3 Likes

But it limits our chance of another Begley/Zerrett type. Do you see the conundrum Haha

1 Like

I’d say the misses far outweigh the hits for the 2nd round range of drafts in the last 10 years.

As HM said in another thread a lot of our talent seems to be first round or 3rd and rookies.

1 Like

That would be a weak and gutless approach by Jackets.

I think we can do a lot better than that.

3 Likes

Fair play you think that but it’s probably more likely than most predictions

We should be looking to trade players and pick swapping

If we are trying to get these 3 while not exploring shifting contracted players like Colyer and Myers even if it marginally improves our draft position then I’d be dissapointed.

You may well be then. No guarantees that the players we want to offload want to go or have suitors

Also, when comparing to Trengove, it’s important to note Stringer has been told to fark off, and GWS are supposedly trying to shed salary cap.

1 Like

If we just fold, we won’t lose as many games.

As per your name i think these players will be talked /asked about . Its a changing world, both are young and both are talented - and Langers ceiling is unknown but hes 20. Francis disappointing gir him as much anyone

1 Like

It may well be. But if Dodoro offers what @barnz says in week 1 and walks away without trying then that’s like accepting asking price on car without negotiating.

Farking stupid.

1 Like

Also also when comparing to Trengove, if he was from brisbane instead of port it would be pick 19 as compensation not pick 30. Also also also free agent compensation isn’t supposed to approximate fair value. Also also also also Trengove is 27 this year, not 23.

Its not about the trades themselves in isolation, its about sending a message to other players that if you want to come to essendon and we want you there we’ll get you there. take a hit to become a proper destination club.

7 Likes

And before you jump down my throat spewing out cooney, chapman, leuy, gwilt etc. we are talking about players tht are either about to enter their prime or still a ways from it whilst still being more than regular afl contributors. completely different kettle of fish to washed up has beens.

1 Like

It also send a message that we are ■■■■■■■.

Even if it was 11 & 46 for Stringer and 26

You then have 26 & 28 left for Saad and Smith. Keep next year’s second rounder.

Seriously this thread reminds me of

I don’t spew about used trucks.

I too think 11 for Stringer outright is a bit much, given they’ve publicly turfed him.
11 for him and their 3rd, or similar

We need to keep some change for Saad & Smith, preferably keep the 2018 first rounder too.

1 Like

Yep if Hibberd was worth 28 who is an AA then Saad for 28 seems right.

They way I look at stringer, Smith and Saad are all far more likely to figure in our best 22 next year than Francis is. If he is the card that has to fall to get all 3 over the line together with our first two selections this year I could live with that.

Having had a close look at him Something around 20ish feels right for Smith. I think 28 is probably slight offers for Saad but suspect that it what it will take to get it done. I could live with it.

The dogs will not accept something without a first round pick and likely 11. Invovled

With that in mind we either have turn 11 into 2 mid to late first round picks, involve next year’s picks or turn a player (Francis) into a mid to late first round pick.

It will not be easy but those are the 3 avenues we have to explore.

If GC dig in on something around 20 for Saad it will make it very difficult. From a list build perspective he probably most directly fills a need though. We need to find 3 small defenders right now. Stringer and Smith both have clouds over them due to form, fitness and suitability for the forward/mid role they are being groomed for. Fwiw I think both can fill the role very well if they find fitness and form.

I can’t see us getting the dogs second round pick back with stringer and it probably isn’t enough to land either Saad or Smith if their clubs play hard ball anyway.

Brisbane and tigers seem the options for turning 11 into 2 decent picks but in both instances I suspect we’d have to put in our 2nd round pick too and we then run the risk of the dogs just burning it all down. We’d likely still be short for Saad too unless next year’s picks become involved.

I think colyer is unlikely to accept a trade or any of our more senior guys for that matter. If someone like Myers could be involved somehow I’d be pretty down with that but he’d have to agree and really, who wants to go to the Gold coast.

All that leads me to conclude getting Francis involved if the sa clubs are interested and willing to dish a first round selection it may be the most direct route to getting it done. Unfortunately port don’t have a pick until 29 and the crows seem luke warm. Id be surprised if either we inclined to offer up picks from next year.

Hhmmmppphh.

Ultimately it may fall to us to gamble with our first round selection next year. If we think it is going to be late first round maybe that is the price we pay.

1 Like

By heaps of reports next years draft is likely to bat deep enough that pick 15+ could be equivalent to something around the top 10 this year, especially for talls.

And i think next year we should look to draft some project talls as with hurley and hooker getting on in years we’re gonna need key forwards/defender depth

2 Likes

Agree but we are going to have to give up something that stings a little too get all 3

1 Like