Trade Talk 2019 Pt2

Um, 2 every 4 years?

I beer, 2 beers what’s the difference between friends.

1 Like

I’d struggle to believe our 2 late 2nd rounders would purchase a 1st rounder. Surely other clubs could do a better deal.

The implication was we were shopping next year’s first. I guess plus at least one of our seconds.

Our 2020 first rounder could be a pretty early pick IMO :rofl:…I’d be very cautious about trading it…but Dodoro/Xavier might want to empty the cupboard before they ride off into the sunset*

*I say things like this for my own entertainment and sanity, please don’t get worked up about it.

3 Likes

Inside mid or CHF

I go KPP given JD…

Can trade for a inside midfielder

Can anyone tell me if the number of picks we have aligns with our number of list vacancies currently - if not as I understand we will need to make a trade before the draft (and before end of today)? Can anyone confirm?

We have room to take 4 picks in the National Draft.

I would be very surprised if we needed to make a trade before the draft.

We’ll also get another one next year when Joe leaves.

maybe… maybe not.

So we have room for 4 picks but aren’t our picks 31,33, 61, 64 and 65?

So there are 5 spots in total including rookies? Guess it depends how many we intend to take is it 31 and 33 plus Draper elevation? Or is it 3 plus Draper?

As I understand you can’t take more picks to the draft than you have list spots?

Can anyone confirm this?

You have as many picks as you want. We could draft the entire list in 1 year if we had the spots.

Any picks after we pass just disappear.

You can’t. They changed the rules on this a few years back IIRC.

Clubs have bit more flexibility with amount of senior vs rookies though which can help, but that just relates to list spots available not having picks simply don’t use.

I think the point of this rule is you can’t use more draft picks in bids or trades than you have list spots open.

As in we can trade 2 picks for another 2 picks - but not 2 for 1 (or 3 for 2).

As it is, we’ll take them to the draft and pass on the last one.

(Actually we may have a loophole here anyway, Draper isn’t officially upgraded yet, I think??)

We can have as many picks as we want, assuming we delist everyone

The change was that is we only had those 4 list spots then the pick 65 couldn’t be used as “points” because we never actually had that pick.

That was completely the right answer and reduced one of the loopholes

4 Likes

Thanks very much

Saints just picked up Ryan Abbott. More competition for Ryder.

Surely we trade our spare 4th rounder for a future fourth rounder from another club. But depends how deep this draft is.

I thought this years draft was poor…

This is every AFL club’s future draft pick hand. 15 are seriously hamstrung

It has been pick swap galore in the week leading up to the draft, with four deals struck in four days.

Mar 19 2020

7:25PM

Which AFL clubs are hamstrung in terms of trading future picks? Photo: Dylan Burns/AFL Photos.Source: Supplied

However, there is a method to the madness of the recruiting teams, with several clubs looking for ways to get back into the juicy part of the 2019 draft.

More than half of the AFL clubs are severely hamstrung in their attempts to trade future picks over the next week, due to the league’s strict rules and regulations.

Stream over 50 sports live & anytime on your TV or favourite device with KAYO SPORTS. The biggest Aussie sports and the best from overseas. Just $25/month. No lock-in contract. Get your 14 day free trial >

A quartet of clubs — GWS, Melbourne, Port Adelaide and West Coast — currently don’t hold first-round picks for the 2020 draft. It means they are not permitted to trade any future selections at the draft next Wednesday and Thursday, unless they receive a 2020 first-rounder back from a rival club.

However, the Giants, Power and Eagles can trade a third-round selection as they have two at their disposal.

The other clubs impacted will be Carlton, Essendon, Fremantle, Gold Coast, St Kilda, Sydney Swans and Western Bulldogs - seven teams that have already traded away at least one of their 2020 selections. Due to that, all seven clubs will not be allowed to trade their future first-round pick, unless they replenish the specific round future selections they recently lost.

SCROLL DOWN TO SEE HOW ALL 18 AFL CLUBS SIT IN TERMS OF THEIR 2019 AND 2020 SELECTIONS

Elijah Taylor could be snapped up in the second round. Photo: Michael Dodge/AFL Photos.

Elijah Taylor could be snapped up in the second round. Photo: Michael Dodge/AFL Photos.Source: Supplied

It means more than half of the league’s clubs will need to get creative if they want to move up the draft order or stockpile picks.

These restrictions are designed to protected clubs from themselves, potentially selling the farm and failing on field.

“If a club trades a future first-round selection, it may not trade any other future selection from that same draft,” the AFL regulations read.

“But if a club keeps its future first-round selection, it can trade any of its future selections from other rounds.”

Adelaide, Brisbane Lions, Geelong and North Melbourne all have two first-round selections in their armour for 2020, which would allow any of them to trade if a deal appealed.

MORE AFL DRAFT NEWS

TOP 25 DRAFT PROSPECTS: The future AFL stars your club will target

AFL DRAFT RANKINGS 26-50: The hidden gems your club can nab for a bargain

Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (left) is one of the top draft prospects for 2020. Photo: Andy Brownbill.Source: News Corp Australia

Ahead of this week, both Hawthorn and Collingwood were among the clubs keen to shift their 2020 first-round selection but, ultimately, unable to given their constraints.

The Hawks managed to secure a future second-round pick from the Roos, allowing them to replenish their stocks, while the Pies replenished their vacant third-round selection in 2020 thanks to a trade with the Lions.

AFL clubs are keen to trade selections out of 2020, with next year’s draft crop appearing to be thinner and highly compromised due to the array of father-son and academy selections across the 18 clubs.

“I’d rather have a pick this year, as I don’t think it’s anywhere near as strong next year,” player manager Liam Pickering explained on SEN SA .

“Next year’s draft will be very thin.”

The 2019 national AFL draft will be held at Marvel Stadium across two nights, with FOX FOOTY to broadcast both days live.

HOW YOUR CLUB IS AFFECTED BY FUTURE PICK LIVE TRADING GUIDELINES

Adelaide: Can trade one 2020 first-round pick, as they have acquired two (GWS’ and their own) but don’t have a full allotment of future picks.

Brisbane Lions: Can trade one 2020 first-round pick, as they have acquired two (Port’s and their own) but don’t have a full allotment of future picks.

Carlton: Can’t trade their future first-round selection as they don’t hold a 2020 fourth-round pick.

Collingwood: Free to trade any future selection as they currently hold a full allotment of 2020 picks.

Essendon: Can’t trade their future first-round selection as they don’t hold a 2020 third-round pick.

Fremantle: Can’t trade their future first-round selection as they don’t hold a 2020 fourth-round pick.

Geelong: Can trade two 2020 first-round pick, as they have acquired two (West Coast’s and their own) and have a full allotment of 2020 future selections

Gold Coast Suns: Can’t trade their future first-round selection as they don’t hold a 2020 third-round pick.

GWS Giants: Can’t trade any future selection as they traded away their 2020 first-round pick.

Hawthorn: Free to trade any future selection as they currently hold a full allotment of 2020 picks.

Melbourne: Can’t trade any future selection as they traded away their 2020 first-round pick.

North Melbourne: Can trade one 2020 first-round pick, as they have acquired two (Melbourne’s and their own) but don’t have a full allotment of future picks.

Port Adelaide: Can’t trade any future selection as they traded away their 2020 first-round pick.

Richmond: Free to trade any future selection as they currently hold a full allotment of 2020 picks.

St Kilda: Can’t trade their future first-round selection as they don’t hold a 2020 second-round, third-round and fifth-round pick.

Sydney Swans: Can’t trade their future first-round selection as they don’t hold a 2020 fourth-round pick.

West Coast Eagles: Can’t trade any future selection as they traded away their 2020 first-round pick.

Western Bulldogs: Can’t trade their future first-round selection as they don’t hold a 2020 second-round pick.

3 Likes