Trade Talk 2019: who should we beat our chest like an ape about now?

■■■■ off. That can’t be true. The rumour is he was only on 500k.

Article on fox sports today said Setterfield was on $400k, which is ridiculous for any second year player, much less one who didn’t play a senior game this year and so that figure would be base wage without match payments.

I know in their earlier years they were able to heavily front-load contracts because most of their list was kids and journeymen. I wonder if that’s biting them now, the guys whose wages were artificially inflated because of early lack of competition for share of the salary cap extended on the same level of $, and their teammates who missed out on the bonanza years are now wanting cash proportionate to performance.

Or else it might have been good old fashioned incompetence.

2 Likes

GWS is doing a massive salary cap dump. Anyone else suspect they were well over the cap and the AFL has demanded they clean house instead of publicly letting the world know and punishing them?

18 Likes

Why are they giving away Scully, selling Setterfield cheaply but demanding 2 firsts for Shiel?

4 Likes

Wingard and Scully automatically make Hawthorn a finals bound team. With Mitchell and O’Meara, there is serious star power in their midfield. They missed out on Shiel but have moved on from that disappointment with the addition of those 2 players. For the second time in 3 years Hawthorn are the big winners in the trade period and will be playing finals footy in 2019. Essendon will also be playing finals footy next year. I look forward to our game/s against them. It’s time Essendon turn the tables on them, Collingwood and Richmond. They finally have the team and true desire to make it happen.

Perhaps we are waiting because if the Hawks get Scully for pick 53, our 2 second round picks for Shiel will look like we paid well over?

If GWS need to dump cap space, the longer it goes on the better it is for us I suspect.

One almost wonders if having a list manager who spent his last two years there knowing he had no intention of hanging around might not have led to sustainable list management.

5 Likes

Maybe back in 2016, when the Giants were having a tilt at a flag, they signed a whole lot of players up to back-ended contracts, and now they don’t all fit.

1 Like

I haven’t thought about it.

But knowing the grubs that run the competition I’d say it’s even money.

6 Likes

Whatever is the reason for the GWS salary cap issues, it means that 9 and change gets the Shiel trade done. None of this two first rounder rubbish.

9 Likes

Lynch will make a massive difference to Richmond as well

Like how the Dank Gold Coast link was well investigated, with that positive test and all…

3 Likes

Let’s use this year and next year firsts to land Shiel and Scully. If it means that Colyer, Bags and Luey depart then I can live with that. Come on Hardoro, do it!!!

3 Likes

Either Scully’s ankle is crushed to a fine powder or GWS are about to get caught for salary cap breaches.

Stinks of desperation. Absolute no f@cking way a 27yr old Scully is worth pick #69

3 Likes

Unless he has a get out of jail clause in his contract? Says he can go wherever he wants for next to nothing.

We should lob a second rounder at the deal, just to keep the Hawks honest.

There must be significant injury concerns over Scully for only Hawks to really be that keen. Think Hawks back their medical staff to het him right.

GWS letting him go that cheaply (with that long left in his contract) must be a hint that he’s not 100%

No, other clubs are keen but his management won’t deal with them atm.

So I just checked out Nixon’s Twitter. The bloke is barely coherent most of the time.

Then I doubled up and went looking for trade whisperer. It looks like he/she/they have wiped all their tweets?

AFL rescinded GWS salary cap concessions early, didn’t they?

AFL has completely ballsed up both of their expansion clubs, poor governance anybody?

4 Likes