Trade Targets

I heard midseason Collingwood were after him. Big chance he’d interest them and have more opportunities there than with us.

Besides his athletic gifts he has a bit of attitude, which I like. Could do worse.

1 Like

Not that this is of much help but Close is from the where I live. Seen him play at junior level back when he was 17 at senior level. He was very raw at that stage, was playing in the backline if I remember correctly. He hardly dominated but was athletic, tall and skinny. Took a few good grabs and read the play well. Nothing that screamed AFL quality to me at that age. But a good honest player.

To gauge it on others from around here who have made it. He was nothing like Adam Goodes who I played footy with and against, absolute freak show. Or Jake Lloyd who’s family I know pretty well. A little of topic but Jakes 2 younger brothers are very good players. Billy who never got drafted was a better footballer at the same age (one the WFL bnf off 6 or so games). Then he has a younger brother Matt who plays fwd, is taller and also a very good player (won the u21 BOG in the GF this year). Think he is 18 next year. Could we have another Matty Lloyd? One to watch next year for the Ballarat Rebels. Very nice family.

3 Likes

That’s all I need.

1 Like

Yeah if he can play KPD he might be worth a look as we probably need someone to challenge Hartley.

Was he the guy that Jon Brown said should sue Etihad Stadium and the AFL for doing his ACL?

1 Like

There’s a roundup of the Draft Combine on Fox Footy today.

Unfortunately raving about Ben Miller. Does look a good sort at 196 and 98 or was it 198 and 96.

So he might struggle to drop to 48.

Looks a KPF who can run in theruck.

1 Like

Time for WOB to circulate rumours about a degenerative ankle or knee injury that’s been kept secret by the family. Or maybe the good old OP is causing him trouble…

So, according to Blitz we’re going Miles or Close?

Comments from Melbourne CEO Peter Jackson in regards to Jack Watts.

“I’ve heard him say at times, ‘I just wish I was pick 48’. I think that’s the calibre of player he’s been, he hasn’t been that number one draft pick, his performance, his stats don’t indicate he was the number one draft pick."

Bit of a whack on the way out the door. Not sure I would like our CEO saying that about a departing player.

13 Likes

Yeah, pretty classless. And slimy.

And more to the point - Watts isn’t wrong here. The only reason he was a #1 pick is because Melbourne made him one. He didn’t ask for it, and some of us coughlikemecough thought his u18 stats were puffed up through beating up on lesser opponents and that the dees picked him in front of some clearly better players. But Jackson is keen to blame watts for this, rather than even mention the responsibility of his recruitment team. If watts had even been picked in the 4-6 range, very few would be complaining about his output. Sure, hurls at 5 is clearly better from that draft, but Watts poos all over blokes like Yarran and Vickery who were also top-10 picks.

Failed CEO of a failing club blaming his clubs failures on someone that his club failed. Pretty fkg low.

40 Likes

It’s a bit of a cheap shot I thought.

I don’t mind if the CEO’s want to comment on the list as a collective, but to single somebody out like that in public is pretty weak.

Watts was also a year younger than those recruits too wasn’t he?

WE HAVE PICK 48!!!

3 Likes

that’s actually really poor to be honest.

2 Likes

Failed CEO? No way.

I would be happy with a Jack Watts at 48.

1 Like

True, but it is Peter Jackson.

So you could add failed general manager to his accomplishments.

What a w@nker

Nothing good comes of a comment like that.

4 Likes