Tragedy in Tassie - flying bouncy castle kills kids

How many stories would 10 metres be?

1 Like

3’ish

3 Likes

Height of a telephone/power pole

Way too high

2 Likes

I’ve just heard 4 children have died now (c9 news). Truly horrific and deepest condolences to family and friends.

WTF, this is seriously tragic.

1 Like

Yeah 4, but 4 more critical:
Four children have died and four others are in a critical condition after wind picked up a jumping castle and threw it into the air at an end-of-year activity day at a Tasmanian primary school.
Several grade 6 students fell from a height of about 10 metres, causing serious injuries, when wind blew the jumping castle into the air at Hillcrest Primary School in Devonport, in the state’s north-west.
“Of the four [deceased] children, two were boys and two were girls.”

This is such a shocking tragedy and totally unnecessary. Ban those crappy jumping castles, they have been a problem for a long time.

1 Like

4!? Shattering. I cannot fathom how hard this will impact a lot of people.

2 Likes

At the very least, public liability insurance costs for bouncing castle people will skyrocket, which may remove the need for legislation to ban them.

Indoors only I’d suggest.

So sad.

The worst part is, it could of been quite preventable (if it was secured). The trauma that will effect the other children that were not even on the apparatus will be significant and maybe forever long lasting.

The poor families especially this time of year and that part of their children development, it is really unfathomable. My heart goes out to these poor parents and school friends. I was at school on a last day at school when a school friend was racing the bus back, he slid and went under the bus, a lot of people never recovered from that traumatic event, this is on such a bigger scale, can’t even begin imagine what these poor people are going through.

8 Likes

When I worked at Councils bouncy castles et al was always a topic of contention. Responsibility seemed to get flicked around usually due to what a the classification was, which act it fell under.

I remember when I first started we rang building control down here cause we wanted a determination wether it fell under public health or building regs, OHS. It always fell through the cracks instead.

The final comment was always “where’s the risk?” which is Council for “WGAF?”.

You’ll find the “risk” becomes clearer the further you drive up the NE coast from Launceston.

It’s called the “wind”.

Those parents, those families, those kids.

Beyond tragedy.

2 Likes

Of course its a tragedy but ban jumping castles fmd.

1 Like

There will be a lot of damaged people from this. Families, students, teachers and emergency services will take a long time to recover, if ever.

Unfathomable that your kids can go to school and not return. Bloody heartbreaking.

so sad.

1 Like

I just got back from my daughters grade 6 break up in a school park. I couldn’t imagine what those families must be going through

1 Like

There have been a few here in the UK

My Year 6 is literally having his graduation in a half hour.

I don’t want to imagine the real life living hell that the parents are having today… what is supposed to be a festive and celebratory time of year. I’m just farking sick.

This also doesn’t help my anxiety around him having dental surgery next month.

4 Likes

this

1 Like

My young bloke is just going into grade 6.

Hug your kids people.

Additional.

The great thing about Tassie is also a ■■■■■■ thing sometimes - it’s small, and your eventually going to get to the point where you know someone that’s impacted by it. We have a friend who is a grief councillor for, you guessed it, the NW. She’s just been in the phone to my other half after locking herself in a room for 10 minutes and crying.

Seriously, these people are beyond strong.

So now my other half has the flow on from that, and is just flat as you can get on the bed. Out of tears, just wants chocolate (which is where I’m going).

It’s awful. I just blamed myself for bringing it down on us by watching nitram last night. Stuff like this ■■■■■ with your head.

5 Likes

Jeepers. Can’t watch the news when you know this is on. Xmas will be a very sad time for that whole community for a very long time.

1 Like