Training 11th of Dec. The Darcy Parish show

The player I simply couldn’t take my eyes off was Langford… Full ■■■■ erectus

I seriously think they are grooming him to be the next inside mid beast ala Watson

The way he uses his body and strength to first contest the ball at ground level, and to protect it while he disposes of it is very, very similar.

Gleesons definitely bigger through the legs and shoulders, looks an almost similar build to laverde in his first season…

The Ant said: “…Long was super today. Super elusive and creative. …” Very good to hear this.

Jumping on Leverde for rising star paying $17 good odds me thinks!

Jumping on Leverde for rising star paying $17 good odds me thinks!

May as well throw 20 on THE as well.

The Ant said: "...Long was super today. Super elusive and creative. ..." Very good to hear this.

The club really rate Long, but just like Gach, he’s a skinny kid who is a project, rather than a ready to rock and roll player.
The kid has some very nice skills, but is still a twig. Makes Gleeson look like Hooker.

So was his old man

So was his old man
Accurate use of "was"...

Most accurate use of accurate ever accurated in the history of accurate-ing.

comparing footy from 30 years ago to now… just old people things.

Thanks Ben and Ant. My big question, what is the difference from this years training to last year training?? This time last year everyone was raving about
how the team looked good under Hird’s training methods. You say in your report Ben, we are under a new world training methodology under Woosha. So was Hird coaching us under “old school training situations” ? How did Hartley look? Cheers.

The Ant said: "...Long was super today. Super elusive and creative. ..." Very good to hear this.

The club really rate Long, but just like Gach, he’s a skinny kid who is a project, rather than a ready to rock and roll player.
The kid has some very nice skills, but is still a twig. Makes Gleeson look like Hooker.

I dont disagree with any of that Boot. I already know Parish is good, I like to hear about the progress of our project players.

I dont disagree with any of that Boot. I already know Parish is good, I like to hear about the progress of our project players.

Me too.

Thanks Ben and Ant. My big question, what is the difference from this years training to last year training?? This time last year everyone was raving about how the team looked good under Hird's training methods. You say in your report Ben, we are under a new world training methodology under Woosha. So was Hird coaching us under "old school training situations" ? How did Hartley look? Cheers.

I think afl clubs are all pretty cutting edge tbh. So I see this more as evolution and I wouldn’t necessarily give all kudos to you he senior coach. I’m guessing the strength and conditioning coaches all these days have master and phd’s or going to conferences or trips abroad. Hird did the same thing. The pace of change in this area is huge. I’m a boring guy and I like reading up on this stuff. I do soccer coaching. The latest stuff from the epl is that training should be 10 pct team and 90 pct individual. Players should be honing key moves, killer passes, skill moves over and over again in the context of a game. So if you are winger you would do drill where you receive the ball in your part of the pitch dribble past 4 cones, do a wall pass get the ball back go around another cone and smash it into the corner. Repeat 30 times.

Then you train as team 3 times per week doing the structure getting to know you stuff…

Again its evolving all the time. If you are good with Google and YouTube you will find it.

I will add that if you think about the best soccer and basketball teams they have 80 pct of the playing group who are solid, no frills players whose job it is to defend and give the ball off to a player in a better position. Then they have the franchise players. The guys whose job it is to receive the ball and make things happen. These are the creative guys, the impact guys. The guys who won you games…

That’s why I’m looking for these guys…

Thanks Ben and Ant. My big question, what is the difference from this years training to last year training?? This time last year everyone was raving about how the team looked good under Hird's training methods. You say in your report Ben, we are under a new world training methodology under Woosha. So was Hird coaching us under "old school training situations" ? How did Hartley look? Cheers.

I think afl clubs are all pretty cutting edge tbh. So I see this more as evolution and I wouldn’t necessarily give all kudos to you he senior coach. I’m guessing the strength and conditioning coaches all these days have master and phd’s or going to conferences or trips abroad. Hird did the same thing. The pace of change in this area is huge. I’m a boring guy and I like reading up on this stuff. I do soccer coaching. The latest stuff from the epl is that training should be 10 pct team and 90 pct individual. Players should be honing key moves, killer passes, skill moves over and over again in the context of a game. So if you are winger you would do drill where you receive the ball in your part of the pitch dribble past 4 cones, do a wall pass get the ball back go around another cone and smash it into the corner. Repeat 30 times.

Then you train as team 3 times per week doing the structure getting to know you stuff…

Again its evolving all the time. If you are good with Google and YouTube you will find it.

I will add that if you think about the best soccer and basketball teams they have 80 pct of the playing group who are solid, no frills players whose job it is to defend and give the ball off to a player in a better position. Then they have the franchise players. The guys whose job it is to receive the ball and make things happen. These are the creative guys, the impact guys. The guys who won you games…

Interesting post. In terms of refining skills the big one for me is non favored side disposal. We have an unacceptable number of players who are poor on their non preferred and there really is no excuse.

It is just muscle memory and repetitions. I developed my wrong side by practising the movement constantly without a ball. The key for me was studying the way each part and muscle moved when kicking on my preferred side (you don’t need slow mo footage you just needed to concentrate on the action) and then replicating that on the other, all without the ball.

Getting the footwork right, getting the wrist move right, pointing your toe, getting off your heel on your plant foot. You can walk down the hall and kick a pretend ball several before you make it to the bathroom. Do it constantly and by the end of the week you will have improved your non preferred immensely. Getting the ball drop right is the hardest bit and eventually requires a ball.

Interesting post. In terms of refining skills the big one for me is non favored side disposal. We have an unacceptable number of players who are poor on their non preferred and there really is no excuse.

It is just muscle memory and repetitions. I developed my wrong side by practising the movement constantly without a ball. The key for me was studying the way each part and muscle moved when kicking on my preferred side (you don’t need slow mo footage you just needed to concentrate on the action) and then replicating that on the other, all without the ball.

Getting the footwork right, getting the wrist move right, pointing your toe, getting off your heel on your plant foot. You can walk down the hall and kick a pretend ball several before you make it to the bathroom. Do it constantly and by the end of the week you will have improved your non preferred immensely. Getting the ball drop right is the hardest bit and eventually requires a ball.

The two sided thing is very interesting. Yes i think for some players this can be ‘their thing’. Think Darren Jarman, think Robert Murphy, Mark Harvey etc…

Being able to go both ways with equal proficiency and with skill made them very very potent - for that reason. This was their weapon.

But some players can be awesome with just one foot. But to be ok with only one foot you need to be awesome in other areas - e.g. if i am only a left sided player like Myers I better be awesome in those first milliseconds when I receive the ball. I must have a quick shimmy and the ability to make space real quick so that I can then use my left. Maradona and Messi are fully one sided players.

So this is the other trend. Don’t try and be great at every aspect - its inefficient. Be ok at everything but find the two or three things that will make you awesome and practice those over and over again. Be perfect on those things that you are natural at doing.

Real games’ll just ruin the vibe. Let’s do pre-season all the way to September!!

That’s not really the case in soccer. Even the bit part players in top sides are so good they’d be the best player in the league if you only counted bottom half sides.

The might play supporting roles more, by they are massively skilled.

wada, cas etc

That's not really the case in soccer. Even the bit part players in top sides are so good they'd be the best player in the league if you only counted bottom half sides.

The might play supporting roles more, by they are massively skilled.

Not really

At Barcelona all goals are scored by the same three players. The job of the midfielders is to first get it to Messi and then maybe the other two. Messi has full authority to roam the pitch wherever he likes and pick up the ball.

But yes to play in one of the top professional leagues you need to be great at what you do. You don’t necessarily need to be creative or a match winner. Get the ball to the match winners…like Ronaldo

Get the ball to Berisha or Barbarouses or Mooy….or Lebron James in the NBA

The two sided thing is very interesting. Yes i think for some players this can be ‘their thing’. Think Darren Jarman, think Robert Murphy, Mark Harvey etc…

Being able to go both ways with equal proficiency and with skill made them very very potent - for that reason. This was their weapon.

But some players can be awesome with just one foot. But to be ok with only one foot you need to be awesome in other areas - e.g. if i am only a left sided player like Myers I better be awesome in those first milliseconds when I receive the ball. I must have a quick shimmy and the ability to make space real quick so that I can then use my left. Maradona and Messi are fully one sided players.

So this is the other trend. Don’t try and be great at every aspect - its inefficient. Be ok at everything but find the two or three things that will make you awesome and practice those over and over again. Be perfect on those things that you are natural at doing.

Messi can dribble and control with his right foot, he can move off the line in either direction. yeah he only shoots or passes long range on his left but I don’t think if him as a one sided player