Training 20/12/13

Was lucky enough to go out to the HPC today to watch training in great conditions and also met JackieM who hopefully will provide greater detail and insight.

The boys were on the track for a bit more than 2 hours with only a small group not participating.

(JakeC, Paddy & Courtney spent a bit of time together in group work, BJ watched from the sidelines a bit and it looked like JakeM did some gym work, Oranzio wasnt there after an op on his nose to help his breathing,)  

After warmups and short sharp touch work, they moved into 4 groups, spreading across the mcg working on keeping off with handball and then kicking routines.

The main part of the training (the last 40 mins) was maximising the use of the two grounds, four teams were facing each other rotating through different focuses. This looks to be an incredible luxury to have two concurrent sessions training on a full ground. On the ground i was watching (mcg) it was 15 v 13 with a clear focus on the 15 team to keep possession using the full width and length of the ground to create space. (Again - another incredible luxury for them to be training on.)

The final part of the session was split into two sessions on the mcg, the group in front of me were working on transitions with teams moving quickly between attack and defending.

I was really just sitting back just enjoying being there, sprawled out on the grass just off from the boundary, so didnt take too much in - so sorry - not a complete account by any means, but some other insights.

Been a bit spoken about already about bombers extra voice at training - this isnt that much of a surprise for me, he is the snr coach now, but i was taken by the 'direct, forthright and non compromising expectations' In an early drill where they were keeping off kicking (in groups of 7? against 3?) he stopped the session after a little while and went off at them - saying he saw 4 consecutive kicks go to people standing still - is that what we will do in a game? Move!.. At another point he stopped play and i thought he was going to go off at some poor disposal from a tackled position but instead let loose and criticised a team for letting it be a 2 on 2 - some one get there and make it 3 on 2!!. There was also good praise for good communication which Goody also focused on a bit in some drills in front of me.

The communication from players was actually the bigger surprise/improvement for me - there was lots of examples of players on the sidelines criticising, encouraging, reminding others what to do, and not just from leaders. Lots of talking out on the ground from the players about what they should be doing and what they shouldnt. Jobe gave Kyle a bit of a serve for just giving the ball back to him - when he should have looked further. Hepp is very vocal on and off the ground encouraging others.

Tackling was hard at times, with Belly giving Zach a forceful welcome right in front of us.

Belly and Joe did a bit of a marking drill oneonone by themselves on the other side of the ground at some point.

Towards the end of the training session a few more boys were eased off - i guess for management issues - no one was injured. Licha, Zach, Aylett? heading in early and Chappy did a few laps. 

Not saying he was good or anything - but Johnny R, fitted into training fine - kicking, marking, touch were all ok - not bad i reckon for non footy rookie.

MervK mentioned that we will like Orazio, he rates him very highly (they thought he should have been a top 20 pick). 

Dustins dad was down there at some point and an umpire from 81 who gave him 4 consecutive 15metre freekicks, they had a bit of a chat and a laugh about it - Kenny laughed and said he was so annoyed he would have kicked the footy out of the mcg - but he was captain - so didnt.

Thanks for the write up! Good to see the passion and talk from the boys and coaches. Cannot wait for 2014.

Thanks for that. The talk and intensity of the criticism, as well as the encouragement, was something I noticed the other day as well.

Good to have these reports. The more the better IMO.

Dustins dad was down there at some point and an umpire from 81 who gave him 4 consecutive 15metre freekicks, they had a bit of a chat and a laugh about it - Kenny laughed and said he was so annoyed he would have kicked the footy out of the mcg - but he was captain - so didnt.

I think those 15-metre penalties were for him being on the ground when he was no longer on the list.

I think he retired in 1980.

It was very nice to meet you and Chris today - great report come and do some more in 2014.

Also attended this morning. Will post photos when I remember how!

Good report vbi. Just a special mention re Zach Merrett. Apart from maybe needing a season to get his aerobic capacity up to AFL level, his reading of the play and his disposal are already top shelf. Would not be surprised to see him overtake Jackson for a spot in the seniors some time this coming year.

Time will tell when we see him use his talent in the heat of battle.

I think those 15-metre penalties were for him being on the ground when he was no longer on the list.

Pretty sure the four 15 metre penalties were in Ken's last season as captain. It occurred at the MCG in a game against Ninthmond! And guess who was the Ninthmond stirrer who got under Ken's skin and caused a free on the Southern stand wing to finish with a goal being kicked by the said player?........that,s right! None other than the great Tiger back pocket, Kevin Sheedy!!!!!

Pretty sure the four 15 metre penalties were in Ken's last season as captain. It occurred at the MCG in a game against Ninthmond! And guess who was the Ninthmond stirrer who got under Ken's skin and caused a free on the Southern stand wing to finish with a goal being kicked by the said player?........that,s right! None other than the great Tiger back pocket, Kevin Sheedy!!!!!

How do I remember? Easy. I was there and a lot younger and going through my "hate Sheedy" phase. I recall yelling out some unrepeatable obscenities at the time only to have two elderly female Ninthmond supporters turn to me and say "your mother must love you!!" Oho oops!!

Wasn't his (EDIT: Sheedy's) last season 80 & first as coach 81? Might be wrong...

MervK mentioned that we will like Orazio, he rates him very highly (they thought he should have been a top 20 pick). 

WTF?? Bizarre.

Thanks for the report vbi

Cheers for the report though

Pretty sure the four 15 metre penalties were in Ken’s last season as captain. It occurred at the MCG in a game against Ninthmond! And guess who was the Ninthmond stirrer who got under Ken’s skin and caused a free on the Southern stand wing to finish with a goal being kicked by the said player?..that,s right! None other than the great Tiger back pocket, Kevin Sheedy!!!
Wasn’t his (EDIT: Sheedy’s) last season 80 & first as coach 81? Might be wrong…

More likely 1978?

WTF?? Bizarre.

why did we pick Merret with 26?

WTF?? Bizarre.

I guess Orazio has made an impression since being there.

Lets hope so, we need a bit of luck from this draft. Would be hilarious if merrett and Fantasia turned out to be gems.

Lets hope so, we need a bit of luck from this draft. Would be hilarious if merrett and Fantasia turned out to be gems.

It would be magic. It would ■■■■ opposition supporters off no end.

Many thanks, vbi.  Always grateful to anyone who does a training report, especially a detailed and thoughtful one.  Please keep it up.

Great report. Feel blessed that we can look forward to these updates every week. So thank-you.

The thought of Bomber’s passion and will to be successful is exciting. Bring on 2014 already.

WTF?? Bizarre.
Not a conflict, given we had a unique view of Fantasia, via Bassett. Merrett was ranked at 15 by at least one pundit prior to the draft.

Also attended this morning. Will post photos when I remember how!
Good report vbi. Just a special mention re Zach Merrett. Apart from maybe needing a season to get his aerobic capacity up to AFL level, his reading of the play and his disposal are already top shelf. Would not be surprised to see him overtake Jackson for a spot in the seniors some time this coming year.
Time will tell when we see him use his talent in the heat of battle.

l have heard enough already. l declare the Zach Merrett bandwagon is now ready for boarding and l am on it.