Training 21/1/19

I’m not convinced Brown was better than Stewart.

Stewart was very good early and was leading our goal kicking.

1 Like

People in that thread are talking about Hurley breaking his ankle, had we heard anything remotely similar on here?

Some ■■■■■■■■ on radio said gleeson was set to retire in the coming days. Chicken probably heard and has run with it. Doubt there is any substance.

And then got dropped for not playing well? Brown finished the season with more goals and played way more reliable and consistent football. He was better. Stewart had a good first few games and was leading the goal kicking while Daniher was injured and Brown was in defence. I’m not sure it’s relevant.

3 Likes

I hope not. I really like Gleeson.

Its coming from the same oxygen thief that said Bellchambers was GONE during the trade period.

3 Likes

The whole side should have been dropped not just Stewart.

Hard to compare with the stark difference in output from when Brown was playing.

Unless you think Brown was the catalyst for our form turnaround.

He was there for 3 games after the team turned it around and that was when he dropped off dramatically.

I know stats don’t tell the whole story but I am backing in Stewart to be back in the side this year and becoming a more complete player. I rate him.

I like Brown and was happy he was getting games but I think he’s depth.

2 Likes

Once Stewart had to become a key target instead of 3rd tall he couldn’t do it.

Leading patterns were poor, not resetting as required of fwd, getting beaten in contests too easily & not getting ball to ground for smalls.

Hence dropped for Brown who came in and did all those things consistently well.

Stewart plays like a tall HFF instead of a kpf, and its that which he needed to work on. His last quarter in that VFL final vs Tigers certainly showed he is progressing though and perhaps that’s happening at training again now.

But on last year’s form Brown easily trumps him

They are both behind JD though

3 Likes

And got sucked too far down the ground, we lost our forward structure.

3 Likes

I’m a pretty naive observer of modern footy but I reckon Brown is wingman. When he’s not being a swingman.

Reckon Brown is a better kick at goal and nailed some very nice shots.

In form and playing well both Stewart and Brown are very good players to have up forward. Add in McKernan and we have some excellent forward options to consider with Daniher and Stringer as our two tall forwards.

It’s whether Brown, Stewart and McKernan can maintain consistent form.

3 Likes

Stewart should pay on the wing where he can use his athleticism, skills and size advantage to maximum effect.

1 Like

Yet the stats don’t back that up.

Stewart has him covered for contested marks, marks inside 50, goals, goal assists and other important indicators.

I think Stewart was dealt with very harshly.

Of the two I expect Stewart has far improvement to come and in my opinion he’s ahead now.

Stewart, Ridley, Jok; how many tall wingmen Essendon have?

1 Like
1 Like

yet we’ll play down the corridor

1 Like

Why?
Stewart takes more marks and more contested marks than Stringer.

Makes a change from having 22 HBF’s.
Let’s see, Heppell, McGrath, Tippa, McKenna, Saad, also Ridley, Francis, Gleeson, Myers, Guelfi…

1 Like