Training 21/1/19

He did play on the wing for a while with Sandy… but also FF and FB that year.

1 Like

Good to see him taking after his old man.

1 Like

Stats are pointless in this instance given the differing roles. Look at his output in the games when he had to be a kpf instead of 3rd tall, and also consider how our fwd structure was functioning.

Coaches dropped him for a reason & didn’t get back in side as a result because Brown was doing what he wasn’t. Brown is a very smart player, and as a CHF being in our top few runners for kilometers each game an absolute work horse too.

5 Likes

I know stats don’t tell the whole story but neither does a coach dropping a player.

We all know that different coaches have different reasons for preferring one player to another.

I think Stewart had earned the right to be persisted with a little longer and who knows if given the opportunity whether he would have fixed the issues that they asked him to work on.

Most people on here wanted both Brown and Smack delisted only a year ago so I know how quickly things can change and I expect Stewart to rise again.

Don’t get me wrong, i really like him and i was excited when he started hot last season. But he kicked 5 goals from his last 7 games. That’s enough to get any tall forward dropped. Brown was just better.

2 Likes

Brown and Stewart are similar type of players (aerobically elite) although Stewart is 4.5 years younger and 3cm taller. Brown is a more reliable kick for goal, a more consistent performer and closely adheres to the game plan (doesn’t get lost looking for the pill). He’s my preferred player at this stage unless, Stewart can make the required adjustments to his game, then the younger / more dynamic player gets the gig.

1 Like

Brown played smarter.
In particular providing a very reliable option for the get-out kick down the line, coming out of defence.

That’s something we struggled with for several years. It might not be our preferred option for attacking, but all games have times where it’s the best option. Without it the ball just ricochets back in.

Admit Brown really surprised me with his ability to do this, and either mark, or pressure the ball over the line for a reset.
It’s actually my pick for the area Joey most needs to improve on, and Smack is better at a front & centre
contest in the forward line than this hard running positioning.

1 Like

Anyone else feel that Brown plays shorter than what he is? Hes 196cm and taller than both Jonathan Brown and Wayne Carey yet they seemed like they were towering in their forward lines.

Was training on today? No updates yet. Blitzers getting slack? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

He’s pretty slight. You’d fit two Browns into one Carey. And I imagine something like that’s probably happened at some point in the 90’s.

2 Likes

I dont reckon Stewart will make it long term, personally. Just dont think he’s good enough.

1 Like

The population is getting taller and so are footballers.

TD was 189cm or so, Brereton 186cm.
Medium height for a KPP was about 192cm when Carey started, it’s about 195cm now.

Regardless of height - Brown would’ve been skinny AF in either era.

Brown is one of flimsiest tall players I have ever seen. He can’t absorb any body contact and keep in the contest, either in the air or on the ground. Have you ever seen him lay a strong tackle?
In other respects he is good. He is smart, leads well and kicks well. But he just lacks enough physical strength to compete as a key position player.

1 Like

centre line : STEW-SHIEL-JOK

wont happen… of those 3, only Sheil will be in the midfield this year.

@nackers @MattPocock18 @Deckham and other training watchers - how has Brown looked this pre-season?

A post was split to a new topic: Training report - 2019-01-23 Wednesday

:roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

I vaguely remember the last straw with Stewart was the Richmond game. We couldn’t get the ball into our forward half because he offered nothing to link up play and we were crying out for someone to lead up and resulted in kicking to a wall of Richmond players.
Brown come in and his distance covered sums up what we were looking for.
Not sure if it’s laziness, fitness or footy iq with Stewart but when games get difficult to transition he struggles. He’s probably more sees himself/ suited as stay at home fwd but we’ve got players that are better overhead and stronger.

He’s no brute, but I really think you’re exaggerating it, by a factor of about 90,273,719.

He knows he’s best off in front and he rarely loses that front position. He’s just not able to take front spot by pure force, like Hooker or Hurley would.

1 Like