Training 23 April 2015

Great to have an in depth report. Thanks Karma.

im totally down on the Ambrose to the midfield idea, his clearance work and contested possession acumen is fantastic.

In fact, I think he is at best is a satisfactory forward, but he could be something special as a mid. In Jobes first few years he was played as a 3rd tall.

Thing is Patty has the tank now to move into the middle.

im totally down on the Ambrose to the midfield idea, his clearance work and contested possession acumen is fantastic.

In fact, I think he is at best is a satisfactory forward, but he could be something special as a mid. In Jobes first few years he was played as a 3rd tall.

Do you think Benfti he has the midfield smarts as yet or speed of kicking action to cut it in midfield yet… He has the tank, endurance and pace but he would get caught a few times as his ball drop with kicking is quite slow.

I see him as a cross between Myers and Stanton. Huge contested presence then able to get into space to create options. He was brought in through the forward line as it is a bit easier for someone with little experience. Once he gets a decent amount of centre bounce coaching he’ll start rotating through. Throwing him in as a ruck option has the added bonus of fast tracking his centre clearance work.

Do you think Benfti he has the midfield smarts as yet or speed of kicking action to cut it in midfield yet… He has the tank, endurance and pace but he would get caught a few times as his ball drop with kicking is quite slow.

He is quick enough with his hands. Thats all he needs in the beginning in close. Ive got no issue seeing stats of 5 kicks 15 handballs from him seeing as Im sure 10 of those possessions at least would be contested.

Ive watched him really closely since nab 2 and as a forward his running patterns are strong, but its not coming naturally to him. He may well be clearing out space and taking the 3rd tall defender out of Danihers way which is fine (i dont read Jimmys or Bombers structures as easily as I used to Knighters)

To me, and this does come from a lot of experience, he is a natural inside mid every day of the week.

Move him into the midfield rotation and bring in Langford.

It will make a 2 goal difference to the team. Ambrose will get more clearances and Langford will add at least the goal a game we are not getting from Patty, with Myers out this is a really good time to try it.

Ambrose isn’t the nimblest guy - he’ll need to run through every opposition midfielder just to get out of congestion.

He is quick enough with his hands. Thats all he needs in the beginning in close. Ive got no issue seeing stats of 5 kicks 15 handballs from him seeing as Im sure 10 of those possessions at least would be contested.

Ive watched him really closely since nab 2 and as a forward his running patterns are strong, but its not coming naturally to him. He may well be clearing out space and taking the 3rd tall defender out of Danihers way which is fine (i dont read Jimmys or Bombers structures as easily as I used to Knighters)

To me, and this does come from a lot of experience, he is a natural inside mid every day of the week.

It will make a 2 goal difference to the team. Ambrose will get more clearances and Langford will add at least the goal a game we are not getting from Patty, with Myers out this is a really good time to try it.

Definitely some merit to what you say benfti, especially if we get smashed in Clearances again tomorrow.

Ambrose isn't the nimblest guy - he'll need to run through every opposition midfielder just to get out of congestion.

and he can do that.

Ambrose isn't the nimblest guy - he'll need to run through every opposition midfielder just to get out of congestion.

Your point?
:slight_smile:

Yeh fair enough.

Ambrose is far far to slow, turning wise, to play midfield. They’d just jog it out.

Ambrose is far far to slow, turning wise, to play midfield. They'd just jog it out.
and Jobe Waston is Usain Bolt, and Joe Misiti was Linford Christie
Ambrose is far far to slow, turning wise, to play midfield. They'd just jog it out.
and Jobe Waston is Usain Bolt, and Joe Misiti was Linford Christie
In fairness he said turning wise, as in agility not speed.

I agree with lamaros, Watson is big but he is quick on his feet in terms of moving and changing tact (also his ability to regain his feet from the ground would be very good league wise). Ambrose has a turning circle like Courtney Johns, opposition players would just dance around him at stoppage situations unless everything went his way.

Ambrose the mack truck…loved how in the Hawks game in the setup where Hooker kicked the goal…Ambrose at the centre bounce came of the line and lined up Hodge and raised the elbow…he missed but loved the intent.

Would be handy tagger in the midfield imo. Would run opposition ragged.

Yep … fine with that.

I like the idea of Ambruise being in the centre for the occasional bounce in a similar vein to Roughy. But not as a full time role.

he is like a cm shorter than Hurley and Jobe.

I was one advocating for Ambo in the middle last year but he needs a season as a tagger to learn a few tricks first you’d think. Has the strength & engine for it but questionable for pace off the mark to get that separation from the contest and I now see he’s handballing is horrible. 2 very important attributes needed to make a good inside mid without bringing vision / creativity / lateral movement into the picture.
Let’s just leave him as a 3rd tall / HHF / leading type / occasionally line up for the centre bounce wrecking ball type.

he is like a cm shorter than Hurley and Jobe.

Apparent;y 5cm shorter than Jobe and 8cm shorter than Hurl Dawg. Apparently.

I was one advocating for Ambo in the middle last year but he needs a season as a tagger to learn a few tricks first you'd think. Has the strength & engine for it but questionable for pace off the mark to get that separation from the contest and I now see he's handballing is horrible. 2 very important attributes needed to make a good inside mid without bringing vision / creativity / lateral movement into the picture. Let's just leave him as a 3rd tall / HHF / leading type / occasionally line up for the centre bounce wrecking ball type.

In the case of Ambrose it seems they are pretty much creating a role to suit his strengths, not necessarily trying to fit him into one of the well defined positional roles.

I dont see the horrible handballs, Danny D. When you get the ball in contested situations it does lead to some bad handballs. As a matter of interest, in 2014, Ablett lead the competition in clangers !!