Training - 23rd April 2021

Popped down to training for 30min today to see the boys. There was a good vibe about the boys. Interestingly the first drill I saw was a structure set up drill where players had to get into the right positions as ball up and through ins. The interesting part was that some of the guys had little posted notes in their hand. I assume to reinforce to them where they should be setting up. A lot of learning still happening with the young group. I took the following notes on the players.

Absent/ Did not see

Shiel

Mozzie

Reid (I suspect he may be ill or away back home as he has not been at the club all week)

Modified minimal training –

Hurls – not doing much but good to see him moving okay

Draper – Still in moonboot, headed into the gyn

Clarke – slow warm up lap then got some massage on his lower leg, seems to be progressing very slowly

Gleeson – same as Hurls, not sure what injury he has

Modified some training

Caldwell – started with the main group and participate in structure set up drills before going onto the 2nd oval for running. 2-3 weeks away as outlined originally I think.

Baldwin – Big surprise for me, he started with the main group and did the structure drills, no hesitation in his movements. Would be shocked if he didn’t play footy in the 2nd half of the year. Not sure what his fitness base is like though. He is also a big boy, similar height to Hurls but very solid. Seems to have a bit of swagger about him too.

VFL squad

Waterman and Ridley (seems to have fully recovered) trained with the VFL squad when they split up. Phillips was also with them. McBride and Brand trained fully so hopefully they play this week in the VFL.

AFL squad

Zaka, Zerk and Stewart were all involved in the AFL squad when they split. Stewart is ready to go. Will be interesting if they bring him straight in. I counted 22 guys in the AFL squad so maybe Phillips comes in based on what Truck said in his presser.

So from the training group I can only assume that Rids, Reid and Waterman will be out and Zerk, Stewart, Zaka and Phillips come into the 23.

80 Likes

BIGG STUUZZAA IS BACK TO WORK!

9 Likes

Waterman should not be dropped

34 Likes

WanUnfitAsianporcupine-max-1mb

27 Likes

BIG BODIED BOY MID BALDWIN

5 Likes

Yeah - bloody stiff.

Thrilled to hear that Stewart will be back!

1 Like

Bringing Stewart straight in would be quite the departure from the so far conservative injury/rehab policy so far.

I suppose the only thing you could say is that he had a very good pre-season.

12 Likes

I bet Zaka is back for Anzac Day. :nauseated_face:

4 Likes

I hope waterman doesn’t get dropped.

The guy from what ive seen has been playing his role.

4 Likes

I love Waterman he will be a match winner for us. We can’t drop blokes who kick straight.

13 Likes

It was always going to be Waterman or Jones out if returning to a normal ruck + fwd/ruck structure.

Appears they may have chosen to keep the talls in place forward and perhaps take advantage of Pies backline now missing Moore & Howe.

Definitely be interesting if Stewart is straight back in, never would have expected that. If so they must have been flogging him on track. And he’s highly rated by coaches as immediate recall worthy.

Darcy Moore vs Darcy Moore 2.0 :crazy_face:

4 Likes

Grundy/Cameron combo probably requires a Phillips/Wright combo

Waterman ain’t helping in that regard

3 Likes

yeah we have to play somebody to help in the ruck that isn’t Langford or Stringer. We’ll get monstered otherwise.

1 Like

If Waterman is out it probs means we are playing with two rucks ie Wright and Phillips/Bryan

GET back to work STEWART

14 Likes

Grundy will destroy a Phillips/2MP combo.

Bryan would beat Grundy by himself, on one leg.

And you cannot convince me otherwise.

13 Likes

^This

Yucky changes. The future doesn’t lie with with plodders. Zaka, Stewart, 2MP reek of WOOSH. Hes back in Melbourne you know, maybe he gave Rutten some Yoda-like tips. Tips from the tea leaves.

@zakkkkkkkaaaaa hates Zaka…

6 Likes

Club still holds onto 2009

1 Like