Training 5/2/14

Training in balmy conditions at Benalla showgrounds.

Its a beautiful oval - large and well grassed and surrounded by trees.  Goal posts not up yet so the players had to make do with portable ones but otherwise an excellent venue.

You will know that about 90% of the universe is made up of dark matter and dark energy about which we know little and only about 10% is gasses, rocks, people etc.  Training is a bit like that as we glimpse and understand only a small percentage of the week's work in open training sessions and have to draw what conclusions we can from this limited information.  Never the less a number of observations can be made:

Firstly in the practice match match today the players were starting to look quite sharp and the passing by hand and by foot and the running to position were quite commendable today.  I get the impression that players are really trying to adhere to a plan and execute their skills with precision.

Secondly so much of training is about teaching and we would constantly see a passage of play leading to a forward thrust followed by a post mortem by the coaches with players in groups in the midfield and forward lines with many gestures and much arm waving to indicate the way the play should have gone and where players had to run to.

Thirdly there is much individual skills work - e.g. players taking running shots at goal from the forward pocket some times kicking on the full and other times trying to master leg breaks and off breaks to toll the ball through.  Steinberg, Dell and Hocking were among the players that handled this well.

- e.g. Neil Craig working with Edwards and Baguley to master the torpedo kick at goal.  Edwards' short and medium disposal is excellent but he can't consistently do good long torps yet but it is excellent that he is being taught the skill. 

Baguley is very good at this skill and gets the ball high in the air and spinning correctly.  I have noticed him having quite a bit of goal kicking practice in the pre season and wonder if we are going to see him playing forward at times.  Certainly he is being used as a key distributor of the ball out of the backline.

- e.g.  Ambrose practicing leading and marking at pace.  I have been a little critical of his goal kicking so far but today I thought he did better.

Then there are the mysteries.  Bomber had a long talk with Jetta today - at least fifteen minutes in my estimation with much arm emphasis by Bomber to indicate things he wanted Leroy to understand, possibly positioning and running but of course I don't really know.  The test of a coach is whether he can get the best out of individual players. In Jetta's case under Hird he spent a lot of time in the reserves but he is an immense talent which hopefully Bomber can tap.  My guess is that he is a very instinctive player who perhaps has problems following the game plan at times and this is what Bomber is trying to overcome.

I will conclude by saying that every time I go to training my eye is drawn to Joe Daniher.  He looks to be much improved and so much of the forward play seems to revolve around getting the ball to him that he is surely the pivot around which the forward line will revolve and he will be critical in bringing the other forwards into the play at his feet.  He will be hard to stop on a fast lead and is fitter and stronger than last year.  His goal kicking - well he is certainly working on it and should do better this year with his set shots which will in turn lift his confidence.

Great write up, Thanks Jackie.

Thanks Jackie, sounds like the boys are getting better with every training session!

Well done Jackie...love the detail you provide...almost makes me feel like I'm there.

Great stuff, cheers JM

Joementum…

awesome

thanks JM

Has Fantasia been training? if so do you have any observations. cheers

cheers for the great write up jackie, how is edwards looking? iv been trying to keep close tabs on how hes been progressing, how likely is he to play much senior footy this yr?

Has Fantasia been training? if so do you have any observations. cheers

Yes.  Not prominent yet. Pretty much last off the track today so working hard.

cheers for the great write up jackie, how is edwards looking? iv been trying to keep close tabs on how hes been progressing, how likely is he to play much senior footy this yr?

He has lovely disposal short and medium and moves with grace.  Was learning how to kick torps today.  Also prepared to dish off long handballs which float just a little bit but provide an effective link in play. 

Probably not but its a difficult question to answer at this stage of the year and a lot will depend on injuries.

He has lovely disposal short and medium and moves with grace.  Was learning how to kick torps today.  Also prepared to dish off long handballs which float just a little bit but provide an effective link in play. 

Probably not but its a difficult question to answer at this stage of the year and a lot will depend on injuries.

cheers thanks for that

Going to be interesting to see how Jetta responds…

Thanks again JM

Jackie, please an update on Dempsey? Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the report and the level of detail. 

Did Dalgleish train today? 

Baguley has been a standout on the track this pre season! 

Jetta is stringing together some solid sessions including last Fridays intra-club - i will be watching him with intrigue this friday! 

Didn't see him today but I may have missed him.  He has been on restricted training for some time as far as I can tell.

Thanks for the report and the level of detail. 

Did Dalgleish train today? 

Yes he did.

Didn't see him today but I may have missed him. He has been on restricted training for some time as far as I can tell.
Other blitzers have been saying the same in the past weeks, just wanted confirmation.
Hopefully he gets back in the main group ASAP and ready for rd 1.

I went over to Benalla today. It is an attractive ground and typical of a lot of country venues where the football ground is part of a complex with a number of other sporting organizations. Always a good place to watch Goulburn Valley football - it is the home of the Benalla Saints.

Conditions were perfect, as Jackie mentioned. Players were sharp and real coaching and teaching was taking place continually. There was a continual variety of activities and the coaching staff very much explaining what they wanted. At one stage Bomber was in the fwd line as the routines were practiced explaining how he wanted the other forwards to block and protect Joe Daniher as the ball was coming in and he was beginning to lead. I reckon Joe is still a stick compared to the others with a few more years under their belt (naturally). Hope he doesn’t get buffered out of the way - hence the importance of pace and space on the lead.

At the same time Fletcher was ‘instructing’, directing and encouraging the backs in an informal but knowledgable way.

I thought the talk generally among the players was positive and an indication that they know what to do and what they want others to do. Team game. Bomber occasionally urged players to use their voice more - “I want to hear you”. I felt from my observation and remarks by some of the staff that it was good session with plenty of enthusiasm shown by the players.

It was good to see a group from the local nursing home turn up to watch. Some of the elderly men were frail and not very spritely, but you could tell by the way they watched and followed that they knew and loved football. It is a game that has a great hold on us.

There was also a group from a local disability centre who got to watch an AFL team. Community activities like this have great benefits.

Thanks heaps JM. Don’t know what your fuel bill is, but appreciate the effort in providing a roving report. Hope you are recharged from your recent trip.