Training Feb 5th 2022

Did cox, zerk and Eyre train?

Cox did train. Looked like he is moving fine. Zerk and Eyre may have, but I don’t know what they look like.

5 Likes

I was there as well this morning. My standouts:

• Hobbs just wants to be in everything. Very much a kid who appears to not lack inner motivation. Everything he does is full throttle. In a centre square drill with the rest of the mids, he won the footy and shrugged off Caldwell like he was nothing, then gave a don’t argue and won the clearance. The boys were really up and about after that!

• Fejo v Wanganeen is a line-ball call for me. Both appear to have nice skills. With the news of Walla taking a leave of absence from footy you’d think one of those boys will be the SSP.

• Harry Jones was running laps without discomfort. Can’t imagine he’s too far away from joining in with full training.

• Francis looks really good. Still not sure if he will be the answer forward but he’s giving himself every chance to be a success in the role. Appears to be 100% locked in and engaged.

• 2MP impressed me. Not just his present up work but bought into the defensive aspects of the game. The forwards v defenders game he intercepted the defensive ball twice and caught Guelfi cold holding the ball, much to the latter’s disgust!

89 Likes

Hooksey’s smile makes it all the better.

17 Likes

Zerk and Eyre both absent

1 Like

They havn’t been there all week. Probably in iso.

Yeah I reckon

That’s encouraging - the ability to make time for yourself is something the best players have.

2 Likes

Just some notes to add:

Hope you can see my team defense videos above. Was a lot of emphasis on positioning with our senior mids to setup well. The blue team almost deliberately did switch kicks and chips kicks from their defensive end so our senior mids could practice their positioning. Coach would yell" squeeze them in boys" … almost saying a chip kick was success. Take them to the corners and reduce their ability to attack. Langford was quite vocal and at one point after a play said" thats not good enough guys… we got to work together better and get this right". Players responded.

What is impressing me is the determination to be excellent in everything they do. Hold each other accountable but they have a great balance of also having a lot of fun. I watched a simple kicking drill with Truck 10m away and the banter he was giving to the players was so funny. Players very much respect him and play for him. Players also gave banter back to him which he threatened senior game time back lol. Voices were loud and they want to do well.

Outside of that some players work loads being managed and i agree with comments on Wright. I reckon he may go to another level this year. His touch has been brilliant.

Sad news about Walla and i wish him a full recovery to being at peace. It probably puts more emphasis on Wanganeen and Fejo Jnr… my view is Tex is ahead.

Fun day but i did have to cop @nackers reminding me on my last training report that there is no such thing as 3 x Qtr’s… it three thirds. It was one of about 15 minor corrections made to me today lol. in all seriousness its fun to catch up with good people… have silly conversions and watch our favourite team look to head up the ladder.

Whispers: Francis is my smokey

90 Likes

Probs Scomo

6 Likes

@CJohns @nackers or other training watchers, what are your thoughts on Lord so far? I know it’s been mentioned that he’s been training forward at times. Has that been his main spot?
Is he any possibility of playing any 1’s this year as a small forward?

How is his level in comparison to Tex and Fejo?

1 Like

Similarly, how’s Hird been going, and is he training as a forward?

4 Likes

Great review again, seems like Francis and Hobbsy are real standouts so far this pre season.

Will be interested to hear more about our forward line setup from here, knowing that Tippa is out for the season, and how that forward line will set up and where the pace inside 50 will come from

1 Like
12 Likes

Lord for me is a really bright prospect but i sense we will see that come out in 2023. Yes he did play as a small forward in match practice which he hasn’t much at all. I wonder if that was a result of Walla news this week

9 Likes

Honestly I still feel he is our 35th-40th best player range. Just has limitations that i struggle to see breaking into best 25

3 Likes

@CJohns you deserve a medal for your reports and Q & A. Thank you

15 Likes

Showed real poise near goal on Thursday.

17 Likes

At least Lord will be easy to recognise playing in the hat.

7 Likes

I had a coach once who told a story about a bloke who was a beautiful mark, lovely kick and was fast. Trouble was he couldn’t play football. I saw Hird in the seconds last year twice live and a couple of times on Kayo. I reckon he will be a footballer. He tries as hard as his dad and at times showed glimpses where he instinctively read the the play like his dad almost always did.

12 Likes