Training Feb 5th 2022

I generally am optimistic. The point of difference this year, is we more or less will have a fit team with a good pre season behind them. Only a few guys who wont be available. Tippa, Hurley, Reid. Tippa is the big loss, as he is the best small forward we have. The other thing i like, is our midfield is stacked. In the past I think teams would put a tag on Merritt, and probably Parish late last year, and think they have us covered. But when you can rotate Stringer, Langers, Caldwell, Shiel, McGrath through there as well, it gives impressive depth. All the mid fielders have have solid pre seasons.

What I hope now is that the mid fielders can drift down and become goal kickers as well. If anything we lack this year, it will be forward half conversions. Still our weak spot. It we can get this right, then I think we can be an exceptional team

10 Likes

JFC man! This is all on you when it turns to ■■■■. YOU!

4 Likes

It is like this most years.

Saying that, last year was a bit more subdued as I think a lot of us had fairly low expectations. Not this year though. We’re going all the way!

1 Like

Hah. Touch wood then. Lets hope no one else picks up an injury. Think in previous years though. Always had someone who was coming off surgery. i.e. Heppell, Daniher, fanta, etc. Apart from Hurley, and Zac Reid, I think everyone will have a full pre season behind them. Maybe Jones if anyone will be a couple weeks behind.

1 Like

Hopefully Harry will be back to full training soon. We need him up and about.

2 Likes

Apologies btw to CJohns for not wandering over, and introducing myself. I was the guy parked in the chair, and walking about a metre every 5 seconds.

1 Like

Every year we have predictions of glory after we win the intra-club, and predictions of doom about the modified group. But overall, I think there is a bit more confidence this year than the past couple. Though I think the Tippa situation has taken the wind out of our sails a bit.

3 Likes

I don’t think that’s wrong, but I would say that at the start of last year in VFL he was struggling against everyone. There’s the bones of a footballer in there, he’s just still a way off.

4 Likes

It is like it every year.

The preseason is frequently overly optimistic from reports. But not always. And there have been offseasons where the watchers haven’t been impressed, but that’s rarer.

The word around the Club is that Leigh Tudor has wraps on ‘Brownlow’ :wink: Don’t be surprised if he makes a senior debut this season. :+1:t3:

3 Likes

Chris Doerre/Knightmare who writes for ESPN and has a youtube channel following the draft thought Lord was a real talent, he had him at 23 on his power rankings.

6 Likes

yep has gone from not looking like a footballer, just a skinny kid.
added size to frame, looked a midget in the VfL and pushed off ball easily, struggled to hold his own, but by the end of last year had turned it around, and i thought he was pretty good in 1-1’s plus the smart hird football knowledge to knock on ahead or to player in better position. It was the thinking ahead and faster than opposition that impressed me.

weakness: size, Strength, Speed
has been working on these, but these are also queries in making it to next level.

whether he turns into a good vfl player like Aaron Heppell it’s worth the experiment, he went from a lockdown vfl Backpocket to VFL club captain and goal kicking midfielder.

he just needs to work hard, perform in the VfL and in the track and with injuries he may get his chance.

but would be behind most on list as c johns alluded to.
Lord
Hobbs
Ham
Clarke (not on list yet, but get my point)
etc

For those interested i have done a full podcast on training to date. Head to Lunchtime Catch up thread.

14 Likes

Legend, can’t wait

Has Rance been at training lately or has he finished up with us now and starting his academy?

Any update on Waterman. Still looks a little peaked and leaking in definition.

2 Likes

Sorry. But is this going to be on the apple podcast app along with the normal show podcasts? That listening keeps me sane living in the states.

It’s on apple podcast. Listening now.

1 Like

Definitely leaking something

1 Like