Training Friday 12/12/14

Training in sunny conditions at Tullamarine. 
Karma Bomber has helped with this report.

Absent  Hird (possibly in Singapore) and Mark Harvey was the watcher on the balcony at training leaving a fairly relaxed session to be run by the other assistant coaches.

Absent in Colorado - Watson, Hibberd, Hooker and Hurley.
Absent Hams, Pears.
Running laps or on other modified training Carlisle, Aylett, Chapman, Brown and Hocking.

The players who had minor ankle injuries last week - Laverde and Gwilt both did full training today although LaVerde and Langford did goal kicking practice on the Clarke Oval in the second half of training which is not unusual for youngsters who do not train at the same intensity as established players.  Both of these players seem to be settling in well and opinion around the club is that they both have good height and skills and will benefit from developing stronger bodies.

Now for the good news I have been told that Nick Kommer will resume training in the first session after the Christmas break and in fact he could have trained today but decided not to risk it so close to the break.  I hope this information is correct as Nick has plenty of fans out there including myself.

If I was to compare this preseason to the last one under Bomber I would say that there is more emphasis on running and I was told that this was a feature of the sessions on Monday and Wednesday.

Karma Bomber  is pleased with the strong training form shown by Steinberg and it was mentioned to me that if he can develop a bit more self belief he could be a very handy player for us. I think he is vying with Gwilt to some extent.  I would say that Gwilt has the superior disposal and experience but Steinberg is developing nicely.

I paid particular attention to the rucks today who were receiving some tuition form Alessio. In the practice match drills it was pleasing to see Bellchambers moving freely and confidently. McKernan is quite a bit shorter but is a good overhead mark in the forward line but so far I am undecided on his kicking.

While on the subject of overhead marking I was surprised at Connor’s leap and he took a mini screamer during the practice match which was a weakness in Quinn’s game.  He seems extremely athletic and I thought he kicked well today.  He might be a surprise packet just like Long who trained extremely well today reading the play and creating space very effectively.  Looking back on it the club took a bit of a risk not taking him in the main draft and he looks a real bargain pick at this stage.

Of the established players Goodard and Myers were very vocal and quick to criticize sloppy play.  Bassett was taking forward line drills and although the theory was to move the ball quickly and directly into the forward line we both thought that the players fiddled around with the ball too much with many lateral passes around the fifty metre line to little advantage.  The short passes needed to go more directly to marking targets around thirty metres out or players running in towards the arc needed to back themselves with a long direct shot AT goal.  (I don’t like saying “shot on goal” which is the type of jargon drivel that Parkin is known for.)

It was a fairly low key session winding down for Christmas.  The list is looking good there is a lot to be pleased about.

So Belly is back in full training with the group?

He's the remaining piece of the puzzle IMO. Our backline is solid and dynamic. Our fwd line should explode this year. Our midfield has added pace and experience.

If Belly is hindered or injured and we have to rely heavily on Giles or McKernan (remains to be seen if they can carry the ruck load) then we could struggle a bit.

Yes he is

Anyone else have problems loading this?

.... with a long direct shot AT goal.  (I don't like saying "shot on goal" which is the type of jargon drivel that Parkin is known for.)

You speak the truth.  I believe it is derived from soccer, where it has a specific meaning.  It has been pushed into the AFL vocabulary even though it has no meaning in the AFL context, and I really hate it.

Anyway, thanks for the report!

emphasis on running = Hird

Thank you for this report. 

KOMMER!

That is all

Unrelated: Rolo this new comment box sucks :stuck_out_tongue:

Great report guys thanks

He's the remaining piece of the puzzle IMO. Our backline is solid and dynamic. Our fwd line should explode this year. Our midfield has added pace and experience.

If Belly is hindered or injured and we have to rely heavily on Giles or McKernan (remains to be seen if they can carry the ruck load) then we could struggle a bit.

Yes he is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKYxnbdPhyk

Thanks boys. It’s great to hear continued positive news about McKenna. 

giles did ok carrying the ruck load at gws didn’t he?

Thanks for the report guys.
Brilliant as per usual

Thanks Jackie. I’m in town next week and will try and get down for the big Xmas one

Laverde and Gwilt both did full training today although LaVerde and Langford did goal kicking practice on the Clarke Oval in the second half of training which is not unusual for youngsters who do not train at the same intensity as established players. 

Were they working with Lloyd?

No they weren’t just with an assistant coach. 

He still has the same injury.

He is running laps at a good pace and doing some kicking but not joining in match practice.

Hopefully he will be right after Christmas so I wouldn’t worry too much until then.

Laverde and Gwilt both did full training today although LaVerde and Langford did goal kicking practice on the Clarke Oval in the second half of training which is not unusual for youngsters who do not train at the same intensity as established players. 

Were they working with Lloyd?

How is Carlisle looking? 

Last week you mention he might be struggling with an injury?

great work again with the reports.

Yes he is

Anyone else have problems loading this?

Yeah, you can watch the interview at: http://www.essendonfc.com.au/video/2014-12-12/btv-tom-bellchambers-interview-december-12-2014

@Riolio have I screwed up or is youtube imbedding not working properly? 

Excited about the tbell talk

@Jezz looks to me like a screwup with Essendon’s youtube account.