Training Friday 16th December 2022

Who’s butterfly thigh?

Subi is no more…this pic is from 2019

5 Likes

If Martin dominated his wing, who was his direct opponent? (who was getting carved up?)

Said it years ago now, plant some proper wind break trees right around the ovals, put in a small grandstand on far side of main oval, put in a playground/area for the littluns.
Make the whole place more welcoming for Members and players and families and less gulagish.
Its not hard ffs.
Can someone move a motion at the AGM that all airconditioning and heating to offices in the hangar get turned off until they do something about it!

24 Likes

Looks better. That’s some spicy real estate, sorry WA for my neglect of your stadia welfare

1 Like

this was a good one liner CJ.

1 Like

The buildings at the top are a new school (used to be the car park)…there will be an oval for public use but the main development appears to be a number of residential towers.

1 Like

Former policy

2 Likes

there will be some protection once we build the grand stand for the fans

1 Like

Does Tsatas play round 1?

Essendon is listening……

26 Likes

53 Likes

Tsatas looks a bit like Goodwin in build

2 Likes

Any noticeble diffrence in how we play in the match sims ie; defending,moving the ball etc?

Yep, Tsatas had the ball. All the time. Everywhere.

*may not be true.

2 Likes

So… what if from all the available second tall types, Stewart has the best defensive pressure?

Fixed.

The practice match was multi-ball?!?

Giggity, indeed.

4 Likes

Thanks to @All-Star_Bomber_18 confirming the time of this morning’s session, I was able to attend and now provide some very rudimentary musings on what I saw.

It was a massive session on a bright and sunny - albeit quite windy - Friday. I arrived about 9:15 to find the warm up well underway, ensuring the session major did indeed start at 9:30. When I departed after match sim at approximately 12:00, the boys were beginning a fitness program with one group working near the hanger (I can’t say on what as I was driving out the main gate) and another completing hill runs near Melrose drive. Brutal, given the session was already close to three hours long!

Before I talk about specific players, some things I noted in general:

The focus on development is very real. There were lots of things going on, with multiple groups completing different drills that had unique aims. At each drill there were multiple coaches, all involved and seemingly on the same page with their instruction and feedback. During drills, they would routinely stop individuals to provide instant feedback on the relevant things being worked on. The focus seemed to be kicking centred, with creating space and hitting up the right option big parts. The timing of leads was being heavily coached. If players were even a second early on the lead they were stopped and ‘talked’ through what they should have done and how to ensure hitting the ball in the optimal manner. In addition, the players ‘hitting up’ the forwards were also given feedback on what they were doing in terms of ball trajectory and when to kick to or delay for the leading player. Based on this, I would hope to see a more functional forward line with clear and precise attempts to get into scoring positions.

There was also a lot of high intensity running included - clearly a response to the need for improved physical conditioning. I have often thought that our lack of defensive transition and run could be a result of simply not being fit enough. Those ‘poor’ chases we have seen over the years smack of players that can’t cover the ground, so hopefully an improved fitness base will alleviate some of our defensive issues (fingers crossed). Today, drills were often broken up by a series of ‘surge’ style runs, whether they be 100m-200m boundary runs or 50m shuttle runs using the centre square. They boys were certainly made to feel it today!

In terms of players, things I noticed include:

Baldwin - looks massive. Has a long way to go but seems to be moving well and competing hard. Was beaten in match sim by Zerk but worked hard and did plenty of team oriented things to help Voss get off the chain.
Bryan - somewhat modified or building tank?? Did plenty of running away from drills and match sim. Seems to be moving well but looks light on for a starting ruck role.
D’Ambrosio - he’s a smart little goer and his kicking is a level above. The wind made kicking a challenge but he routinely hit targets and has great control of kicking depth. Looks a real set up player behind the ball.
A.Davey Jnr - looks a classy operator. I see a lot of Shane Edwards in the way he goes about it. Quick and clean in congestion and smart with deft knock ons and taps. Kicks the ball beautifully - just need to get more and more comfortable at the level to be more involved. Played half forward rolling into the stoppage during match sim.
J.Davey - Plenty of running (at a good clip) and involved in some of the modified kicking drills. Plenty of goal kicking too - a couple of snaps from the wrong side were things of beauty. Looks a powerful build too, so expect to see speed and agility should his knee hold up.
Hayes - has a great frame for a key defender. Spent time on Wright during match sim and wasn’t out of place. Can see plenty to like in the way he goes about it.
Heppell - looks sharp. Wing and a bit forward in match sim. Seems to have gotten back that agile step that helped him despite his lack of straight line speed.
Hobbs - I love his mindset and attack on the ball and man. Kicking was off today, and he does need a bit more upper body size to be a full time inside mid.
Martin - wowee. Last year was amazing considering where he came from, but he was a smooth mover rather than a powerful one. His physicality looked next level today. Not in an aggressive, body smashing manner, but in a drive through / power out of congestion fashion. Dominated the match sim from a wing and looks to be doing whatever he can to avoid the second year blues.
Walla - an absolute class above with ball in hand and still has the power and agility to zip through tight confines. If he gets AFL fit it’ll be the Walla we know and love.
McGrath - really driving standards in the way he is running. Pushing between cones, leading surge runs. Looms as a really powerful two-way half back.
Munkara - didn’t participate much today - is clearly on a slow build. Did some running and so kicking (both with a coach and for goal). Taller than you think and a good physique. Kicks the ball with real class (almost exclusively on the left today).
Perkins - modified group today with plenty of running. Also involved in a three man group that did 1v1 goal square leads and hit ups (with Langford and Cox). Can say that he looks physically primed to assert himself. A little shorter than Langers, he has him covered for upper body size and has always had a powerful lower half. Looked powerful in the one on ones and on the lead. His overhead stuff was nice too. With more midfield exposure, and the heightened development focus, I can see him making big strides next year.
Redman - leadership personified. Organising the back half during match sim and not afraid to let team mates know when they let the zone down. Training like a man on a mission and looks powerful. The penny has certainly dropped and he won’t be a one season wonder.
Shiel - explosive in match sim and was winning clearances for fun. Looks in great nick.
Tsatas - he’s got great size already (could easily play round one) and will be a powerful unit in 24 months time. Moves like a genuine thoroughbred - that combination of power and grace that stands out even amongst a group of pro athletes. And he just finds the ball. Will rack them up wherever he plays because he’s so clean and reads it so well. Add to that his explosiveness and he’ll be a meters gained machine.
Weideman - I was impressed today. The doubt on him has always been his competitiveness, but in match him he was engaging early and protecting the drop zone. Took a few nice marks and moves well for a big man. In the ball movement drills he leads well and has pretty clean hands. A renewed focus on his development at a new club might be the trigger for cleaning up the areas of his game that has caused concern in the past. Cautiously optimistic as to what he may be for us.

That’s it as a stream of consciousness re-write. If you’ve got any questions, shoot and I’ll do my best to provide answers.

Go Dons!

192 Likes

Play him.

superb report

ditto for @CJohns

2022 training reports end on a massive high

17 Likes

Fantastic write up - thank you.
Any observations Re Setterfield?

14 Likes