Training Friday 21/11/14

Demps smashes off season :lol:

Training in mild, cloudy conditions on both ovals.
Colyer marks, unhesitatingly wheels and kicks to the Giles lead, mark, goal! That's a highlight I hope we see repeated many times in 2015. Colyer was outstanding today kicking a banana grubber from the boundary line and snapping a goal from a turnover fumble.
The mood today was upbeat and relaxed with the return of the Senior players although some were absent for the Irish game and among the others absent were Gleeson, O'Brien, Hocking and the Irishman. Kommer appeared right at the end of training looking very proppy and the club appears pretty tight lipped about his injury.
Myers and Carlisle ran laps deep in discussion and Tommy B also spent a lot of time running but all three looked pretty fit. Pears mainly did boxing steadily moving the trainer with the boxing pads backwards around the boundary as he slammed into his pads much to the admiration of the lady supporters sneaking covert glances at his biceps.
Talking of biceps Lloydy arrived towards the end of training with a long sticking plaster on his right forearm. Covering a tatt? (If he had a tatt what would it be.)
He took Joe aside for goal kicking practice Whitchurch was being filmed. Joe is bigger and stronger this year and I was told that he excelled in the running drills on Monday bringing a lot of the smaller players along with him as he led from the front.
The emphasis today was on quick ball movement using both full ground and half ground drills. Hardy took training on the smaller oval clad in a black track suit not deigning to wear a greens vest like his assistants. Fair enough he is the head coach. The battle between forwards and backs was intense with lots of talk and advice E.g. When the ball was coming into the forward line the defender was told "if your man's too dangerous step off him and cover the space" was the coach's advice and when Melsham failed to jump for a spoil a senior player pointed out his error in plain language.
Giles, Gwilt and Cooney all moved well which is encouraging. There is a problem however with rabbits disturbed by the construction at the rear of the complex moving onto greener pastures - the ovals. Ferrets may be required. This put me in mind of a player called Copping that we had in the early eighties. Tried to clear out a Warren on his farm by strapping explosives to a mixo rabbit expecting it to run back to it's burrow but it ran under his ute instead and blew it up.
Overall a good session today full of promise.

do I even need to ask?

You could do worse than have 4 Goddard clones on your team.

I'm Spartacus!!!

No, I'm Spartacus!!

No, I'm Spartacus!!

Thanks for the training report! 

Thanks for the report. How did Kav go?  Nothing special to report - like most players just went through the drills competently.

NOB was 100% training today

My mistake I didn't notice him.

Just found out Lloydy just had surgery on his arm it was a bandage.

Colyer marks, unhesitatingly wheels and kicks to the Giles lead, mark, goal! That's a highlight I hope we see repeated many times in 2015. Colyer was outstanding today kicking a banana grubber from the boundary line and snapping a goal from a turnover fumble.
The mood today was upbeat and relaxed with the return of the Senior players although some were absent for the Irish game and among the others absent were Gleeson, O'Brien, Hocking and the Irishman. Kommer appeared right at the end of training looking very proppy and the club appears pretty tight lipped about his injury.
Myers and Carlisle ran laps deep in discussion and Tommy B also spent a lot of time running but all three looked pretty fit. Pears mainly did boxing steadily moving the trainer with the boxing pads backwards around the boundary as he slammed into his pads much to the admiration of the lady supporters sneaking covert glances at his biceps.
Talking of biceps Lloydy arrived towards the end of training with a long sticking plaster on his right forearm. Covering a tatt? (If he had a tatt what would it be.)
He took Joe aside for goal kicking practice Whitchurch was being filmed. Joe is bigger and stronger this year and I was told that he excelled in the running drills on Monday bringing a lot of the smaller players along with him as he led from the front.
The emphasis today was on quick ball movement using both full ground and half ground drills. Hardy took training on the smaller oval clad in a black track suit not deigning to wear a greens vest like his assistants. Fair enough he is the head coach. The battle between forwards and backs was intense with lots of talk and advice E.g. When the ball was coming into the forward line the defender was told "if your man's too dangerous step off him and cover the space" was the coach's advice and when Melsham failed to jump for a spoil a senior player pointed out his error in plain language.
Giles, Gwilt and Cooney all moved well which is encouraging. There is a problem however with rabbits disturbed by the construction at the rear of the complex moving onto greener pastures - the ovals. Ferrets may be required. This put me in mind of a player called Copping that we had in the early eighties. Tried to clear out a Warren on his farm by strapping explosives to a mixo rabbit expecting it to run back to it's burrow but it ran under his ute instead and blew it up.

do I even need to ask?

201421_Tippa.jpg

loving this report about Colyer

do I even need to ask?

201421_Tippa.jpg

worked extensively with Long and Craig at the end.

TIPPA!!!

Really hope he can work his way onto the list.

Wonneamirri was fkn exciting when he played at the Dees and you just get the feeling he may have a similar impact, although not with the injuries and short career!

It's a LONG way to TIPPArary.

looks like Goddard started out pale, and got more and more tanned as the session went on

I had to get the ferret man in yesterday.

Big-Lebowski_l.jpg

That's a Ferret man  ... or was it a "pole" cat?

Carlisle seemed to be on an amended program. well running laps and kick to kick with myers.
Also swear Mckenna was out there.
anyone know who that really tall skinny guy was?

Could it have been Tagliabue? I know he's on the permission to train list.
Wasn't he a bit more solid than a pole?

Still only young. Not many 21-ish year old ruckmen are built like tanks.

23 I think. 24 in Feb.
Assuming Google's telling the truth.

Lol, Stephen Copping. Brings back memories.

Small forward from the Bays. Like many of the SA players to play VFL in that era, should have made the switch earlier.

I also managed to drop into training this morning so thought I would add some random thoughts on what I personally noticed:

Firstly I also was planning on talking Colyer up. As well as the goals Jackie described, earlier when he was on the McCraken Oval he kicked a great goal on the run from 45m out on tight angle. His confidence appears to be really high.

Overall I was quite impressed with most of training, players seemed to be in a good mood and switched on. I was happy too that in a lot of the drills they would finish the play off kicking at goal, in previous times I've been to training they have not done that and I've never liked it. Overall from what I saw their accuracy was fairly high.

In the general drills JoeDan kicked some good goals on the run. However later when Matt Lloyd spend a fair bit of time with JoeDan having set shots at goal his accuracy was a bit hit and miss. This was under far more pressure than earlier, the video camera was from the angle of the man on the mark and he had Lloyd and 3 or 4 trainers scrutinising every little movement.

I am impressed with Nathan Bassett as a coach, he seems to have a lot of input during training and actually providing a fair amount of teaching to various individuals.    

Funniest moment for mine was when Licka gave some friendly ribbing to Jonathan Giles. I can't remember the exact words said, but after Giles had taken a mark and kicked a goal which Licka effectively said "Great work Giles it's like he is back at Canberra! Well the crowd would have been about the same size hey? Giles, he dominates in the orange!" (Players were wearing orange training bibs at the time)

Jake Long's skills looked fine the few times I looked at him, I did however at one stage later on notice that he looked exhausted after a drill. Tippa made a good tackle, and didn't look out of place although I must qualify that I did not keep that close an eye on him.

Loved some of Gwilt's kicks which were long and accurate. Heppell quite vocal on the McCraken Oval when the players were split between the two ovals. A definite leader out on, although that's hardly ground breaking news!

At the end of the training session Edwards stayed out for extra practice with two trainers (Crow and one other) while Neeld looked on. Essentially Edwards kept running between the two trainers while they threw a footy at him or near him and he kept on running back and forth handballing back or kicking for goal. It seemed like the purpose was to build up his endurance as he did this for about 7 minutes straight and hardly had a breather.

I also thought I saw Coner McKenna out on there, and did not see Baguley. 

Hahahaha! Did that really happen?

Cracked up. 

Never heard that story before, but l can believe it. Copping was a fave. l saw him kick 5 goals in a quarter at Windy Hill one day to win a game for us by half time.  

Never heard that story before, but l can believe it. Copping was a fave. l saw him kick 5 goals in a quarter at Windy Hill one day to win a game for us by half time.  

This game?

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1983/050719830430.html

Hahahaha! Did that really happen?
Cracked up.
The story sounds like an urban legend, but might be true. Something similar happened with the soviets during WWII with dogs and tanks. They traied the dogs to run under the tanks with bombs to blow up, but when they sent them out because the dogs had been training with old Soviet tanks they turned around, ran back through the lines and blew up the Soviet tanks.