Training Friday 21/11/14

I also managed to drop into training this morning so thought I would add some random thoughts on what I personally noticed:

Firstly I also was planning on talking Colyer up. As well as the goals Jackie described, earlier when he was on the McCraken Oval he kicked a great goal on the run from 45m out on tight angle. His confidence appears to be really high.

Overall I was quite impressed with most of training, players seemed to be in a good mood and switched on. I was happy too that in a lot of the drills they would finish the play off kicking at goal, in previous times I've been to training they have not done that and I've never liked it. Overall from what I saw their accuracy was fairly high.

In the general drills JoeDan kicked some good goals on the run. However later when Matt Lloyd spend a fair bit of time with JoeDan having set shots at goal his accuracy was a bit hit and miss. This was under far more pressure than earlier, the video camera was from the angle of the man on the mark and he had Lloyd and 3 or 4 trainers scrutinising every little movement.

I am impressed with Nathan Bassett as a coach, he seems to have a lot of input during training and actually providing a fair amount of teaching to various individuals.    

Funniest moment for mine was when Licka gave some friendly ribbing to Jonathan Giles. I can't remember the exact words said, but after Giles had taken a mark and kicked a goal which Licka effectively said "Great work Giles it's like he is back at Canberra! Well the crowd would have been about the same size hey? Giles, he dominates in the orange!" (Players were wearing orange training bibs at the time)

Jake Long's skills looked fine the few times I looked at him, I did however at one stage later on notice that he looked exhausted after a drill. Tippa made a good tackle, and didn't look out of place although I must qualify that I did not keep that close an eye on him.

Loved some of Gwilt's kicks which were long and accurate. Heppell quite vocal on the McCraken Oval when the players were split between the two ovals. A definite leader out on, although that's hardly ground breaking news!

At the end of the training session Edwards stayed out for extra practice with two trainers (Crow and one other) while Neeld looked on. Essentially Edwards kept running between the two trainers while they threw a footy at him or near him and he kept on running back and forth handballing back or kicking for goal. It seemed like the purpose was to build up his endurance as he did this for about 7 minutes straight and hardly had a breather.

I also thought I saw Coner McKenna out on there, and did not see Baguley. 

Good report - thank you.  When they train on two ovals at once you can't see everything that happens so it's good to get several different viewpoints. The Edwards report was interesting I saw him do some terrific work around goals at training last pre-season and was a but surprised he didn't get a game as most of the newcomers did.  If Hird can get the best out of him he could be a bit of a joker in the pack.

Giles, Gwilt and Cooney all moved well which is encouraging. There is a problem however with rabbits disturbed by the construction at the rear of the complex moving onto greener pastures - the ovals. Ferrets may be required. This put me in mind of a player called Copping that we had in the early eighties. Tried to clear out a Warren on his farm by strapping explosives to a mixo rabbit expecting it to run back to it's burrow but it ran under his ute instead and blew it up.

Hahahaha! Did that really happen?

Cracked up.

Never heard that story before, but l can believe it. Copping was a fave. l saw him kick 5 goals in a quarter at Windy Hill one day to win a game for us by half time.

The story sounds like an urban legend, but might be true. Something similar happened with the soviets during WWII with dogs and tanks. They traied the dogs to run under the tanks with bombs to blow up, but when they sent them out because the dogs had been training with old Soviet tanks they turned around, ran back through the lines and blew up the Soviet tanks.

Copping had exceptionally long arms and marked everything but couldn't kick more than about 40 metres.  He was from a farm in South Australia so I think the story could be true - on the other hand I think it was Terry Daniher who told me the story.

Giles, Gwilt and Cooney all moved well which is encouraging. There is a problem however with rabbits disturbed by the construction at the rear of the complex moving onto greener pastures - the ovals. Ferrets may be required. This put me in mind of a player called Copping that we had in the early eighties. Tried to clear out a Warren on his farm by strapping explosives to a mixo rabbit expecting it to run back to it's burrow but it ran under his ute instead and blew it up.

Hahahaha! Did that really happen?
Cracked up.
Never heard that story before, but l can believe it. Copping was a fave. l saw him kick 5 goals in a quarter at Windy Hill one day to win a game for us by half time.
The story sounds like an urban legend, but might be true. Something similar happened with the soviets during WWII with dogs and tanks. They traied the dogs to run under the tanks with bombs to blow up, but when they sent them out because the dogs had been training with old Soviet tanks they turned around, ran back through the lines and blew up the Soviet tanks.
Copping had exceptionally long arms and marked everything but couldn't kick more than about 40 metres. He was from a farm in South Australia so I think the story could be true - on the other hand I think it was Terry Daniher who told me the story.

The long arms was my memory of him also.
Didn't he go on to be the Sydney ruck coach or something? (or am I getting Hi confused with someone else?)

Awesome work everyone, This is why Blitz is the best club website in the world.

Tippa made a good tackle, and didn't look out of place although I must qualify that I did not keep that close an eye on him.

I also thought I saw Coner McKenna out on there, 

Priorities straight or ban

Tippa made a good tackle, and didn't look out of place although I must qualify that I did not keep that close an eye on him.

I also thought I saw Coner McKenna out on there, 

tippa kiced a superb set shot and Craig David was like

'BEAUTIFUL SHOT MAGNIFICANT AWESOME SPLOOOOGE TIIIPPPPPAAAAA SUCK **** BEN IM HAVING A KICK WITH TIPPA'

I also thought I saw Coner McKenna out on there,

He was wearing a number 29 training top left over from last year and the build up of emotions just became too much for me to bear, I'm sure you can understand ;)

Great work everyone

:)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)

That's a crack up too. How many of them with Goddard's jumper on?

Considering he has a cleanliness OCD, is over in Perth. He'll freak out when he gets back to a locker full of sweaty jumpers. Bet they're all waiting for the reaction.

Considering he has a cleanliness OCD, is over in Perth. He'll freak out when he gets back to a locker full of sweaty jumpers. Bet they're all waiting for the reaction.

That was my thinking also.

One thing to add to the other reports, I was also at training on Friday watching the senior players first up and noticed Chappy was very vocal with instructions in a match simulation while Hirdy was at the other end of the ground. IMO, Chappy's experience is priceless for our club at this point in time.

Great reports. I love the preseason … hope springs eternal. I’m looking forward to seeing our A team out on the park against Sydney. Would not be surprised if James Gwilt got a guernsey. Who else is going? I bought three Jetstar tix MEL-SYD return for about $420 total, leaving Saturday morning back Sunday night. Get on it!!

And the Stevie Copping memories. The guy was under 6 foot but his arms hung down to his knees. Big 70s tash if I remember correctly.

That was my thinking also.

One thing to add to the other reports, I was also at training on Friday watching the senior players first up and noticed Chappy was very vocal with instructions in a match simulation while Hirdy was at the other end of the ground. IMO, Chappy's experience is priceless for our club at this point in time.

watson, goddard and fletcher away for the round ball game... Chappy most experience out of our senior players and is seen as a future coach. so hopefully he sticks around in a development role after he retires