Training Friday 23/1/15

A reply to: @jackie mihocek regarding QuoteLink

A reply to: @jackie mihocek regarding QuoteLink
Quoted Post
How did Cooney do, JM?

As mentioned Cooney was among the best.

He oozes class. Lovin this . Thanks for the report Jackie. Maybe see you Monday ?

Having Monday off Chris - looking forward to reading your report.

Cool Jackie, I will disconnect from my bandwagons and try to be objective. I try to organise my work assignments at the Airport for Fridays, so maybe see you out there sometime in 2015.

Sounds like Bellcho is having a ripper pre-season. Must be loving the extra responsibility and opportunity with Ryder gone.

Bellcho is looking in great condition. In the BTV vids he looks to have leaned out and is now starting to harden up. He is a big unit and a fit and firing Tommy will be a massive up for us.

Can’t wait to see the Port game and the Bellcho v Ryder contest.

Oh yeah and another round of Bags smashing Monfries.

A reply to: @chris_64 regarding QuoteLink

A reply to: @David J Richardson regarding QuoteLink
See youse all Monday!
So DJR will you be the guy with a glass high in his right hand, in a grey suit , with the shirt hanging out, and somehting yellow in his left hand ? If you are I will easily pick you out man.

The legs (and everything else, except the hair on my head) have filled out a bit since then.

The yellow thing is a footy. I try to be relevant as well as irreverent.

Quoted Post

A reply to: @wannabe regarding QuoteLink
Oh FFS, how "slow" do people think Ambrose is? He wins the 2km trials, he wins the 400m trials. I guarantee you if the 30 odd blokes did a 20m sprint you would probably struggle to pick who came first and last because the results would be bunched that close together.

I hope opposition coaches are reading this and put ‘slow’ defenders on him because he’s so ‘slow’.

He is slow as a wet week and if you disagree you are wrong

Lol. .

A reply to: @chris_64 regarding QuoteLink
See youse all Monday!
So DJR will you be the guy with a glass high in his right hand, in a grey suit , with the shirt hanging out, and somehting yellow in his left hand ? If you are I will easily pick you out man.

The legs (and everything else, except the hair on my head) have filled out a bit since then.

The yellow thing is a footy. I try to be relevant as well as irreverent.

Yes well I am the same height and weight as Hurls, but I have skin folds, and lots of them

Quoted Post

Thank JM.

I wouldn’t worry about the negative motivation technique. When i played footy I loved that kind off stuff. It’s great laugh and good for moral. You can give a bit of cheek as well if they miss.

I use it on my under 12 kids now and they all laugh.

Just food for thought ant, I’ve just completed lev 1 FA coaching in London (soccer) and their program here is very anti ‘negative consequence’ or criticism such as ‘punishment for missing a target’ etc. They say it kills confidence as kids become too afraid of failure to try the difficult and often brilliant but instead become great at being ordinary or going the ordinary option. I laughed at their ideology early in the course because I had done countless push-ups in my training days not to mention been yelled at for the whole 2 hr training sessions but I began to understand as the course progressed and it does makes perfect sense.
While now, I will never use ‘negative consequence/criticism’ should I coach kids one day, I’m 50/50 on Hirdy using it too. Sure, do it to the men such as Chappy, Jobe etc. for a laugh but not the kids. I don’t want to see Joe or Langford clunking a mark ‘at the highest point’ on the 50m arc to then first look for a pass option because his too scared to have a go & miss. I want the arrogance of JoeDan to clunk the mark and then walk back with the ball tucked under his arm without even looking back for someone making a lead & just line up & slot it home!

Th Quoted Post

I hope opposition coaches are reading this and put ‘slow’ defenders on him because he’s so ‘slow’.

They were about to until they read your post

A reply to: @DannyD regarding QuoteLink

Quoted Post
Thank JM.

I wouldn’t worry about the negative motivation technique. When i played footy I loved that kind off stuff. It’s great laugh and good for moral. You can give a bit of cheek as well if they miss.

I use it on my under 12 kids now and they all laugh.

Just food for thought ant, I’ve just completed lev 1 FA coaching in London (soccer) and their program here is very anti ‘negative consequence’ or criticism such as ‘punishment for missing a target’ etc. They say it kills confidence as kids become too afraid of failure to try the difficult and often brilliant but instead become great at being ordinary or going the ordinary option. I laughed at their ideology early in the course because I had done countless push-ups in my training days not to mention been yelled at for the whole 2 hr training sessions but I began to understand as the course progressed and it does makes perfect sense.
While now, I will never use ‘negative consequence/criticism’ should I coach kids one day, I’m 50/50 on Hirdy using it too. Sure, do it to the men such as Chappy, Jobe etc. for a laugh but not the kids. I don’t want to see Joe or Langford clunking a mark ‘at the highest point’ on the 50m arc to then first look for a pass option because his too scared to have a go & miss. I want the arrogance of JoeDan to clunk the mark and then walk back with the ball tucked under his arm without even looking back for someone making a lead & just line up & slot it home!

I think what Hirdy is teaching young Daniher is that there is a consequence for making mistakes, even in practice games.

Otherwise, mediocrity sets in as firstly small failures, gradually growing to ever larger failures, become tolerated and considered “normal”.

This is what mediocrity looks like.

And we have be mediocre for too long.

All power to Hird, Harvey & the coaching staff for trying to get us to rise above mediocrity and double-power to them for working to ensure one of youngest & brightest prospects doesn’t start his career on a mediocre footing.

That’s the point I was making though, if Joey feels that there is a consequence for missing, his going to go the easy or average option rather than the brilliant or most rewarding and never reach his full potential.
Push ups will teach them diddly squat.
Do you think Joey wanted to miss those shots? Do you think he wants to miss in front of 80,000 people? You simply make it worse by having ‘consequences’.

And yes your right, “all power to Hird, Harvey & the coaching staff”… by employing Lloydy, that is an example of making us rise above mediocrity not doing push ups.

JD Zerret etc, aren’t “kids”. They’re young men, & seriously, this would be done in a spirit of jest, but also tests young Joey by putting him under just a touch of pressure, & helps to focus the mind to the task.

Sorry BD but young adults who are 20/21 are still very much kids.

I’m all for it, the on.y way it could backfire IMO is if the boys weren’t supportive of him and started slagging him off because of the extra laps/push-ups.

It’s hard to concentrate on a skill when you absolutely must execute it, and it’s pretty hard to mimic that pressure.

Also, sometimes in games things just don’t go your way, and ■■■■ gets a lot harder. Injuries, bad umpiring decisions, bad preparation, head cold, wind changes, forced to play out of position, clangers, turnovers, you need to suck it up. 50 push-ups is nothing for these guys.

Quoted Post

100% correct

Perhaps even up to the age of 23/24, there is sooo much more for these young men to experience especially as they’re in the little bubble that is football.

Quoted Post

I hear what you’re saying, but he’s talking a junior coaching course, for like 12 & under.

You know, the modern PC way where everyone wins a prize? Down here they dont even keep score for the under 11’s (I think) & below.

The 50 push up’s thing is harmless. I believe it’s the 2nd time Hirdy’s played it from reports, & Joe is 1 & 1 IIRC.

It will be an ongoing occasional thing, & very much simulates a match day reaction scenario, with his team mates being rapt if he snags it, & disappointed in a miss, but less so than in an actual game.
One of the only, & easiest ways to replicate the feelings & the consequence as someone said.

I reckon a kid like Daniher is competitive as f*** but for others it won’t work.

The thing you learn about coaching is to play each man differently to get the best out of them. I’d say Hird (as would every coach in the AFL) would know that and coach accordingly.

I don’t have a strong opinion one way or the other but Goddard missed a few goals last year would be interesting to see if Hird put him under the same pressure. Perhaps it might look better if the tactic was spread around a bit rather than making Joe the sole recipient.

I understand what you are trying to say and I agree with what you are saying re Hird.

I think this generation is very precious in the criticism and feedback that they receive.

But adults are still kids at least until 25ish and some don’t ever grow up which is a scary thing. Just because you are given a title, doesn’t mean that is what you actually are, as young adults prove all the time.

I reckon Hirdy and Harvs know what they are doing.

Come on, its a footy club. These guys are all in it together. We know they are a really tight supportive bunch of guys. Dont let it worry you.

He’s a freakin’ Daniher.

Get over yourselves.