Training Friday 23/1/15

Quoted Post

A reply to: @Nocturnal regarding QuoteLink
If I had to guess I would say his first 10-20 is very quick but his top speed is not as high as the speedsters.
Other way around I think. He's pretty good over ~400 but his 20m is rubbish. He definitely makes a fair bit too much space through a match to be uber-slow, but he doesn't burn blokes off either. I suspect he's slightly slower than average, depending on the distance.

He always seems to have a small but handy separation from his player. So I agree he can’t be slow.

I remember a couple of instances during games where the ball fell from the marking contest he gathered and quickly and created a 2-3m seperationon on everyone. However Zaka on one occasion, called for the handball and burned everybody off. Could also be an element of quick thinking and anticipation too.

I guess from the above why I think he has a powerful first few steps but limited top end speed. Which, because of his fitness, he can maintain for long runs and again create seperation later.

But then again I could be completely wrong!! Hard to tell.

Whilst Langford is skinny up top, he seems really solid in his legs.

I think he’s gonna suprise, to convincingly beat Hibbo is no mean feat.

Excitement.

only games ambrose will miss is through injury if any.

Can anyone comment how Long, Laverde, Langford & Mckenna went in the repeat 400ms, interesting to see how quick their tanks are bulilding, its great they are injury free during their first preseason.

Is it possible for Ambrose to play a midfield & forward role in 2015?

ambroses running strengths sound like stanton - can run all day but won’t win a 20m or 100m sprint.

we need ambrose working his opponent over continual leading and players using him, as on option for this to be effective.

alternatively if Hocking got injured you would consider ambrose for a tagging role, unless it was on a super quick mid ie dangerfield…and he can run fprward and create an option forward. its always good for taggers to kick a goal or two.

Ambrose is good when he gets the ball. He kicks straight, passes and handballs well . Last year his role was to play the man and keep the ball in the forward line, so he did not often try to find space, which is the way a lot of players get the ball in the forward line. He needs to win more of his own ball and be given license to run off his man more.

See youse all Monday!

I remember watching Langford’s highlights vid when we first picked him up. Instantly reminded me a lot of Gunston

Now that he’s playing in the fwd line at training and matching him up on Hibbo, I reckon the club thinks similar. Very excited to see how he develops and what he can do on the field during the NAB comp.

Sounds like Bellcho is having a ripper pre-season. Must be loving the extra responsibility and opportunity with Ryder gone.

Im excited by all of these reports on the young blokes, good job guys.

Cant wait till the pre-season matches start…Just hurry up!

Ground and surrounds in resplendent condition with a moderate NE breeze making for the perfect morning at training.

Yes, older players all look the goods. Winders, Coondog, Jobe, Stants, BJ, Fletch and Chappy all leading from the front and backing it up in match simulation.

Of the youngens looking to crack into the best 22 - Langford and KAV! are speaking the loudest at this particular juncture.

Langford’s versatility, pace and strong hands make him the best 3rd tall prospect we’ve had in a long time.
Modelling his game on Gunston’s is showing even at these incredibly early stages.
Seems to have a good footy brain to match his physique. If you haven’t done so already, get on his bandwagon.

KAV! - For the 2nd week in a row, played mainly on the wing and head to head with Stants. His aggression / defensive work was applauded by teammates on several occasions and his handball chops were strong as usual. Seems to have turned some sort of confidence corner, though there’s a long time until April!

As mentioned elsewhere, Melk won’t die wondering, his intensity was mega. Whether or not that intensity can translate to quality football remains to be seen.

PS- Laverde got up a mile in the last play of the match sim. Has a ridiculous leap on him. Dare say he’ll have a sizeable highlight reel of speckies by the end of his career.

PPS- A special mention goes to Long for attempting to rag doll T-Bell. Who weighs about 30kg more than him.

PPPS- T-Bell caned Giles and McKernan, Looks in smashing shape.

Watching the match simulation really does show what a headfark it’ll be at selection this year, so many possible permutations.
Can’t begin to imagine how hectic the Best 22 thread is gonna get post NAB challenge

A reply to: @Houli Dooli regarding QuoteLink

Can anyone comment how Long, Laverde, Langford & Mckenna went in the repeat 400ms, interesting to see how quick their tanks are bulilding, its great they are injury free during their first preseason.

Is it possible for Ambrose to play a midfield & forward role in 2015?

ambroses running strengths sound like stanton - can run all day but won’t win a 20m or 100m sprint.

we need ambrose working his opponent over continual leading and players using him, as on option for this to be effective.

alternatively if Hocking got injured you would consider ambrose for a tagging role, unless it was on a super quick mid ie dangerfield…and he can run fprward and create an option forward. its always good for taggers to kick a goal or two.

Long and McKenna were hanging on for dear life in the 400 repeats but did ok. Don’t actually recall Langford or Laverde doing the 400’s. Probably trying not to kill them. Ambrose absolutely smashed it. I was at about the 360 mark and he was cruising each time with Stants about 10m behind him. Zaka was in with the guns and was struggling to keep up. Winders and Melksham also stood out

They seemed to put groups together that are of similar running ability. Fletch Hooker Giles McKernan etc in the last group

Not everyone did the 400’s

A reply to: @crumbs regarding QuoteLink

I'd be wary of writing Ambrose off as he can be anything. I'm a big fan. And i'm probably wrong in assuming he and Langford are vying for the same position but Langford plays a style of forward we are lacking. That 2nd/3rd forward that can pop up and kick a bag...He seems like a versatile tall with great hands/kicking action and fast enough to defend..I think he will play more games because he just seems really comfortable already.

I think they are Vying for the same spot.

FWIW Big Joe is going to smash it this year. Smooth mover now is Joe

A reply to: @David J Richardson regarding QuoteLink

See youse all Monday!
So DJR will you be the guy with a glass high in his right hand, in a grey suit , with the shirt hanging out, and somehting yellow in his left hand ? If you are I will easily pick you out man.

A reply to: @Bombers08 regarding QuoteLink

I remember watching Langford's highlights vid when we first picked him up. Instantly reminded me a lot of Gunston

Now that he’s playing in the fwd line at training and matching him up on Hibbo, I reckon the club thinks similar. Very excited to see how he develops and what he can do on the field during the NAB comp.

Put a draftee player on one of your top players, see if he’s got the right stuff and fast tracks him to AFL level. Bonus.

A reply to: @mrjez regarding QuoteLink

Sounds like Bellcho is having a ripper pre-season. Must be loving the extra responsibility and opportunity with Ryder gone.

Focussed on footy these days !

A reply to: @chris_64 regarding QuoteLink

instead of his injuries?

A reply to: @jackie mihocek regarding QuoteLink
Quoted Post
How did Cooney do, JM?

As mentioned Cooney was among the best.

He oozes class. Lovin this . Thanks for the report Jackie. Maybe see you Monday ?

Having Monday off Chris - looking forward to reading your report.

A reply to: @Bombers08 regarding QuoteLink
I remember watching Langford's highlights vid when we first picked him up. Instantly reminded me a lot of Gunston

Put a draftee player on one of your top players, see if he’s got the right stuff and fast tracks him to AFL level. Bonus.

Yep.

Test him out against our gun backman. Fast-tracks his progress. This match simulation is a definite advantage too.

A reply to: @alex.f.94 regarding QuoteLink

instead of his injuries?

Hah, remember who his significant other was last year ?