Training Friday 27/2/15

Training in mild overcast conditions on the McCracken Oval.

Top up players present but no Tippa who is off the Christmas card list after putting Zaka into the modified group with his (fair) strong tackle last week. As well as Zaka and the usual suspects Hams, Bellchambers, Fantasia, LaVerde and Myers were modified or missing today.

As the preseason edges towards its conclusion training lightened off today following a very solid three week block. Less match play and heavy tackling and no punishing 500 metre runs. The merits of the Colorado experiment have been much debated in the past and I would have to say that they don’t seem any less fit this year from not going and the four who did attend - Hurley, Hooker, Hibberd and Watson don’t seem any fitter or less fit than the others. Whether this definitively answers the question of the value of Colorado you can judge for yourself. Certainly the club is better off financially.

The coach’s emphasis today was on quick decision making, quick ball movement and running to out number with the goal of the “extra” player at the contest getting possession and using it effectively. This was further emphasised by drills at the end of the day where 5 forwards competed with 6 defenders. At times this worked well but it is very dependent on good talking and accurate disposal. At times I thought the players were a bit quiet today and the ball hit the ground a bit too often. In particular I feel that the handball needs to be faster and crisper.

Some good positive news is that Hurley and Carlisle completed quite a lot of the main training today and Jake looks like he really needs the run after such a long lay off.

One of the best players today was Alex Browne who returned to full training and he was brimming with enthusiasm and was salt and pepper all over the ground making good decisions and using the ball well. I’m sure you’re all pleased at this good news after his long road back.

People often ask me if anyone has emerged from the pack over the preseason and while it hasn’t been dramatic mark down Dalgleish as the preseason dark horse. Two examples today were a good arm in to spoil a Daniher mark and get the ball over the boundary and his run down of Goddard on the wing to win the ball with a strong tackle. He has always had pace and is going nicely in defence - often at full back.lll

Highlight of the day though was to see grandpa Tim Watson and Terry Daniher in the Sheedy Cafe before training. Brought back the best of the eighties straight away.

Thanks for the report.
Did Zaka not train at all?

Quoted Post

Thanks for the report. Did Zaka not train at all?

Modified group. Hopefully not too bad.

Cheers JM, these reports are what makes Blitz great. Fantastic news re Browne - do you have any clue as to when Zaka and Myers are set to return to full training?

Also, how do you think Marty Gleeson tracking so far this pre-season? I really rate the lad and hope to see him featuring regularly in the seniors this year. Thanks again mate.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Thanks for the report. Did Zaka not train at all?

Modified group. Hopefully not too bad.

Thanks mate

Good to hear that Watson and Daniher are doing well. Two of my favorites, and their younger repos are no slouches either. Thanks JM, much appreciated.

Thanks Jackie

Bellchambers in modified group. Meltdown in 3, 2, 1…

Is Bellchambers injured?

...he really needs the run after suck a long lay off.

Huh.

Quoted Post

Training in mild overcast conditions on the McCracken Oval.

Highlight of the day though was to see grandpa Tim Watson and Terry Daniher in the Sheedy Cafe before training. Brought back the best of the eighties straight away.

Terry Daniher in a cafe. What has the world come to?

Great report Jackie.

How were Zerrett and Cooney?

Really expecting big things from them both this season.

Strange atmos today with the Top Ups playing (Polkinghorne the only VFL player present this week).
Most of the ring ins slotted in well, Jones was pretty scrappy but very present and confident and Petrenko did a few nice things.

RE the Zaka injury - FWIW, I overheard him telling Reidy it was feeling really good. And he definitely seemed to be running with no impedance. Seemingly more precautionary management than cause for alarm.

Myers participated in early drills before doing some brutal one on one work with the conditioning staff followed by a series of 1km runs which had him knackered by trainings end. Seemingly good to go by next week.

It felt like the intensity was about 70% of last weeks, which I’m sure was somewhat intentional, but it also made for some poor decision making and average ball movement.

Lots of teaching from Hird across the squad, who was especially vocal when his instructions weren’t followed - Gave KAV! a supreme, cuss laden roasting for not moving the ball quick enough.

Dalgleish as mentioned was solid. And has spent most of the summer as a 3rd tall/rebounding HBF.
Obv, has great closing speed and has really improved his body work in Marking contests.

Joey took a few nice contested marks, all of which he converted. Lloyd when quizzed over the fence, said “Joey’s gone from a 40/60 to a 60/40, which I’m pleased about but that he needs to be better”

Alex Browne is moving very well. Today was his best session since resumption. Plenty to be excited about with this kid. He has definitely trimmed down on his 2013 weight, so he has some real ping in his pegs.

Tayte Pears put on the boots and did some kicking with trainers for about 15-20 minutes, which was a big step in his pre-season. The boy is coming from a long, long way back. Wishing him the best for '15.

The Merrett boys were solid. Jacko, the birthday boy approached Melksham levels of anger at times, which was good to see. Zerrett’s decision making and movement at the stoppages a real highlight.

Gleeson is tracking well. And has improved steadily over the last month. Will be really interesting to see the youngens competing for a potential senior HBF spot in the NAB. Plenty in the mix!

I watched Dempsey closely today. As he doesn’t look like he’s enjoying his footy a whole lot. Very little interaction with his team mates and just seems to be lacking some sort of spark. Hope to see him get back to his 2013 form.

Edwards made another of his trademark scintillating 40m runs through traffic only to ■■■■ his 3rd bounce and lose possession. Wasn’t a great day for him today, though all will agree he possesses plenty of what we need in 2015. Very excited to see what he can produce in the NAB cup.

Thanks again JM for the report.

Good to hear that Dalgliesh is showing some promise. I like of what little I’ve seen of him and
I believe that if he continues to improve could become a dangerous player for us.

By the way, did he spoil Daniher’s mark at the
highest point?

Keep up the good work Jackie.

Quoted Post

...he really needs the run after suck a long lay off.

Huh.

2014 belcho training report

Quoted Post

Cheers JM, these reports are what makes Blitz great. Fantastic news re Browne - do you have any clue as to when Zaka and Myers are set to return to full training?

Not really but I suspect both are not too far away. Myers running but lumbering a bit. Club have said Zaka’s injury is not serious.

Also, how do you think Marty Gleeson tracking so far this pre-season? I really rate the lad and hope to see him featuring regularly in the seniors this year. Thanks again mate.

Going well. Good ball use. Does the little things like blocking and shepherding well.

On ya JM

Thanks for the reports!

Quoted Post

Bellchambers in modified group. Meltdown in 3, 2, 1...

Didn’t actually say he was modified he was absent.

This is probably better news than being modified as it may mean no injury at all.

Quoted Post</

Great report Jackie.

How were Zerrett and Cooney?

Really expecting big things from them both this season.

Zerret continues to be pivotal. Cooney still has his leg strapped but trained ok without standing out.