Training Friday 4th Dec

Is it just me or did those drills sound better and far more challenging than anything the boys were put through last year? 

I really feel sorry for the boys when the REAL pre-season starts after Christmas...

I thought they were definitely hard. Especially in the heat. They were 'different'. But drills and training will change and evolve over pre-season and then during the season. 
Is it just me or did those drills sound better and far more challenging than anything the boys were put through last year? 

I really feel sorry for the boys when the REAL pre-season starts after Christmas...
it goes without saying that this will be their "toughest pre-season ever".

The main difference this time around is that rather than a brief rest after each score with a new ball fed in from the other end of the ground, they get to sprint up the boundary line instead. 

Deckham said:
The Ant said:

Keep going 
If you have any specific questions let me know.

Ant - amazing training reports.

Any more detail on Laverde and Langford? Training with the mids? forwards?

Who is the most vocal on the ground? Hepp?

How is Zach Merret looking? Can't wait to see him and parish running rings around teams for the next decade!

At one point, they were doing a drill where one runs across the ground, while the other attempts to stop him. Langford was on Zerret. Zerret shrugged Langford off, and Langford started swearing in anger. I liked that :)

Oh - and Parish has a mouth on him. Cocky ■■■■■■■, he is, also. The kid will become an absolute champ - or be broken in the seniors rather quickly. 
In one of the pre-draft videos on AFL, Parish's name was frequently cited as the biggest sledger by the other top draftees.  Look forward to him getting under some opposition skin in years to come!
shack997 said:
Deckham said:
The Ant said:

Keep going 
If you have any specific questions let me know.

Ant - amazing training reports.

Any more detail on Laverde and Langford? Training with the mids? forwards?

Who is the most vocal on the ground? Hepp?

How is Zach Merret looking? Can't wait to see him and parish running rings around teams for the next decade!

At one point, they were doing a drill where one runs across the ground, while the other attempts to stop him. Langford was on Zerret. Zerret shrugged Langford off, and Langford started swearing in anger. I liked that :)

Oh - and Parish has a mouth on him. Cocky ■■■■■■■, he is, also. The kid will become an absolute champ - or be broken in the seniors rather quickly. 
In one of the pre-draft videos on AFL, Parish's name was frequently cited as the biggest sledger by the other top draftees.  Look forward to him getting under some opposition skin in years to come!
Sounds like the only thing he didnt learn working around the shearing sheds was how to cut his OWN hair off.

anyone know when Colyer resumes training ?

I don’t remember you oldies sooking so much about a recruit’s haircut in the history of Blitz.

Go back over the last 30 years of EFC hair and you’ll find at least 100 worse bonces than Parish’s…

@Ant

What does Gach look like? Is he quite thin? he looks like he has a good base to build upon body wise. And how are his skills?

I don't remember you oldies sooking so much about a recruit's haircut in the history of Blitz.

Go back over the last 30 years of EFC hair and you'll find at least 100 worse bonces than Parish's...

You've got terrible hair, dontcha?
Deckham said:
I don't remember you oldies sooking so much about a recruit's haircut in the history of Blitz.

Go back over the last 30 years of EFC hair and you'll find at least 100 worse bonces than Parish's...

No
Reboot said:
Deckham said:

No

You like his hair?
Deckham said:
Reboot said:
Deckham said:

No

You like his hair?

Sorry, was answering for myself. Old bald dudes can sort it out amongst themselves.

Great report/s thanks Ants and Deckham/all. 

Must admit have never really been into the pre season comp (have no idea what it’s called this time). However after reading the report/s really looking forward to watching our younger brigade and really, really pleased that Parish is cheeky/cocky, perhaps we will see some sparks fly, always adds a bit of the drama.

@Ant

What does Gach look like? Is he quite thin? he looks like he has a good base to build upon body wise. And how are his skills?

He is a beautiful thing to look at. Not 'Bock' thin but not Majak built.  
Is athletic and streamlined. 

He got the ball a fair bit in the main drill and moved well.

On the other field I watched him run into goal and had a shot from around 40 and it flew out of bounds on the full!

Lot to work with though.
Could be anything.
Deckham said:

Imagine a combination of Tony Antrobus, Courtney Johns (dreads era), Andrew Lovett with the Peroxided Assymmetrical faux hawk, Ariel Steinberg circa 2010 and latter period Kepler Bradley
Barnz said:
Hopefully they factor in some wet weather training.
Turn the farking sprinklers on.

Here is my take on the session

One helluva session, all players and coaches in full beast mode. 

Evolving training methods. I reckon the bombers trainers are borrowing heavily, best in class, from the european football clubs. 

I counted 15 or 16 coaches / helpers running around. Each drill no more than 15 minutes, and every drill match simulated at 100 pct effort. So we are talking 100 pct focused, full tilt stuff for short 15 minute bursts. Then we have 5 minute breaks, then back into it doing another drill. 

In all honest the drill were very much soccer like. Tiki Taka (barcelona) with the hands instead. There was another drill where you had three teams where on team was in the middle and they would take on say the red team for 2 minutes then the black team for two minutes then back to the red etc etc. After a while one of the other teams would jump in the middle. Soccer stuff. 

It was brutal to watch. And watching the younger guys try and keep up you actually notice how well conditioned professional afl athletes are. 

All the draftees - to varying extents were shot by 3/4 of the training. Doing it particularly hard was Francis. Thought he was going to puke any number of times. There was a tackling drill (offensive team vs defensive team) halfway through training where he was down to a walk. BJ wasn’t happy…

Ok general thoughts of new players

Francis - will look like Hurley in 3 years time. Big and strong - hopefully his engine will improve. The coaching staff are onto him. I reckon he is tucked into bed already….

Parish - as the Ant said moves like a royles Royce. Will be a guy others like to hate because he is a pretty boy but unlike a few other vanilla pretty boy types - this guy is a goer. We need to get around him. Will be in the Jobe, Dyson elite range. Kicking action super smooth and to be honest he reminds me of Mickey Turner (geelong) who i think was one of his coaches recently.

Gach - project player. Looks awesome but for a guy with 40 games under his belt was not up to speed (who would be?) 

Yestin Eades - Most ready of the young guys for round 1. Did things I have seen Jake Long do in 3 years. Sorry Jake but I need to notice you more.

Mason redman - imo this guy is second most ready of the young guys when round one comes. But he is fairdinkum 2 parts mad. Yelling at Hooker or Hurley to be accountable (in a nice way) from the sidelines will at some point get one of the older blokes going back at him reminding him he has been around for 2 weeks. His personality is like BJ’s on roids. But probably the same reason I rate him as a chance for early selection. He WANTS to play and thinks he is ready…

Tom Wallis - if he is the Baggs look alike his mum must be a midget with dark hair. 

Will Hams giving it 100 pct but getting clobbered. Hope his body holds up

Tippa - still doesn’t look 100 pct conditioned but does some nice stuff. 

Other stand outs - Tbell looks in good nick, Jobe looks fit and healthy, Hooker looks like a wwe wrestler, Hurley primed, Laverde was a pressure machine and Langford looking classy. 

On light (non group work) were Kommer, Buddha, Cooney, Hibberd, colyer

Demsey looks slimmer, Gleeson a bit bigger. 

JD - no discernible change

Heppell and BJ running the show. 

Smack even bigger!

So overall the main thing i took from it was that the session was super tough, super organised with cutting edge drills based on speed and precision. Lots of coaches yelling encouragement.

More of the same

Hopefully they factor in some wet weather training.

Ben Doolan,  any comment on Conor, after 1 preseason, around 16 games @ VFL level  and a couple of games @ AFL level. Is he looking like a player at training?

chris_64 said:
Ben Doolan,  any comment on Conor, after 1 preseason, around 16 games @ VFL level  and a couple of games @ AFL level. Is he looking like a player at training?

He didn't stand out as much as he should have imo. Those pressure drills requiring quick decisions should be his thing. Having said that all guys are probably at different fitness levels this early in. Too early to write anyone off but early enuf to spot the talent. 

Pears looks trim atrim nd he did well in those quick hand drills.