Training Friday 5/1/18

From what I’ve seen of him he’s nippy, but not express. Trav would burn him off in a pure sprint without too many problems.

1 Like

A good observation, actually. Good pick-up.

As requested training groups on Friday as much as I remember:

Defenders:
Gleeson, Francis, Baguley, Redman, Ambrose, Zerk, Hartley, Saad, Dea, Mcniece

Midfielders:
McGrath, Bellchambers, Parish, Langford, Smith, Zerrett, Goddard, Zaharakis, Mutch, Heppell, Luey, Myers, Stringer, Guelfi, Clarke, Long

Forwards:
Daniher, Fanta, Green, Begley, Stewart, Jerrett, Houlahan, Laverde, Tippa, Lavender, Smack

There could have been one or 2 slightly diffeent but I think that’s pretty well right.

After going through the playing list I also can’t recall seeing Mynott out there, but I also forgot my binoculars which I rely on for these things, it can be a bit difficult ones there are 3 or 4 different groups across 2 ovals.

Regarding Fanta on Heppell at the end of training I wouldn’t necessarily read too much into it. Heppel was the only one in the group that hadn’t missed a large chunk of training pre Xmas, I think they were just getting more work into all of them. I don’t mind the idea though of him spending more midfield time he could add a lot of extra zip on the outside.

11 Likes

Trav would burn anyone in the team off, in my opinion. Fanta & Walla are no slouches, but Trav has a special burst-speed you don’t see often.

Smith is about Zerret speed, which is fine.

Edit: Oh, and then there’s Saad. Trav speed, for a bit longer, and more evasive.

I’ve never seen the full list of training dates properly listed on the website. Whenever it has been listed is has been something along the lines of every Friday or every Monday with a couple of extra dates thrown in as well.

In reality though from my experience unless there is some advertised change such as a community camp or a special event like an open day on a Tuesday or Thursday, in pre season they train every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. They are often out on the track doing stretches and run throughs from around 9.30 with a lot of the drills starting around 10am

4 Likes

Yes I’d agree with all that, fast without being super express

On Devon Smith’s speed:

Back in his draft combine days he recorded quite a few top ten results including 3rd for repeat sprints (23.82)

For some perspective, speedster Brad Hill came 10th.

The funny thing with Begley is even though he has a great looking technique and was very accurate in the seniors when he played last year, I’ve seen on a number of times at training when a high proportion of his set shots have missed. it’s often caught me by surprise as I’ve been expecting him nail nearly all of them, and quite a few of them have been ugly floaters where the ball drop hasn’t been right.

On the positive side though is Joe, he hardly seems to miss a shot anymore, just seems to have a lot more confidence in his technique and game in general and is really growing into a leader of the club.

6 Likes

G[quote=“MattPocock18, post:71, topic:11937, full:true”]
Anyone notice Mynott or Guelfi?
[/quote]

Guelfi did the full session and trained with the mids when they split into groups, I didn’t notice Mynott

1 Like

Anything different about his goal kicking technique?

Trav has a quick first few steps but I would have Irish from 10 metres onwards

4 Likes

Damn I’m salivating at how quick our side is going to be!

2 Likes

Hope his knee doesn’t prevent him from doing that again.

Straight line speed is one thing, but agility at full speed is a huge advantage. Saad has amazing ability to change direction at full speed. Can run straight at 2 opponents and evade both. I was quite surprised that Trav was caught a few times by players corraling him in spite of his sprint ability. Even joe can outrun players by running in an arc that burns off players with poor turning circles.

4 Likes

I think he changed his technique half way through last year when his accuracy showed a sudden improvement. Early in the year and previous years he had a big tendency to lean back when he was dropping the ball. This lead to his left hand coming up and I think also out to the left creating a high unpredictable ball drop. As his hand was moving to the left a little I think he came around the ball causing a lot of his shots to go right.

I believe a lot of that stemmed from him trying to kick the ball too hard and high. I noticed a change from about half way through the year where most of his set shots were more of a lower trajectory punching action, which is much more in line with his general field kicking which is often excellent (although he still has the problem of the occasional shank or pulled kick when he tries to kick the cover off it).

It seems now he is very comfortable with the technique and he even looks a different person now, a real leader of the club now walking around exuding confidence in everything he does, very confident in his abilities and able to back it up.

Don’t be surprised if this is his real breakout year and at the end of it he is considered one of if not the best player in the game

9 Likes

Fingers crossed.

Good observations, though.

If he’s going to play closer to goal, he must be at least 65% set shot.

Saad is the quickest followed by Mckeena.
McKenna, who has elite speed and agility is only slightly slower than Saad. I think Mckeena is exceptionally capable with his side step to cut up opposition teams trying to lock the ball in.

Personally I have the following list for express speed ( straight line 1st 20 ). Note that this isn’t based on any scientific criteria, more personal observations and info I have sourced on draft times ect.

1. Saad (2.81sc / 20m @ d combine)
  2. McKenna (2.93sc/ 20m @ d combine)
  3. Tippa (34.5 kilometres per hour - according to Triple mmm
  4. Colyer
  5. Fantasia
  6. Mcgrath
  7. Long
  8. Guelfi
  9. Green
  10. Daniher
  11. Smith
  12. Mcneice
  13. Stringer
  14. Z Merritt
  15. Zaharakis
  16. Laverde
  17. Parish
  18. Gleeson
  19. Begley
  20. Stewart

Speed at angles and changing directions is very different.

I would still have Saad & Mckeena too along with players like Long, Tippa Fantasia.
Very agile fast forwards like Daniher and Stringer would perhaps be faster than Colyer when changing directions or dodging and weaving.

Fantasia and tippa can both cut and change direction at speed. Tippa can also shimmy seemingly without losing momentum.