Training Friday 6/2/15

Hopefully the gap between our best 22 & depth disappearing we will have the luxury of more rotations on a week to week basis and be able to manage injuries better. Obviously players like continuity but it takes a squad to push for a flag and not just a best 25.

Obviously there are key players we want out there as much as possible but even if a few of say Jobe/Goddard/Stants/ Carlisle/Fletch/Hibberd have niggles we should have no issue with giving them a 3-4 weeks off to freshen up rather than run them into the ground.

Quoted Post

Hopefully the gap between our best 22 & depth disappearing we will have the luxury of more rotations on a week to week basis and be able to manage injuries better. Obviously players like continuity but it takes a squad to push for a flag and not just a best 25.

Obviously there are key players we want out there as much as possible but even if a few of say Jobe/Goddard/Stants/ Carlisle/Fletch/Hibberd have niggles we should have no issue with giving them a 3-4 weeks off to freshen up rather than run them into the ground.

This sort of thing was talked about last year, and it really did not happen in the key player group. For instance Chappie started really well then had a form slump / soreness and appeared cooked, but kept on playing, because he had to make 16 games. for contractual reasons. Then Stants was injured, but is a required key player, so apparently he played with a chronic injury. Also Heath Hocking was playing with chronic soreness.

But howlett was rested, did a mini preseason and came back good.

Chappy/winders/stanton and co need to put hand up if sore and miss a week.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post
Quoted Post
Quoted Post
Zerrett out bustled and beat Hepp at a few stoppages today which was great to watch. He's coming along very nicely. His brother as mentioned above, has lifted since coming back from his Hammy. Though, you'd say the inclusion of Cooney, who is in many ways a similar player, will mean his opportunities may be limited this year.

Yeah i think with the sanctions we had go after some older talent that will probably deliver for 2 or so years to give the young ones a chance to develop, as well as having a massive crack at a flag.

Worth the crack. Gold Coast will be dominating in 3 years. The time is now.

Gold Coast will dominate this year and for the next 3 years.

Watch their run and carry this season, best in the comp.

With eade at the helm this year it will be interesting to see if he pushes harbrow back. He was one of the best and most deadly running defenders in the comp under eade a few years back.

The idea of malceski Mackenzie and harbrow coming off half back is nothing short of terrifying.

Will also allow them to keep Ablett forward of half
back. Things could come together very quick for GC

You forgot the sneeze, Kade Kolodasfhjfashjghghghkj. Will be good.
Can apparently afford to put Broughton on the rookie list now. Reckon he’d get a game at most clubs.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post

This sort of thing was talked about last year, and it really did not happen in the key player group. For instance Chappie started really well then had a form slump / soreness and appeared cooked, but kept on playing, because he had to make 16 games. for contractual reasons. Then Stants was injured, but is a required key player, so apparently he played with a chronic injury. Also Heath Hocking was playing with chronic soreness.

Well my point is that we have better depth this year, so an injured Stants/Chappy might not be as appealing as they were last year.

Plus coaches could be looking foir opportunities to play the less experienced but promising players and any sign of weakness would provide that opportunity.

Not sure where you got your info on Chappy. I would have thought any “guaranteed matches” would apply more to match fees than actually getting out on the ground. Sure there’d be an incentive to get your money’s worth but playing an injured bloke could get the club in trouble in more ways than just a poor on field performance.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post

Well my point is that we have better depth this year, so an injured Stants/Chappy might not be as appealing as they were last year.

Plus coaches could be looking foir opportunities to play the less experienced but promising players and any sign of weakness would provide that opportunity.

Not sure where you got your info on Chappy. I would have thought any “guaranteed matches” would apply more to match fees than actually getting out on the ground. Sure there’d be an incentive to get your money’s worth but playing an injured bloke could get the club in trouble in more ways than just a poor on field performance.

On the Chappy matter, I understand ( partly based on an interview with Chappy on the EFC site) that he had to make 16 games as a 2014 contract condition precedent to automatic extension into 2015 . This basically allowed him to do one hamstring and that was it. However, since he had to make 16 games he had to try to play every game up to round 16 to be sure. Hence the need to play through soreness.
Correct me if I am wrong . Anyone.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post
Quoted Post

On the Chappy matter, I understand ( partly based on an interview with Chappy on the EFC site) that he had to make 16 games as a 2014 contract condition precedent to automatic extension into 2015 . This basically allowed him to do one hamstring and that was it. However, since he had to make 16 games he had to try to play every game up to round 16 to be sure. Hence the need to play through soreness.
Correct me if I am wrong . Anyone.

From my recollection, any matches he was rested for got counted toward the 16. It had to be a genuine injury that kept him out. If he could have played (even if sore) then if they left him out for a rest, it would have counted.

as long as stants manages his 25 posessions and goal per game theres no way any younger player will be overtaking him any time soon.

will be “as appealing” as he has ever been

hopefully with zachy,zaka, cooney, beej, hepp, jobe he doesn’t get tagged out of the game and can get back to 30 possies and running home strong, onya stants.

With Hocking still in modified training and probably likely to miss the start of the year, Has it been apparent who is taking the negative jobs in match practice?

I think Melksham could do it if he really got his head around the position.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post
Quoted Post
Quoted Post
Quoted Post
Zerrett out bustled and beat Hepp at a few stoppages today which was great to watch. He's coming along very nicely. His brother as mentioned above, has lifted since coming back from his Hammy. Though, you'd say the inclusion of Cooney, who is in many ways a similar player, will mean his opportunities may be limited this year.

Yeah i think with the sanctions we had go after some older talent that will probably deliver for 2 or so years to give the young ones a chance to develop, as well as having a massive crack at a flag.

Worth the crack. Gold Coast will be dominating in 3 years. The time is now.

Gold Coast will dominate this year and for the next 3 years.

Watch their run and carry this season, best in the comp.

With eade at the helm this year it will be interesting to see if he pushes harbrow back. He was one of the best and most deadly running defenders in the comp under eade a few years back.

The idea of malceski Mackenzie and harbrow coming off half back is nothing short of terrifying.

Will also allow them to keep Ablett forward of half
back. Things could come together very quick for GC

You forgot the sneeze, Kade Kolodasfhjfashjghghghkj. Will be good.
Can apparently afford to put Broughton on the rookie list now. Reckon he’d get a game at most clubs.

Sorry guys, my care factor on the ins and outs of the Gold Coast Suns hovers somewhere between zero and negative one.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
These reports are amazing plz keep them up!

Just a quick question. Seems Hibbo is flying under the radar this preseason. How is he going??

Had the trip overseas last year following a year with a few injuries. Is he fit? Fitter?

Does Gwilt’s addition free him up a bit more? Heard whispers of little midfield movement this year?

Hibberd is training very well Dempsey is the one most likely to be under pressure - currently in the modified group. These guys have been playing together for a number of years now so they should get better and better as a group.

Gwilt theoretically frees him up a little more but Gwilt is no certainty for best 22 and I don’t know of any plan to move Hibberd into the midfield on any major basis. We will have to wait and see.

its because he’s fat, isn’t it…

FATTY BOOMBAH

Courtney “Chubby” Dempsey.

Jackie, this may be relevant to your interests…

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/lifestyle/parenting/sports-broadcaster-tiffany-cherry-reveals-her-journey-to-becoming-a-single-mum-in-her-early-40s/story-fni0do7e-1227208741200

At full strength, IMO we have a number of players, maybe 3-4 who were regular players last year who are now marginal
If the new recruits are going to improve the quality of players in the side, they have to push existing players out or make existing players improve. So far, probably only Cooney is a walk up inclusion in the side for Round 1. For the rest its going to depend on the preseasons they put in and NAB cup performances

Quoted Post

as long as stants manages his 25 posessions and goal per game theres no way any younger player will be overtaking him any time soon.

In case you missed it, I was suggesting Stanton as an example of one of our good players that someone could stand in for, if he neded a few weeks to freshen up. Pretty sure the last couple of years when Jobe has been injured, it would would have been around the same time Stanton could have done with a rest.

And just for some perspective, last year he averaged 23.2 posessions and 0.7 goals in his 23 matches, which would be the minimum of what you would hope somone like Melksham/Colyer/KAV/Jerret/Zerret etc would achieve if given a genuine midfield opportunity.

I think he drop off is partly due to not being 100% fit but also because we now have Goddard and Heppel calling for the ball and making good use of it, so posessions are a lot more spread out. The ball no longer has to go through Stant’s hands every time we get a goal, we have more options.

Wannabe, We think alike some of the time !
When we gain possession, Stants is the no 1 run into space / spread player. He floods back and presses forward. He has a big engine and can do this all game, but I dont think he can do it all season. So basically I agree he is a player who should be rested, say when playing the lower sides eg. St Kilda, but needs to be up for the top sides The net result will be a benefit to the team over the whole year.
We need to do this to improve his longevity in the side now that he is close to 30. Give him a break !

Quoted Post

Quoted Post

In case you missed it, I was suggesting Stanton as an example of one of our good players that someone could stand in for, if he neded a few weeks to freshen up. Pretty sure the last couple of years when Jobe has been injured, it would would have been around the same time Stanton could have done with a rest.

And just for some perspective, last year he averaged 23.2 posessions and 0.7 goals in his 23 matches, which would be the minimum of what you would hope somone like Melksham/Colyer/KAV/Jerret/Zerret etc would achieve if given a genuine midfield opportunity.

I think he drop off is partly due to not being 100% fit but also because we now have Goddard and Heppel calling for the ball and making good use of it, so posessions are a lot more spread out. The ball no longer has to go through Stant’s hands every time we get a goal, we have more options.

yeah i did misread it, point taken