Training Friday 7/11/14

Training in warm conditions with a breeze at Tullamarine the McCracken Oval.

This session was for first to fourth year players and was the first open session of the year watched by a small crowd of about thirty. It was also Hird’s first public session as coach for 2014. It’s too early to pick out differences between coaching styles except to say that he is much quieter than Bomber and didn’t seem to be driving the players particularly hard today.

As is to be expected in the first week of training the players were a bit rusty and probably the adjectives low key and lacklustre could be fairly applied.

For example in one drill that involved players running in to kick at goal from an angle about thirty metres out successive shots were missed by J. Merret, Steinberg, Howlett, Aylett and Hams. Also noticeable was a lack of talking mad encouragement but it is far too early to be critical.

Connor McKenna performed credibly with occasional fumbles but quite good foot passing with his right foot over short distances and reasonable on uncontested marks overhead.

Heppel greeted us with his customers “guys” as he ran 100 metre repetitions at three quarter pace aroundd the boundary line. He is not injured but obviously on a special programme to set up his season. Alex Browne also had special train g away from the main group and he looks good - built up from the last preseason and could be a real tank this year.

I know that everyone hopes Joe is bigger and stronger this year well he is no taller but his legs have filled out a bit and his arms and shoulders have more definition so good news there. Ambrose his cohort on the forward line looked confident and pumped today and was quite vocal at times which is a good sign.

At the start of training someone kicked a beautiful sixty metre toro and when I raised the glasses to see who it it was I was not surprised to see Hirdy was the culprit.

Seriously McKenna's kicking action is beautiful, like a Crane.

At the start of training someone kicked a beautiful sixty metre toro and when I raised the glasses to see who it it was I was not surprised to see Hirdy was the culprit.

Making it all about himself!

yay training.

One thing very noticeable about James is his voice carries marvellously across the ground.

Jackieeee

sooo happy right now

Will upload pics when I get home. It was nice of Hire to come out and say hello just as I was leaving :slight_smile:

Will upload pics when I get home. It was nice of Hire to come out and say hello just as I was leaving :)

He lends himself to his fans

Look forward to these over summer!

Any sight of kommer?

Will upload pics when I get home. It was nice of Hire to come out and say hello just as I was leaving :)

He lends himself to his fans

BD is fuming

Much more exciting than the ASADA thread these posts

Thanks Jackie you champ!! :)

Howlett? Has he arrived early?

Look forward to these over summer!
Any sight of kommer?

I didn't notice him now that you mention it.

Kommer wasn’t there, neither was howlett.

Hams looked fit and ready to go which was nice, Browne looks in good spirits.

All the boys looked pretty fit tbh. No obvious guts.

Joes hair is still long.

Kommer wasn't there, neither was howlett.
Joes hair is still long.

In all its glory.

Jackie, if I ever get to meet you at a game or training I'm going to shout you a froff.

Joes hair is still long.

cheers for that. looked like a great day to be there.

and FYI EFC tweet.  

Joes hair is still long.

cheers for that. looked like a great day to be there.

and FYI EFC tweet.  

It looked like howlett was doing his own thing for the first half of the session then joined in on the drills jackie mentioned.
I should add I wasn't paying attention to anyone but hird and mckenna.