Training Friday 9/1/15

Training in drizzly conditions at Tullamarine on Koala’s birthday.

Karma Bomber and Wallan Bomber 2 helped with this report.

Here we are again at the business part of training for 2015 and it’s interesting to see how this compares to the previous pre-season under Bomber. You will remember that he had the approach of a slower start to the season and a stronger finish to overcome the late season fades of previous years and he was successful. It appears that the training so far has involved an increase inj running which perhaps indicates that we expect to start the season a bit fitter and that we hope that this will carry through the entire season.

Today is a mixture of good news and bad. Firstly everyone is buoyed by the five year Heppell signing which is a really strong statement by both him and the club as to their belief in the future. Excellent news.

On the negative side is the huge number of players in the modified group or not even appearing at all. A medical report from the club may alleviate some of these concerns and I don’t wish to start a panic but look at this:

Absent Carlisle, Hocking, Kommer and Pears.
Modified mainly running Fantasia, Browne, Giles, Hams, Myers and Dlagleish.

Is this simply a “conservative” approach to injuries which is fine or is it a real problem?

Training was fairly upbeat and the players handled the wet conditions very well - I was particularly impressed with Tommy’s work in the forward line marking, body contesting and goal kicking. Colyer continues his good form stemming from his increased confidence from break out games last season.

Karma Bomber makes the following observations about forward ball use on the Clarke Oval: Harvey was instructing concentrating on ball movement into the forward line. The ball carrier was having running options running towards the goal on the left and the right with the flight of the ball as we’ll as players leading up towards the kicker.

Fans of Joe will be startled to see his new haircut. Although he didn’t remove his cap it was reported to me as being a severe number one cut. Why is this worth reporting? Sources tell me that Lloydy believes it will improve his goal kicking because when he goes back on the mark he will be concentrating on thinking about his kicking rather than brushing back his hair!

A good session - Happy birthday to Koala.

and yet at the crux of the matter kommer was pivotal in a fair few wins, see west coast see freo.

A reply to: @aboods regarding QuoteLink

A reply to: @benfti regarding QuoteLink
A reply to: @Lifetime ban regarding QuoteLink
I reckon Kommer is a bit over rated myself, Chappy was a significant upgrade on him last year

That’s a bit unfair Ben. Kommer was a 21y.o. first year AFL footballer who displayed tremendous determination and persistence vs a 32 y.o. 251 game, triple premiership, Norm Smith Medallist and dual All Australian player. Apples and Oranges.

Henry Slattery showed tremendous determination also, and got ■■■■ canned on here constantly. Nick Kommer was a small forward who only kicked 10 goals for the year. If there is one spot in our forward line for a small forward it’s Zac Merrets every day of the week and twice on Sunday’s.

Zac won’t be playing much small forward through his career I wouldn’t think.

Nor should Nick Kommer, he should be further up the ground, but needs to work on his kicking

I reckon Kommer is a bit over rated myself, Chappy was a significant upgrade on him last year

That’s a bit unfair Ben. Kommer was a 21y.o. first year AFL footballer who displayed tremendous determination and persistence vs a 32 y.o. 251 game, triple premiership, Norm Smith Medallist and dual All Australian player. Apples and Oranges.

Henry Slattery showed tremendous determination also, and got ■■■■ canned on here constantly. Nick Kommer was a small forward who only kicked 10 goals for the year. If there is one spot in our forward line for a small forward it’s Zac Merrets every day of the week and twice on Sunday’s.

Zac won’t be playing much small forward through his career I wouldn’t think.

Anyway…
Any news on Smack (S. McKernan)?
Is he training & with which group?

A reply to: @RTBC regarding QuoteLink

Takes a fair bit of commitment to go through the re-hab to overcome a knee reconstruction. Probably fair to say supporters having a dig at a blokes fitness on an internet forum may not quite have the full story.

Takes a fair bit of commitment to get back to your 300k contract - when the alternative is…? Hobbling away (and continuing to hobble for the rest of your life)?
Please.

Takes a fair bit to come back when you’re unpaid, playing with your mates, and working a 9-to-5 as well.
When your footy is literally your career - one you’re getting compensated pretty well for - surely it’s an expectation.

lol Blitz

A reply to: @Peeto87 regarding QuoteLink

Dempsey is fkg awesome wtf are you guys talking about?

Ben just dislikes hardworking vanillas is all rather laconic talents.

A reply to: @mattmcp regarding QuoteLink

The one we should be concerned about is Hocking.
He'll be right.

Def alarm bells for Carlisle though :confused:

A reply to: @alex.f.94 regarding QuoteLink
A reply to: @fogdog regarding QuoteLink
If Nick Kommer was Dempsey, half of blitz would want him traded or delisted.

what an odd thing to say…

Not really. The point (for those that missed it) is that on blitz it seems Dempsey is scrutinised for his every move. In fact he can’t get a thing right during pre-season in most people’s eyes.

Yet Kommer, who has barely made it out of the changeroom in the last 18 months appears to escape any criticism or questions about his commitment, attitude towards recovery and general fitness.

If Dempsey had a similar attitude towards rehab as to what Kommer may have, then Dempsey would be gone.

Heh, some of us questioned why Kommer’s contract was extended to 2016 back in 2013.

A reply to: @alex.f.94 regarding QuoteLink
A reply to: @hambo regarding QuoteLink
Attn Dempsey bashers, what's the big deal about a couple of kilos extra weight? You need calories in order to train properly, these guys eat twice what regular folks do; the fat will turn to muscle with weights etc. Compare that attitude to all the blokes talking about Gleeson saying he needs to eat fish n chips every day and generally pig out so he can become more beefcake.

P.S. Is there a rule around here that Daguleesh’s name must be spelt incorrectly?

Oh come on… seriously?

That justification sounds like something Dean Rioli would have said to the fitness staff “err yes sir, i need these extra calories so i can train better… yeah the fat will turn into muscle mate, no worries”

And Dean Rioli was ■■■■■■■ awesome.

Yes, with you on that one. Was thinking the same myself, if Dempsey ends up like Rioli I for one wont be unhappy. I wont be unhappy if he stays the way he is either. Top athletes come in all shapes and sizes.

Dempsey is fkg awesome wtf are you guys talking about?

Takes a fair bit of commitment to go through the re-hab to overcome a knee reconstruction. Probably fair to say supporters having a dig at a blokes fitness on an internet forum may not quite have the full story.

One word: TURTLE.

A reply to: @wannabe regarding QuoteLink

So now Dempsey has a well known poor attitude to training?
Well, he'ss been suspended/criticised by the club/coaches/leadership group for his preparation and/or training a number of times. So, the answer you're looking for is 'yes'. (Let alone on here, Hird had a go at him in 2011 after the early time trial, he was suspended by the leadership group 2013 & again 2014 - there were murmurings under Knights, too) Poor attitude might be putting it too strongly, but the point has been made that he could do more. It's good he's doing well at training this year, I'd argue he has been in better shape.

(I would point out I know next to nothing about Kommer’s training / preparation, I wouldn’t be surprised if guys get given a certain amount of rope in-house before anything is said or done publicly)

Quoted Post

Why does he need to be in the best 3? Best 18 can still mean he's playing his role.

Pevster was saying he’s no good because he hasn’t worked his way into the midfield yet.

Personally I thought he had a very good year last year, and I’d be backing him to have another good one in 2015.