Training January 13

FINALLY - AFTER 10 YEARS WE ARE LEARNING!!!

Well, can’t learn everything at once i guess.

10 Likes

Thanks Ivan.

My view only, no I don’t see Bryan being able to play forward/ruck in the way Wright does. Bryan is a natural ruck. He is still a bit light but he reads the ball well and knows where his ground level players are. When he has the body to better protect the drop zone he will be a very good ruck. Unfortunately I feel like we’re developing him for another team as I sense he will want the opportunity to be a first choice ruck which he likely won’t be while we have Draper who’s still only 23. Bryan has great hands, nice leap and as stated in the report is handy at ground level too.

Draper is a competitive ruck who likes to throw his weight around which I suppose increases his chances of collision injury. I thought to myself watching the match sim today that Draper is the chaos giraffe (the name of a fabric my wife was using for one of my daughters but also I believe it was a term used in Scottish soccer). He’s clearly taller than most and it seems chaos ensues wherever he goes. He splits packs and crashed bodies but also not afraid to run as we saw a few times last year. He’s a real X factor and I think he can be a dominant ruck in the comp, hopefully sooner rather than later.

37 Likes

You could’ve simply walked closer.

15 Likes

Maybe smashed with hugs & kisses.

1 Like

Thraser Furlough, the big QLD ruckman we had on the rookie list a few years back?

4 Likes

Brand spent time in the modified group but competed in many of the main drills. Hird trained the whole session that I saw (I left when around 15 or so players were doing shuttle runs with the umpires). He looked ok but let’s be honest, he’s a cat B rookie who’s looking for more development. He does have a nice left foot on him though.

1 Like

Any sign of Reid ?

2 Likes

No. Didn’t see him. There were a few others there such as the Daveys, Clarke & Martin (?) but I’m not fully across who we have training with us at present. They called the name Foles a few times. No idea who that is though.

2 Likes

My boy Nick Bryan is going nowhere.
We need 2 genuine rucks and 2MP will need to develop further to keep Nick out.
Drapes can transfer his ability to create chaos down forward, including when he’s kicking for goal.
Nick will improve as a forward, can play the Richo role## given his mobility and ball skills or down back for a bit, and with Drapes he gives us 100% quality 1st ruck delivery to mids.
##some hyperbole inserted here
###there is also a thing called injury

1 Like

proceeds to say not controversial take

Matt Foley. NGA kid.

2 Likes

Dear lord, if one is surplus tho…

Edit: ring ring ring ring Hello, Freo?

well there you go. not controversial

Not players that have never been regular best 22 though. Players like that usually get you a 3rd rounder. The pressure is always on the club trading the player because they’re not getting a fair crack at it.

1 Like

If there is one thing that is guaranteed with this club, it’s that every single one of our kick outs will be a chip kick to the pocket and then a long kick down the line.

Like f*cking clockwork

3 Likes

Well, if we have Nik Cox playing on a wing, that actually might become a decent option. Not many blokes running alongside him will out compete him in the air.

3 Likes

Cutler a top player?

1 Like

Not if Hurley is back taking the kick-outs. Then it will be bomb it long on a 45 degree angle.

6 Likes

Literally every club does it. It’s not about being a high percentage opportunity for us, it’s about offering a low percentage opportunity for the opposition to take possession and rebound. It’s boring as ■■■■ and i hate it, but it’s easily the most common way that teams exit defensive 50.

5 Likes

So predictable for the oppo to defend

1 Like