Training Monday 1/2/16

The absolute most we should have paid for Cooney was a Pick in the mid 50's. Even then, I don't believe we needed another player in his late 20's, given the demographic of our list.

His recruitment was purely a PR exercise so that the club could say to the fans, we lost Ryder but gained Pick 17 & Adam Cooney.

Just another error to put on top of the pile of mistakes made by the club in the past 3-4 years.

The Cooney gamble was always a risk and i would argue it was a PR exercise to the players not the fans.
The club always knew the risk but a massive component to his signing was that the club wanted to reward the current playing group at the time, who had endured so much uncertainty, with the opportunity to play for some success.
Adam Cooney’s signing was that symbol of commitment to the players who stuck fat throughout the saga.
After the first 3 games i think people were very excited with his performances (he was easily our best player in round 1).
Unfortunately, he then broke down with new injuries not his degenerative knee issue which plagued his career.
He still has another season and could play a valuable role this year considering the outs, so i think we need to take a deep breath here.

EFC may have made a ‘pile of mistakes in the past 3-4 years’ but i think the list management has been good at best and above average at worst.
Disco has shown over the last 3 years he is a capable list manager.
Many said EFC had the best offseason prior to the CAS decision. Introducing the Hawks for Buckets deal was genius. I cant remember a better EFC trade outcome ever than the Carlisle to Stkilda deal.
He has also picked the eyes out of 2 restricted drafts:
2013 2 rising stars in Zerrett and Fanta is an amazing return considering where they were picked
2014 Langers and Laverde look very impressive early.

Cooney was absolutely worth a shot.

Cooney was absolutely worth a shot.

geez… no need to take him behind the curtain. He may still have a good year.

Cooney was absolutely shot.

Cooney was also picked prior to learning the AFL tribunal call on the 34. I reckon he was acquired in part because the club feared the worst last year.

Cooney was a deadset fk up. The blokes more cooked that charlie sheen

I can’t even explain to you the magnitude of my pissedoffness, when we threw away a Pick in the 30’s in the midst of heavy draft sanctions, for a guy that IMO was basically finished.

So much so, that I effectively took a year off from Blitz !

It was a mistake, but at the time we were hoping for a top four spot, and a chance at a Premiership. Knowing what we know now, of course we wouldn’t have pulled the trigger on that deal. At the time I thought it was overs for someone with a chronic knee, but if you asked me what I thought after R1 last year, I would’ve said it was well worth it.

I’m still confused how anybody could watch our 2014 final against North and think ‘hmm, take out Ryder and add Cooney, and we might be a shot.’

Cooney was a terrible call, not just in hindsight either

Cooney was a deadset fk up. The blokes more cooked that charlie sheen

I can’t even explain to you the magnitude of my pissedoffness, when we threw away a Pick in the 30’s in the midst of heavy draft sanctions, for a guy that IMO was basically finished.

So much so, that I effectively took a year off from Blitz !

It was a mistake, but at the time we were hoping for a top four spot, and a chance at a Premiership. Knowing what we know now, of course we wouldn’t have pulled the trigger on that deal. At the time I thought it was overs for someone with a chronic knee, but if you asked me what I thought after R1 last year, I would’ve said it was well worth it.

I’m still confused how anybody could watch our 2014 final against North and think ‘hmm, take out Ryder and add Cooney, and we might be a shot.’

Cooney was a terrible call, not just in hindsight either

How about take out Ryder, Watson, Stanton, Fletcher, Hurley, Hooker, Carlisle etc. etc.

He was drafted as icing on the cake yes, but also as cover for player suspensions.

Everyone knew he had the degenerative knee issue but we were so desperate for someone that could break the lines with a bit of pace, that and the optics thing that bltn mentioned.

Not only did the dogs get a good pick they didn’t have to worry about managing a club champion into early retirement.

I base this on absolutely nothing, but I reckon ■■■■ may have a pretty good year.

Cooney’s first 2 games last year were excellent from memory. Then he got injured, came back and was absolute garbage. I don’t remember him ever being so soft at the dogs. His one arm tackles are headache inducing

He needs to have a very good season this year. He is one of the most experienced players on our list, we need him to step up.

I base this on absolutely nothing, but I reckon ■■■■ may have a pretty good year.

Same. I reckon he is training pretty hard behind the scenes and is being kept off the track to keep the body fresh. Spongy floors and such.

I friggin hope so.

We’re gonna need it

Same. I reckon he is training pretty hard behind the scenes and is being kept off the track to keep the body fresh. Spongy floors and such.

We moved to Telstra Stadium for spongey floors, record injuries and nothing but misery since. Train them on asphalt, with the screw ins.