Training Monday 10/2/14

Training in pleasant,breezy conditions

The assistant coaches took the entire session today on the Mc Cracken oval and it was obvious that after the flogging they had in the heat of Friday that this session was to be less intensive as the club approaches it’s first game.

There were two main drills. In the first a series of cones down both sides of the ground restricted the play to a central corridor and the familiar pattern of receiving the ball in the back line and moving it quickly into the forward line commenced. This was a fairly unremarkable session with a mixture of some good play and some hesitant, fumbling sideways movements. Edwards impressed a couple of times and Gleeson was good but the shooting for goal was scrappy.

This was followed by a practice using the entire ground supervised by Neil Craig. Despite a few flashes of good play the session was one of the poorer ones I have seen in this pre-season. The players seemed flat and had to be berated at length by Jobe. Players were slow to play on or to move to give options. Kicks and handballs went astray and there were signs of the old Knights gameplan I thought not to mention the Andrew Welsh school of let’s kick the ball sideways at every opportunity style of play.

I don’t want to be too negative but I must call it as I see it. If you are looking for positives I guess it would be that defensive skills were to the fore and successfully bottled up play and cut off options.

The highlight of the session came at the end when players had one on one marking duels from high balls kicked to them. Hardinham and Baaguley had a great duel, Gleeson narrowly out pointed Ashby and Daniher and Ryder had a titanic battle that both of them seemed to enjoy.

Overall the preseason is tracking well but today was pretty flat which is bound to happen from time to time.

thanks Jm. much appreciated.

The assistant coaches took the entire session today on the Mc Cracken oval and it was obvious that after the flogging they had in the heat of Friday that this session was to be less intensive as the club approaches it's first game.
There were two main drills. In the first a series of cones down both sides of the ground restricted the play to a central corridor and the familiar pattern of receiving the ball in the back line and moving it quickly into the forward line commenced. This was a fairly unremarkable session with a mixture of some good play and some hesitant, fumbling sideways movements. Edwards impressed a couple of times and Gleeson was good but the shooting for goal was scrappy.
This was followed by a practice using the entire ground supervised by Neil Craig. Despite a few flashes of good play the session was one of the poorer ones I have seen in this pre-season. The players seemed flat and had to be berated at length by Jobe. Players were slow to play on or to move to give options. Kicks and handballs went astray and there were signs of the old Knights gameplan I thought not to mention the Andrew Welsh school of let's kick the ball sideways at every opportunity style of play.
I don't want to be too negative but I must call it as I see it. If you are looking for positives I guess it would be that defensive skills were to the fore and successfully bottled up play and cut off options.
The highlight of the session came at the end when players had one on one marking duels from high balls kicked to them. Hardinham and Baaguley had a great duel, Gleeson narrowly out pointed Ashby and Daniher and Ryder had a titanic battle that both of them seemed to enjoy.
Overall the preseason is tracking well but today was pretty flat which is bound to happen from time to time.

So you're saying "season over"?

Great report again Jack. Saladin said in another thread that Edwards was "very impressive" and now that you have mentioned it, what was he doing that was impressive? Is it his movement in traffic, or skill level, or footy brain etc etc?

I'm glad you mentioned it first, Jackie.

It seems almost blasphemous to suggest Bombers' 'everyone run together, take the first option' has a lot in common with Knights's's 'run and gun, pull the trigger' gameplan, but it's been bothering me just the same.

There are differences, but they're slight.  And I didn't see any of what makes Geelong's gameplan work being emphasised at the training I saw, which is blocking and shepherding off the ball.

And it's going to fall apart if

a) all the forwards hang back, or

b ) an opposition back-flanker or midfielder runs past the play and their man doesn't follow them.  And I'm looking at a couple of our players pointedly here.

For Peeto

Essendon FC ‏@EssendonFC 1h

Selling candy on a Monday morning, @cdellolio_ fakes a would-be tackler.

It seems almost blasphemous to suggest Bombers' 'everyone run together, take the first option' has a lot in common with Knights's's 'run and gun, pull the trigger' gameplan, but it's been bothering me just the same.

There are differences, but they're slight.  And I didn't see any of what makes Geelong's gameplan work being emphasised at the training I saw, which is blocking and shepherding off the ball.

b ) an opposition back-flanker or midfielder runs past the play and their man doesn't follow them.  And I'm looking at a couple of our players pointedly here.

I did notice last year though (when we were good) was that we did have backs hanging back a bit to cut off the counter attack. It also required a few midfielders to gut-run back as well, maybe even give up a free kick.

It is bound to get scored off (even Geelong conceded goals to that style) however should the plan be executed properly, we will score more than the opposition.

Jackie, do you think from what you have seen of edwards that he can push for regular senior selection?

What I took from that report.

Edwards impressed a couple of times and Gleeson was good.
a few flashes of good play 

defensive skills were to the fore and successfully bottled up play and cut off options.
Hardingham and Baguley had a great duel, Gleeson narrowly out pointed Ashby and Daniher and Ryder had a titanic battle that both of them seemed to enjoy.
Overall the preseason is tracking well.

Lid OFF.

Thanks as always, Jackie.

Club site saying Heppell returned to training today - how did he train?

I did notice last year though (when we were good) was that we did have backs hanging back a bit to cut off the counter attack. It also required a few midfielders to gut-run back as well, maybe even give up a free kick.

It is bound to get scored off (even Geelong conceded goals to that style) however should the plan be executed properly, we will score more than the opposition.

Yeah, I don't think that's what this coach is doing.

"Kicks and handballs went astray and there were signs of the old Knights gameplan I thought not to mention the Andrew Welsh school of let's kick the ball sideways at every opportunity style of play."

Oh God, the knightmares....

As in hanging the defenders back?

Looks like we've started our form slump early this year  :P

As in hanging the defenders back?

As in anything, really.

We have a new coach.  Lots and lots of new coaches, actually.

I’d rather the players look flat at a practice session in February than in a final in September.

The knights reference I saw was more along the lines of farking around with the ball at half forward with useless sideways handball.

Got some touches around congested areas but not a prominent session from hepp.

The knights reference I saw was more along the lines of farking around with the ball at half forward with useless sideways handball.

Fair enough.  Happy to own the rest.

Edit:  Probably worth noting that Knights had players running forward of the ball while Bomber has them running with or behind.

It seems similar to me, and this is just one idiots opinion, not the same.

Essendon FC ‏@EssendonFC 10s

Heppell returns - http://bombe.rs/1ku9krE  After a week off with back spasms, @DysonHeppell rejoined the main group. pic.twitter.com/1yWOz53bQw

BgFJZ-tCQAAMNje.jpg

As Jackie said, a pretty unremarkable session except, perhaps, for its scrappiness.

But a few quick things I did glean;

Edwards.took the game on with good carry from half back several times. But what really stood out to me was a particular passage that saw green vests transfer into a dead pocket with no options up field. It was Edwards who sprinted from the far wing 50 or 60 meters to present an option, passing several others in the process. Wanted the footy, busted his ■■■■ to be the option, good attitude on display. Good skills, useful overhead. Seems driven and intense.