Training Monday 17/1 of some year

Training wrapping up. Will do a report when i get home

29 Likes

Get them on the list first, but forward for me.:wink:

3 Likes

Just loved the way Franga spun out of that hold to lead for the ball and beat 2 opponents

4 Likes

Sorry to quote myself, but I just wish our players learned to spin out of tackles the way some teams just brushed us off that way relentlessly in a number of key games last season. Either that or find a way to hold onto the bodies of those oppo players that just flick us off.

4 Likes

Iā€™ll try and do an inferior one later too

5 Likes

@Wrighty05 / @CJohns

Donā€™t underestimate the importance of first mover advantage.

5 Likes

Correct, someone needs to set the spike up,before hitting the winner.

Hopefully working on some father sons.

3 Likes

Just out of interest, does anyone know how much time the JHA players can spend training with the AFL squad?

Wouldnā€™t think they would be allowed to do full pre-seasons?

What a duo.

Get on Board!!!

4 Likes

I imagine the likes of Wanganeen and Misiti can spend the whole preseason with usā€¦. As theyā€™re currently competing for a SSP.

Looks to have filled out.
Photo from last year (or the year before) he looked like he still had a little bit of puppy fat

From reports, feels like Tex has truly inserted himself into the action this preseason, staking a legitimate claim for a spot on the list. Totally seduced by the name but hope Tex makes it.

4 Likes

Here is my go at a report, but expect better ones later

Training in mild conditions today.

Close to a 3 hour session, I probably missed the first 15-20 and the last 15-20. I also got dragged into the Bomber Shop by my boy which cost me $180 :man_facepalming:

Great to see a few blitzers there. Nice to chat to CJohns and a few others.

Most of my time there was me going ā€œwho was thatā€, when someone did something good. A few times the answer came back Alastair Lord, so I wasnā€™t learning who #28 was!!! But he was doing some nice things.

If any opposition recruiters read this, the Davey boys are rubbish and arenā€™t worth bidding on. Iā€™m not sure which one is which (once again :man_facepalming:) but the one wearing #40 dodged a couple and kicked a lovely running goal at one point.

Before training really got going in match sim, Nik Cox was 35 out on the boundary, doing left foot snaps and it was like shelling peas. Didnā€™t miss. I made the stupid comment ā€œnot bad for his wrong sideā€ and someone said ā€œhe doesnā€™t have a wrong sideā€. Fair point!

There was time in some sim work where our best forwards Wright, Francis and Jones were matches up against Ridley, Zerk and Stewart. Out of everyone, Ridley impressed me so much. Heā€™s so good at reading the ball in flight in back situations, whether to kill the ball or mark it. Absolute standout.

Peter Wright led well and took some nice marks. As nearly always, kicked for goal beautifully. But his best moment was running down Nick Hind for holding the ball. Itā€™s that forward pressure that we like to see, so that was a highlight for him. Actually I saw Hind get caught twice, the other was big Sammy Draper. Who then had a shot 35 out and hooked it with a poor ball drop. Still a work in progress there, apparently Cara was working with him after the last session for 15 minutes on exactly that, so work still needed there.

The forwards/backs were also working on a drill where the defence deliberately turned it over to the opposition on a clearing kick and had to re group when the oppo would re-enter from 70 out. This is where Francis took some nice lead up marks. Rance was very vocal in this drill telling defenders when to fill space, when to find a body and telling players when to go. Such a good addition to the coaching squad.

Whilst this was happening, the mids were working on purely boundary stoppage work which I liked to see. This is an area where we struggled last year, especially in comparison to our centre square work. Hard to spot who the standouts were in that as that was on the wing and we were stationed in the forward pocket.

Fejo and Wanganeen. Didnā€™t see enough of them to form a valid opinion sorry. Iā€™m sure others might have more to say. But as I said before the ones that stood out to me more that arenā€™t on the list were the Davey boys.

Was good to see Jones do the full session. Cox wouldā€™ve done the majority of it. Not sure whatā€™s up with Perkins, he was in the modified group but seemed to be moving pretty well.

Iā€™m sure others will have more details, but I thoroughly enjoyed the morning and it was great to meet a few people from here. I might even be able to sneak out here again on Wednesday for another look. And my boy loved it too.

If you have any specific questions about those I missed I will do my best to reply with my uneducated opinion.

Cheers

154 Likes

Heā€™s signed with Heidelberg in the NFNL this year.

3 Likes

What did your son end up getting at the bomber shop?

Bomber jersey (clash strip :man_facepalming:. I tried) a polo and a footy.

To be fair he has our home jersey already

9 Likes

I imagine we excelled at this.

27 Likes

Haha was giggling when I wrote this, knew it would draw comments like that

1 Like

Love everything about this guy, but his kicking must improve if he is to become the player we need him to become.

4 Likes