Training Monday 18/5/20

Awesome. So glad to have something other than Cyrus the Virus to talk about.

1 Like

Thanks @Irons and everyone else for your support. I was actually quite surprised at how much I was able to write as there really wasn’t much to report on.

2 Likes

This from Devon Smith in early May

Star midfielder Devon Smith says teammate and close friend Jake Stringer is in the best shape he’s ever been as a Bomber.

Stringer, who has booted 65 goals from 40 games with Essendon after crossing over from the Western Bulldogs at the end of 2017, barely missed a session over pre-season, shaving more than 20 seconds off his personal best in the two-kilometre time trial.

He took that form into round one, hitting the scoreboard five times (2.3) in the Bombers’ low-scoring win over the Dockers.

While Stringer has impressed in the red and black, Smith said he expected the 2015 All Australian to take his game to the next level when the AFL season restarts.

“Right now, he’s in a great spot,” Smith said.

“He’s just had a new child, little River. I’ve been doing bits and pieces of training with him (during the lockdown). I still text him most days and he’s mentally and physically in the best shape since I’ve seen him at the football club, so hopefully over the next two to three years, he really comes on the scene and becomes the player we know he can be.”

12 Likes

Great! Hopefully that’s the case. Would be fantastic. Was just going off Nackers observations this morning.

Saw hooker down at aberfeldie athletics track a week and a half ago. Gee for a big fella he was punching out 200m sprints pretty well and moving good. Had some sort of strength and conditioning coach there with him aswell and kicking the footy in a small drill

27 Likes

There was 3 of us this morning who are all regular training watchers, so we have seen him this year and in previous seasons. We actually had heard about this quote from Smith and discussed it. None of us thought he looked in great shape, though obviously I hope we were wrong and it was just our first impression on seeing him back again.

Yeah i know. It was just the best way to describe that part of his hair.

1 Like

I knew the report was wrong as soon as it said TIPPA had slimmed down to under Mo22ie size, rather than Mo22ie blowing out to beyond TIPPA (predator) size.

2 Likes

“Nape” is the word you were searching for.

1 Like

Not a criticism of your post. I hope what Smith said is true too. But I’m slightly skeptical about Smith’s comments. The history of just about every pre-season interview for every club shows us that a player saying one of his teammates is flying is not exactly an impartial comment.
Guess we’ll find out in the first injury report or in Round 2.

1 Like

lol Zaka wtf is that.

6 Likes

I think they are 10kgs

9 Likes

Looks way better than his usual buzz cut. The guy isn’t losing hair so he should grow it out and enjoy it while he can.

12 Likes

I don’t mind it just found it funny

2 Likes

Which for a bloke Zaka’s size would be a fair weight for some exercises.

2 Likes

I think the talk of Hooker being cooked will prove to be premature.

Hopefully the extra time has got him moving freely again.

14 Likes

Don’t worry, I’ve got one of WOB’s many posts on that subject bookmarked.

14 Likes

Hooker will be an interesting selection if Daniher is not right to go. With Ambrose fit there is a bit of a log jam of good defenders all of a sudden. Hooker, Hurley, Zerk-Thatcher, Francis, Ridley and Ambrose all fighting for 3-4 positions. Redman and Saad are lock ins…McKenna has a view to be forward but I don’t see it just yet. Normally with Hooker you may look to play him forward…but McKernan is solid and Stewart is right to go too. All depends for me on Hookers mobility…if it’s good and back to old ways…he is a great controlling defender with Hurls. Otherwise I can only see a forward role for him and a Stewart likely out of the side. Heppell likely to go now with a returning Smith adds a few more positions in jeopardy for a Langford, Guelfi type I would say. I have always thought our top 25 is actually very good so an interesting time for club with 99% available.

9 Likes

Ahh yes, the age old question of Hooker forward or back :blush:

I’m in the Hooker back camp myself.

2 Likes

I’ll believe it when I see it.
Even if he’s fit/healthy again is his body still capable of standing up to game time