Training Monday 9/1/17

Francis outpointing Hooker 3 times in marking contests is pretty amazing. He is going to be unstoppable for us in years to come.

Great to see Green also as he building up to fitness winning over the fans and his teammates. Will be an inspired pick up.

Is this saying more about Hooker than Francis? Is Hooker out of touch?

Francis outpointing Hooker 3 times in marking contests is pretty amazing. He is going to be unstoppable for us in years to come.

Great to see Green also as he building up to fitness winning over the fans and his teammates. Will be an inspired pick up.

No
From what I’ve seen Hooker has been in fantastic touch, in the air, on the ground as well as goalkicking and looks an absolute beast. It’s one of the few times I’ve seen Hooker out marked this pre season (and I think I’ve been about 4 times). What stood out was twice they were man on man in tussles and the other time he came in from the side and took took his run. All 3 were clean grabs where all lot of these contests just get spoiled. I know it’s only a small sample in a long pre season, but I haven’t seen Hurley be able to do that to him.

No
From what I’ve seen Hooker has been in fantastic touch, in the air, on the ground as well as goalkicking and looks an absolute beast. It’s one of the few times I’ve seen Hooker out marked this pre season (and I think I’ve been about 4 times). What stood out was twice they were man on man in tussles and the other time he came in from the side and took took his run. All 3 were clean grabs where all lot of these contests just get spoiled. I know it’s only a small sample in a long pre season, but I haven’t seen Hurley be able to do that to him.

Lid farken off. I’d have really liked to have seen that.

It seems so trite to worry if Hirdy's situation will impact our season but worry I do...

Hopefully the boys hold up.

If Adelaide can play well after their coach got murdered mid season I would be surprised if it made any difference.

The position I am most puzzled about is the wings. I don't think we have natural wingmen like an Isaac Smith, Brad Hill type on pour list. Currently I have Parish and Zaka on my best 22 wings, but I see both as types that are best suited inside the contest. Colyer is a speedy gut runner but seems to flash in and out of games too much and is best suited to a half forward role. In time, McGrath and LAV may be able to play that role but not yet. Stanton doesn't have the leg speed or kicking skills for the role IMO. Any ideas based on what you've seen at training?

Stanton, Goddard, Zaka, Colyer and Laverde are my top picks. I think all offer different dimensions that could really throw oppositions off.

I wouldn’t mind seeing either of McKenna or Colyer on the wing. Particularly if McGrath takes a back flank which seems likely if not at the at the start then not long into the season providing pace there. I’m not sure McKenna is as good as he needs to be as a defender at the moment, but on the wing he could be a great weapon with his pace and great disposal.

Likewise Colyer would be a real asset linking up between the lines as he has the pace and endurance but is also a deceptively good mark for his size.

While on Colyer he is also someone that has looked terrific in the pre season, and his disposal had come on enormously from a few years ago to the point where at training he looks now to be one of the best kicks in the team. At a training session before Christmas he was working one on one with Greg Williams for about half after everyone else had left the field on his kicking technique and he looked great, and is getting a beautiful punching trajectory on the ball. He is certainly one I would have my eye on to take the next step this year.

I know this is the time for "if [insert unproven or under performing EFC player] could just turn into [insert standout player in the league achieving standout results year after year] then we'd be a much better side" statements.

BUT

If Josh Green gets himself fit and has the right attitude (not saying he necessarily had a poor attitude previously), him kicking 30/35 goals a season could change our side.

Alwyn Davey kicked 29 goals in 17 game during his final Season. Green needs to do more than just kick 30 goals if he is to get another contract after the season.

Ps. I was pretty ■■■■■■ off when we delisted Davey, as IMO you take the good with the bad when you are so deficient in an area like Goal kicking.

I know this is the time for "if [insert unproven or under performing EFC player] could just turn into [insert standout player in the league achieving standout results year after year] then we'd be a much better side" statements.

BUT

If Josh Green gets himself fit and has the right attitude (not saying he necessarily had a poor attitude previously), him kicking 30/35 goals a season could change our side.

We rolled the dice recruiting this guy , but its a chance worth taking considering he displays almost Breust levels of accuracy around goals.

BUT

Alwyn Davey kicked 29 goals in 17 game during his final Season. Green needs to do more than just kick 30 goals if he is to get another contract after the season.

Ps. I was pretty ■■■■■■ off when we delisted Davey, as IMO you take the good with the bad when you are so deficient in an area like Goal kicking.

I agree i thought that was a terrible decision at the time.

BUT

If he kicks 30 goals he’s a certainty for another contract

And Davey kicked 19 in his last season.

BUT

I agree i thought that was a terrible decision at the time.

I thought the issue was that his body was not coping with the injuries he was suffering. IIRC the thing that finished his career was that he broke his leg.

I wouldn't mind seeing either of McKenna or Colyer on the wing. Particularly if McGrath takes a back flank which seems likely if not at the at the start then not long into the season providing pace there. I'm not sure McKenna is as good as he needs to be as a defender at the moment, but on the wing he could be a great weapon with his pace and great disposal.

Likewise Colyer would be a real asset linking up between the lines as he has the pace and endurance but is also a deceptively good mark for his size.

While on Colyer he is also someone that has looked terrific in the pre season, and his disposal had come on enormously from a few years ago to the point where at training he looks now to be one of the best kicks in the team. At a training session before Christmas he was working one on one with Greg Williams for about half after everyone else had left the field on his kicking technique and he looked great, and is getting a beautiful punching trajectory on the ball. He is certainly one I would have my eye on to take the next step this year.

Really appreciate your training report/insights nackers. I also like your idea of Colyer and McKenna as wings. As you say McKenna’s pace and great disposal makes him perfect for wing and should allow him to play with more freedom/natural flair. I also love how we got Diesel to help with skills and hopefully good decision making.

BUT

bruh…

30 goals would have Josh Green finishing in the following positions in our goalkicking medal, going back through the years:

2016: 2nd
2015: 2nd (Joe wins with 34…)
2014: 1st
2013: = 1st (Crameri 30 as well)
2012: 2nd (Crameri with 32)
2011: 4th (1st wins with 34)

BUT

bruh…

30 goals would have Josh Green finishing in the following positions in our goalkicking medal, going back through the years:

What’s Matthew Lloyd up to these days? That is depressing reading. It’s fine if you’ve got 6 blokes getting those numbers, but not one or two.

BUT

Yeah but Alwyn was a CHF. Hardly a fair comparison.

You could rotate CHF between Green and TIPPA while Joe is out.

Green loves a fistpump.

Please, please be the guy who kicks 6 against Collingwood on ANZAC day and fistpumps to the feral crowd!

Gees green plays well off a big monster forward, of which we’ll have a few this year.

Colyer will have a ripper season, will be a problem for opposition teams, also could be up in the 20 to 30 goals mark.

We suddenly look like we have a decent forwardline, woo.

BUT

bruh…

What’s Matthew Lloyd up to these days? That is depressing reading. It’s fine if you’ve got 6 blokes getting those numbers, but not one or two.

We kicked 200 goals in 2016, Adelaide doubled that. To get anywhere near them, we need our 4 top forwards kicking 60 each, and about 10 other players chiming in with an average of about 15 goals each. Not likely.

Even if a team of flat track bullies kicks 400 goals, it still doesnt necessarily win it a flag. The Bulldogs won the flag with 300 goals ! 300 is achievable for us in 2017.

BUT

We rolled the dice recruiting this guy , but its a chance worth taking considering he displays almost Breust levels of accuracy around goals.

Not when Essendon is done with him.

No

RIP Hurley.