Training Report - 1st Feb 2019

Great work MP18

Geez Joey is looking good

8 Likes

Problem is the first Big Mac he sees he’ll ramadan his throat
:shushing_face:

5 Likes

17 Likes

Contrary to popular belief, Ramadan is not really a period of fasting. Its a period of feast. The fasting is simply a strategy to help people enjoy the food more because when the sun sets they eat mega amounts of food and actually put on weight.

1 Like

So during Ramadan eating during the day is fine?

No, I believe they fast between dawn and dusk during Ramadan.

Thanks.

Mutch in a moonboot? Poor kid…

With all the rehabbing going on it’s hard to know where we are at with injuries.

E.g. If we had a game tomorrow would Heppell play? Smith?

Sure, some of those rehabbing will be fine in a months time, however we can probably expect a few more niggles along the way. How do our injuries compare to those at other clubs?

So you’re telling me Saad is going to be that fat (if not moreso…) all year?? We’re screwed!!..

1 Like

Sure was a nice day for it.

A couple of minutes into match sim Noah Gown takes an excellent pack mark in the forward line. 1 minute later the ball comes back in and he does it again. 4 contested marks later and I’m totally on the Gown train. There will be some good VFL watching this year.
Begley performed very well in the running drills. He looks determined to get back into the side.

The defenders running laps were interesting. Ambrose blasted off out front as usual but Ridley pulled alongside and didn’t let Ambrose get away. These guys are probably playing for the same spot in the team and neither of them would give the other an inch.

Tippa looks to be in very good form. Took some lovely marks, evaded several tackles and made some pinpoint passes.

Redman came out later and did some walking and boxing.

36 Likes

Is it just me or does the ‘didn’t get a full preseason group’ seem particularly long and star-studded this year.

Joe, hepp, Merrett, hooker, Fanta, Smith, Conor, Gleeson, Redman, hooker, tbell, lav, Fanta, Begley, Mutch. No doubt in missing others

2 Likes

I see it as a very good sign that Joey backed up his step up on Wednesday, and took part in match sim again. No backing off to ensure no soreness, so good signs.
Is Gown outmarking Hurley a good sign for Gown or a bad sign for Hurley? That’s the dilemma of intraclub - are you glass half full or glass half empty?

2 Likes

Or a young bloke busting his ■■■ for a spot and Hurls who’s taking it a little easy because he’s a sure thing for the next few years.

*i hope

6 Likes

Can’t wait to see Stringer plough through packs again this season. Nice to hear the “highlight of the session” was Jakey in the guts.

This is sad though

2 Likes

Depends on how you define “didn’t get a full preseason “
As was mentioned in the last update Joey actually got more miles in his legs when he wasn’t in match sim
It seems like we’ve moved into match drills and sims much earlier this year
Gone are the days of not touching a footy till February
So it makes sense more blokes are rotating in and out
The only concerns would be those who haven’t been able to build a fitness base or who’ve had a major interruption
Gleeson Redman and maybe Zach and McKenna

1 Like

McGrath is a superstar in the making. Hold on to your seats folks, its happening.

5 Likes

A few of my observations at training today, I left at about 12:

The boys interchanged between doing match simulation and then various other drills such as tackling, the half ground drill as mentioned above and a few others. One drill I paid close attention to was one where the fwds would sprint 50m or so, walk 25 and then sprint another 50 then attempt to take a set shot under that fatigue. The players that stood out in this drill for mine with their sheer accuracy at set shots were Smack, tippa, raz and lav, who almost never missed. Joe was about 50/50, but im sure he’ll get there.

The rehab group contained Hooker, dea, fletch jr, Gleeson and Begley, raz and Joe joining in with the drills and not the match sim. However, the rehab group weren’t just running but doing some kicking drills also.

Merrett, Hep, Mutch and Redman did some boxing work on the sidelines without participating much in training, hep being nice enough to come and talk to some of the fans that came out today.

Thoughts on some individual players

Joe: Was very vocal in the forward drills telling players when and where to run, just goes to show how important he is to our forward structure. Was running and jumping well, even practicing rucking, sprayed a few shots at goal, but I’m sure he’ll work on that once he becomes closer to 100%.

McGrath: Was outstanding in and out of traffic in March sim and the drill, took a lot of running bounces, was dangerous around goal, having a few shots running into 50 and looks primed to have a big one this year. Very bullish about him. Him and shiel combined really well in these drills and looked very dangerous.

Gown: had some good hands, missed some sitters. He looks a talent, made an impact and was a presence up fwd in the transition drill, he’s great one on one, slotted a goal or two, but seems to need to work on his set shots.

Shiel is just a massive presence, loves a clearance and drew the ball near him when resting forward, love seeing him burst out of packs. Does kick some big floaters, if he can tidy that up, the spot for our #1 mid is up for grabs.

Draper working on his fwd craft rested there in the second bit of match sim. typical ruckmans kick but beautifully outmarked franga at times. Absolutely sprayed a shot from 20m on a slight angle, to the amusement of the squad.

Stringer: Loves a don’t argue, was really impacting contests and snagged a few goals too. Loved the play where he broke 2 or 3 tackles and hit Jimmy Stewart lace out.

One thing to also note was the intensity of the training, most of the players going really hard, a few little spitfires flying around, like when Jok wrapped up smith and slammed him to ground, he was far from happy and another incident when Long attempted to clean up belly in a marking contest, the players are fired up, angry and have a bit of mongrel about them. I’m excited to see this directed at the opposition this season.

59 Likes

Totally agree. A guy like Fanta has basically had a full pre-season in terms of running. Did he miss any time at all?

1 Like

Tom Bellchambers and Zac Clarke fought a fascinating battle in the ruck, with the Bombers to consider playing two traditional ruckmen in the same side this season.”

Can’t see it happening.

1 Like