Training Report - 1st Feb 2019

And they didn’t say Clarke would be one of the two :wink:

2 Likes

Was seriously super impressive today and I’m convinced he’s ready to take the next step, just looked so clean. Linked up so well with shiel too

2 Likes

19-Jan-2019, going off the most logical date format, the Julian calendar

3 Likes

This is what this club has been missing for a very long time.

Merrett, Smith and a few others enjoy burying the opposition but I would like to see a bit more of unsociable football.

5 Likes

We’ve only got two traditional ruckmen, and Clarke ain’t one of them…

2 Likes

100% agree, hopefully we can ingrain this into our game style, make the opposition earn the ball by hurting them and being hard at it.

1 Like

very encouraging - if they are prepared to rough up a teammate then there should be no fear or half steps taking out an opposition player.

1 Like

Neither DClarke, nor DParish troubling the reporters to give them a mention?

Geelong were experts at getting under the oppositions skin when they were winning their flags.

Merrett is very good at driving opponents into the ground.

Parish did some good things, really overshadowed by McGrath though, who was outstanding.

6 Likes

Thank you for all the reports… sounding really positive. Countdown clock is on!

I’ll probably continue adding pieces as my memory wanders but to start with:

• Very windy so kicking and marking was at a low standard.
  • Begley is a beast. He is surprisingly one of the best runners in the group. Can see him taking baguley role up forward as soon as he’s ready. They have to make a choice if they want him to become a gut running fwd flanker or midfielder. Choice has to happen soon if we want to get the most out of his career. Someone of that size, skill set and endurance is going to be a hell of a player.
  • The hype of McGrath is real. Heppell and Merrett are not training and Smith is only getting back into but McGrath is spreading like Judd and Ablett in there prime. However I don’t see him lacing out a fwd every time he clears. Kicking is not a strength. Leadership is right up there though, he’s next inline to be introduced to the leadership group. I really think he’s shaping to become a top 5 player for us by the end of this year. Seriously tearing it up.
  • Shiel is looking good but not a great kick either. In a running drill beside McGrath and Langford, you can clearly see a few more pre seasons in his legs. Dominated the last few efforts, didn’t fatigue as easy as the others.
  • Ridley looks very good, highly likely he’s playing round 1.
  • Zaka, killed it.
  • Parish has improved and will be as good as anyone getting the ball on the inside, reads it like no other.
  • Francis was seriously lagging in running drills, quite deflating. However did somethings in match sim that was a class above. Himself, Saad and Stringer are them guys that are good for 20 seconds when it’s there time to go but workhorses, not so much.
  • smith and Walla combined for a really good goal from a flank, a few keeping off handballs and then Walla drifted forward for Smith to kick it over the top.
  • Smith was also at another level in tackling drills. He doesn’t hold back and will drop anyone given the chance. McGrath, Myers, Parish and Mynott were others to not hesitate.
  • Mynott is progressing well, will find it hard to get a gig. Someone we were begging for in years past but now there’s a few guys to take over to get a game on the inside. He can seriously play and worth trialling on a flank in VFL and be a utility Guelfi type to get him into the team.
  • Guelfi confident, lot of talk. Very much belongs.
  • Zerk run rings around Stewart. Not sure if that’s good on him or that’s just where Stewart’s at.
  • overheard one of our leaders talking to coaches about how far we’re off some tactic stuff and there’s a lot we need to get better at before r1. I think in regards to converting with ball in hand.
  • on that, our defence looks strong so not sure if it’s a positive on defence or our skills and forwards are just a bit off the pace.
  • Smack looked really good forward, but endurance is iffy.
  • Gown and Mozzie look good. Not a fan of Jok, can’t see it.
  • Laverde looking lean.
  • Myers is first choice mid, strength of a key position player and clever.
  • Draper couldn’t get the distance from a set shot 25 m out. Got a good laugh from the rehab group.
  • Heppell is an A or B cup from viewing him boxing in a bra. Fit as hell though.
62 Likes

Ambitious !

3 Likes

So Francis’s hamstrings are fine?

In the tackling drill most players who dropped there opponent rubbed there faces into the grass. If we’re doing it to our own teammates expect it all season long.

8 Likes

Merrett’s bad influence, not a good look ect ect ect

2 Likes

Music to my ears

Love the aggression something the team has been lacking for a very long time

3 Likes

So you reckon the club will play Draper and TBC at some point? Not sure if that is a good idea.

27 Likes